Diablo® III

Please Decrease Drops and Improve Rolls instead.

I dont mind decreasing the drops but the rolls definitely need improving for rares. I think the 2h rares need a boost in order to compete with the skorns or manticores out there. The highest DPS for 2H Xbow is only about 1320 and for 2H weapon is only about 1360. The bad thing is both roll without socket, CD or any main stat which makes them simply useless.
Reply Quote
How bout not talking about itemization. Again, stay on track. This is about changing the drops.

For everything they need to tighten the RNG range on all higher level items. And then raise the hell out of minimum damage amounts (whether it's the roll or the base numbers) for high level weapons.

Then decrease the hell out of drops to compensate for better items all round, and everyone will be a lot happier to find items. :D
Reply Quote
How bout not talking about itemization. Again, stay on track. This is about changing the drops.

For everything they need to tighten the RNG range on all higher level items. And then raise the hell out of minimum damage amounts (whether it's the roll or the base numbers) for high level weapons.

Then decrease the hell out of drops to compensate for better items all round, and everyone will be a lot happier to find items. :D

I'm talking about changing the drops too.

You want to raise the minimum on a stat.
So do I.
You want to lessen the total amount of items / rares that drop but increase the floor and potential for getting closer to the ceiling than is currently allowed.
So do I.
You said there are certain affixes that shouldn't be able to roll on particular items.
So did I.

So we're both on track. Unless me saying a drop should have the potential for better rolls than what's currently allowed is different than you saying a drop should have the potential for better rolls than what's currently allowed.
Reply Quote
have you played diablo 2? rares are suppose to be hard to be godly
Reply Quote
View profile
I remember back when the game was released. I was like "Wooooooooooooooooooh! A rare! Might be good :)"

Now I'm like "So, how much inventory room I still have?".

They took a turn for the worse.

02/05/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Kevin
have you played diablo 2? rares are suppose to be hard to be godly

At least in Diablo 2, Unique items were good enough for you until you could find that GG circlet.

Legendary items are just too random right now -_- but that's another topic.
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 2/5/2013 7:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
One thing that would be really nice is if they changed "bonus item" for higher monster power to some sort of roll buff, balanced to give the same overall quality of loot but with lower droprates of crap. This way, you wouldn't really be getting better loot by running higher monster power, but it would feel that way and your reward for running higher MP is to not have to sort through as much junk.
Reply Quote
rares are also there for added income...reducing the drop rates will hurt alot of players trying to farm as they wont get much gold per run...you ppl leaving alot of rares on the ground are leaving 1k-3k gold piles lying about...those suckers add up especially for peeps who are not pay to play....decrease the drop rate and u might as well forget trying to play without spending money
Reply Quote
Well along with this idea ALL items should be increased in vendor worth. Rares should sell at vendors for minimum 5K gold and legendarys starting at 10K.

@Turnbuckle, Yes we are both saying the same thing, I was just saying not to do into actual affix detail too much just concentrate on how to decrease drop rates (making rares rare) in an efficient way. The legendary thing should be change accordingly. With the minimum rolls being higher to eliminate this emotion drain of finding items with labels that are meant to get you excited and then just being dissapointed time after time.

Again, make it exciting to find rares (considering they should be rare) and Legendarys (considering they should be legendary).
Reply Quote

Again, make it exciting to find rares (considering they should be rare) and Legendarys (considering they should be legendary).

follow along this line of reasoning and u will get ppl leaving in droves IMO...even if u increase the vend prices of rares,,,the drop rate will be so reduced that it will still be a mad cut in farming efficiency for those who use them for supplemental gold income...not only that...but there is a small sense of reward when seeing that orange light beam shoot for the sky...even if it is a crap legendary there is a small sense of actually accomplishing something...people are already complaining legends dont drop enough...apply this line of thinking to the game and the remote possibility of getting anything will drive even more people from the game...remember games work on a psychological level too...any reward however small or insignificant impacts overall enjoyment...decrease the frequency rewards and you will decrease the overall frequency of the feeling of accomplishment.satisfaction and enjoyment..while the argument here IS A LOGICAL one , it isn't practical IMHO
Reply Quote
I agree with OP observation. The biggest problem is not few valuable drop, it's too many junk, and trying to recognize a good drop withing those junk are tiresome.

I agree with OP suggestion to increase the minimum rolls of rare and reduce drop rate. I also wish to offer another suggestion.

