Diablo® III

Ram question

So my questions is this...

if i up my ram from 6gig to say... 8, or more.. will that help me be able to play in windowed mode?

i currently have a laptop ( please no "get a desktop crap, i cant right now) it is here --> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863099&cc=us&lc=en&product=5141405

and i have a 2nd monitor that i am going to use to multibox... i can do it, IF i play on windowed mode, but it will run just a little laggy, just enough to be annoying, but still playable...

will increasing the ram help this issue?

If i play on full screen, which is what i played through 67 paragon levels with, it will mess up the 2nd monitor.. (takes some of it over, and pushed the other thing on 2nd monitor off the screen???)

I do plan to get a desktop with in the year, but for now i want to be able to play d3 on main, and watch, or something in 2nd monitor, or multibox, one toon in each... will ram help this? i can upgrade ram, but not graphics card or video card...

thanks for the help, and please no "go buy a desktop"

have a good day!
Reply Quote
I doubt an extra 2 gigs of ram will help. I suspect the issue is the graphics unit. You're running integrated graphics, which is generally fine for media playback and light gaming, but not for multiple monitors.
Reply Quote
I'd agree with Cesspool, and say that on a cursory reading of your systems specs, that the Intel Integrated graphics is probably the problem.

No real way around it either. It being an Intel graphics card makes it worse, since sometimes, it doesn't even support some of the "standard" features that ATI or NVIDIA based cards would, and on top of that, is often times, not even fully supported or cared about by the gamer developers, since they are few and far between.
Reply Quote
well, if you are using Windows...

1 - run the game in window mode then press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
2 - play for 1 minute
3 - check the resources window and see if ram is 100% being used
Reply Quote
thanks guys, and after i posted, i decided that I will be upgrading to 16 gig of ram, if it will help...

I will try that Tgod, where can i find the resources window?
Edited by GlyKon#1909 on 2/5/2013 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
So i did it and ....

40%CUP USAGE, 3.74GB memory, 70 processses

hope that will help out, if not, let me know what excactly ineed to look for.

like i said, i can play just fine when i have 1 monitor.
Reply Quote
uh if your CPU usage is at like 50%+ while playing that means your computer's brain is stressing out at 50% of its power trying to keep up, if the memory is at like 6/6gigs used on physical memory then your game is eating up all your memory along with other things, so when your CPU runs out of memory it just likes to randomly close things on its own or somethign else or just shut off once it's reached its paging maximum, D3 isn't very optimized. For 7 gigs worth of material on hard drive space it offers not very much at all.

If none of those are at their maximums then you just need a betetr vid card.

edit: oh just realized ur on laptop... well uh.. guess my only suggestion is kill off processes that aren't needed to run >_>"
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/5/2013 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Do a google search for egpu.

Be ready for some lengthy articles and tech talk. This is a way you can add a desktop video card to a laptop, I can't tell you for certain if its something that will work with your specific laptop, but if you do the research you should be able to find that out for yourself. You won't get this done as cheap as adding a couple sticks of ram, probably around $150 plus whatever video card you decide on, but your gaming performance will improve a lot more than if you just added ram.

If this is a solution that will work on your laptop, you should be able to buy a video card with a display port and a dvi, the dvi then run to your second monitor, and display port pumped back into your laptop display(you take a performance hit doing this compared to using an external display, but should still be drastically better than your integrated card, unless you actually have 2 spare monitors laying around).

As for the ram, it honestly couldn't hurt, ram is stupid cheap right now, I'd recommend going with a pair or 8GB sticks, giving you the 16max that your laptop supports
Reply Quote
Thanks so much everyone, tomorrow i will read up on egpu and see if i can figure that out.

I will prbably go up to 16 GB of ram, its only 100 bucks, plus whatever the place will charge to put in.

I did manage to play today windowed mode, 1/2 the screen, with a stream and internet up on other monitor... it lagged like crap though when i scrolled over to 2nd monitor.

I may just say screw it and get a desktop... since i do want to maybe start streaming and i give up on console games in general.
Reply Quote
ya your prob is not ram its the on-bored gpu
Reply Quote
Thanks so much everyone, tomorrow i will read up on egpu and see if i can figure that out.

I will prbably go up to 16 GB of ram, its only 100 bucks, plus whatever the place will charge to put in.

I did manage to play today windowed mode, 1/2 the screen, with a stream and internet up on other monitor... it lagged like crap though when i scrolled over to 2nd monitor.

I may just say screw it and get a desktop... since i do want to maybe start streaming and i give up on console games in general.

yes plz do get a desk top and plz do give up console gaming its crap compared to pc gaming if u need any help on what to get / do play email at dhkenny2001@yahoo.com i build gaming rigs for living kinda my thing lol
Edited by kenny#1506 on 2/12/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks man, i for sure be getting a nice PC eventually, and yea, my consoles are basicly used for dvd/blue rays, and working out lol.

ill shoot ya an email!
Reply Quote
email sent
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]