Reduce damage from elites by X%

How does that thing work?
Reply Quote
nobody knows?
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:20 PMPosted by eviLal3x
How does that thing work?

Irrelevantly.

It's meaningless in regards to better rolls.
Reply Quote
It's a reduction from the damage you take from elites... It's multiplicative, not additive.

If you are currently sitting at 500 AR, then 80 AR will give you roughly 11% damage reduction from everything, 7% reduced damage from elites (as can be found on blackthorne's boots) will give you a 7% reduction from elites. So yes, AR is always better than reduction from elites.
Reply Quote
what if im sitting at 900+ all resists? 7% damage reduction from elite will be far better then?
Reply Quote
EDIT: Forgot to divide out a factor, whoops! It's still negative and unreachable, though.

EDIT 2: Holy hell my math is terrible. Blame the flu. Just gonna....destroy this monstrosity before I taint anyone with it.
Edited by DrakonIL#1777 on 2/8/2013 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you are currently sitting at 500 AR, then 80 AR will give you roughly 11% damage reduction from everything, 7% reduced damage from elites (as can be found on blackthorne's boots) will give you a 7% reduction from elites. So yes, AR is always better than reduction from elites.

One data point surely does not cover all.

However, the point where 7% damage reduction = 80 AR is at -25.31 all resist. And as the data point above shows, anything higher than that, AR still beats DR, so we can assume that for DR to be better than AR, you'd need less than -25.31 resist all.

NOW you can say 80 AR is better than 7 reduction. But, of course, both is even better :)

EDIT: Forgot to divide out a factor, whoops! It's still negative and unreachable, though.

This is the kind of crap result that comes up when someone who doesn't know what he's doing, attempts to give a shot at math

Have either of you EVER heard of diminishing returns?

Okay I know the answer is no, so I'll just point out one, one small example.

If you already have 1200 all resist, 7% reduced damage from elites will provide you twice the damage mitigation (from elites only) than 63 more all resist.

what if im sitting at 900+ all resists? 7% damage reduction from elite will be far better then?

At 900 all resist, it won't be "far" better, but it will be better if you only care about elite damage. At this point, 7% damage reduction equals 105 more all resist.
Reply Quote
Its multiplicative. If you have 7% 7% 7% 7% it gets to roughly 25.19% reduction. This is then multiplicative with your dr from skills, armor and all ress. Or if you prefer It reduces the damage you would otherwise sustain by 1/4.

Anyone who says its worthless because it 'only' effects elites is misleading you. Elites are the only things that should ever kill you.

It is not a substitute for all ress or armor, but is quite capable of replacing a skill like shout which only hits 20%.

PS. players are elites as of 1.07
Reply Quote
Well I am only gearing for pvp, thats why I was asking
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]