Change the drop of White and Blue in Inferno to gold drop equal as their npc value or even less. It's tiresome to keep obtaining something useless over and over again.
Reply Quote
Rare is a hold-over name from earlier ARPGs and MMO's. It does not really mean the item type is "rare." It's a measure of expected quality, not really of rareness. At least, not at higher levels.

I definitely agree that roll ranges should be better--they should, in general, be tightened up towards the higher end of what they can reach. I've been arguing this almost since launch.

If this was done perfectly, I wouldn't have an actual problem with rares being rarer. But even with better stat ranges, making them rarer is unnecessary and counter-intuitive.

Consider when you started the game. You MIGHT equip a grey if there was nothing else for that slot yet; you can and did equip whites. Slowly, you gained blues. After a couple of bosses, you might have found a yellow or two, if you were lucky. (Note that I am ignoring the dearth of good drops that starts about mid nightmare to early hell.) Not too long after, you were ignoring whites completely. By Inferno, if not sooner, you were completely ignoring blues.

Note that drop rate of higher qualities from rares/elites DOES tend to improve as you get further in the game. Maybe it's just a function of more items being dropped, but the fact is, it's true. I've fought a ton of rares/elites in Normal without even a blue dropping. By Inferno, I expect one kill to drop several blues and at least one yellow.

Therefore, there is no real reason to decrease the drop rate of rares, unless:
A: They improve in ACTUAL quality so much that lower drop rates is acceptable, or,
B: The player is a sadistic b******, and wants to punish everyone.
Reply Quote
frankly, its not that they should raise the floor or anything.

maybe they should give people affinities to build to.
you get to buy % points (with exponential costs), using eg: points from paragon level.
cc affinity
ias affinity
c.dmg affinity
primary affinity
ar affinity
vit/life% affinity.
OS affinity

it will eliminate one of the random rolls on rare gear and make it the affinity stat that passes the %roll (from highest to lowest) and if it fails all rng rolls for affinity, then it goes to the original random.roll.

(so eg: you may be able to get something like 10% cc affinity before it becomes too expensive to buy), that way all mempos you find have a 10% chance of being a cc mempo

(and it'll stack with crafting too).

what that does to the economy on the other hand is a different matter.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/5/2013 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
I would actually see 1 rare droping every few elites and actually has some good stats on it and most importantly be sellable on ah, then 2-5 rares at each elite and all of them are just vendoring staff.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Trance
I would actually see 1 rare droping every few elites and actually has some good stats on it and most importantly be sellable on ah, then 2-5 rares at each elite and all of them are just vendoring staff.

That'll just flood the market with slightly better items and you've accomplished nothing. The best items will still be out of your reach and the market will adjust to the slightly better items accordingly. Then once again people will crawl back here to the forums complaining that nothing sells.
Reply Quote
still i think it would be better then now, at least you wouldnt have to pick up all unneccessary crap
Reply Quote
i love how ppl call trash items unnecessary crap then complain when they have no gold...lmfao
"oooh ooh i get 100k-300k per run!"pick up that crap ur talking about and u can prolly double or triple that....nerf the drops and u just !@#$ everyone
Reply Quote
We all feel "Rares" are not rare anymore. So please make them rare again.

Just without this stupidly huge range of RNG scale for each ilvl.

Lower drop rates and lower RNG roll ranges and the item hunt is fixed. (Itemization on the other hand is another issue all together)

You mean like how Pre-patch 1.0.3 Rares were actually rare, and about 1 out of 4 would roll good stats. Then people CRIED about how not enough rares dropped.

While there were a ridiculous amount of issues with this game on release, rare drop chance and QUALITY was one of the things that was right from the start. Unfortunately people convinced Blizzard to change it. I find it incredibly unlikely for Blizzard to change it back at this point.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 01:53 AMPosted by TianZi
While there were a ridiculous amount of issues with this game on release, rare drop chance and QUALITY was one of the things that was right from the start.

I've been playing since launch.

You and I have clearly been playing different games.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 02:06 AMPosted by Japhasca
While there were a ridiculous amount of issues with this game on release, rare drop chance and QUALITY was one of the things that was right from the start.

I've been playing since launch.

You and I have clearly been playing different games.

Maybe you were farming the wrong areas in May/June, or simply rolled the wrong class so you started farming inferno late. I really don't know, but some of the best rares I've found through my entire time playing were back in May/June from Inferno Whimsyshire.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]