Diablo® III

enhance dam % matter for 2 soc manti 1.07?

I have couple questions for you guys. In preparing for next patch and pvp, I am thinking about switching from my 1276/68% calamity to a 1280+/80% 2 soc manticore. I feel like I need a boost in my dps so im gonna switch and go to the dark side! ^^

1. With the new marque gems coming out, do you guys believe they will stay with the way gems are on the ptr or will they increase it up again before they nerfed it? If so, should I stay with my calamity, or would a 2 socket manti still give me about a 25k - 30k increase?

2. With the way the new rubies will be calculated, does the enhanced dam % on a 2 soc manti matter? Will we have to put 1 emerald and 1 ruby for next patch? I see a lot of them with enhance damage ranging from like 30% all the way up to 50%. How much difference will the dps be from like a 35% to a 45% manticore?

if anyone is interested in my calamity or if you have a manti for sale, let me know. thanks
Reply Quote
I calculated that a Marquise Ruby + Marquise Emerald is the best gem combo for my weapon. Unfortunately the Radiant Star Ruby can't compete with the Radiant Star Emerald and thus I need to go double emerald until I get the Marquise plans.

Also, yes, the Damage +% affix does boost the effectiveness of rubies. Please visit my post on emeralds vs rubies:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811152897

for more information. I spent some time analyzing the differences but your question as to how much better one gem will be over another can be calculated using the formulas in the paper.
Reply Quote
Iria,
I Looked at your paper. While it was very detailed, and the I'm sure the math was sound, it doesn't really help the layperson in this discussion.

Secondly, while your estimates calculated the effects for each set up across the board, it didn't consider real-world examples... comprising of say the most common builds.

For example, for a 2h, it's safe to assume the majority of players will be using a skorn, rather than a "random weapon", same can be said for 1h+ quiver user - almost certainly a calamity. These real examples would provide real answers to real situations, rather than very broad conclusions.

In my case (calamity), the Ruby gives a NOTICABLE dps buff (16k, vs 4k from the new emerald). Other guys with high-end builds have reported similar (the only question being the size of the buff).
It's safe to assume people spending 100mill on a gem are running a relatively high-end build.

To answer the OP. Yes %WD matters. The ruby gives 150min + 150max. (so 150 avg dmg). On a manticore with 1.21 AS that works out to 181.5 DPS, with a 50% ed manticore, the ruby would be giving 225-225 (225avg), which results in 272.25 DPS.
Thus, each % of weapon dmg is worth an extra 1.815 DPS from the ruby. If your manticore is a 1.22 AS one, then each % of weapon dmg is worth an extra 1.8315 DPS.
Reply Quote
In my case (calamity), the Ruby gives a NOTICABLE dps buff (16k, vs 4k from the new emerald). Other guys with high-end builds have reported similar (the only question being the size of the buff).
It's safe to assume people spending 100mill on a gem are running a relatively high-end build.

Hey Menlyn,
Do you think Marquise Ruby would be better for my Calamity? It's 1300dps (49%WD and 11%IAS).
Your's is 50%WD but 10%IAS.
Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
With the recently change to ruby gem, the +% damage no longer affects the added damage, it will just be flat +120 mini damage and +120 max damage to your weapon.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 01:28 PMPosted by Cyon
With the recently change to ruby gem, the +% damage no longer affects the added damage, it will just be flat +120 mini damage and +120 max damage to your weapon.

Wrong. The change, affected how min/max was calculated regarding black damage weapons (it was counting the min damage twice). The %weapon damage still plays a very important part.

Before the change, the marquise ruby was giving me approximately 44k extra DPS, after the change it gives me approximately 16k. Unless there is a 3rd change which hasn't been posted by blizzard, nor is live on the PTR, then you're incorrect.

PS, it's 150/150 on the marquise.

Hey Menlyn,
Do you think Marquise Ruby would be better for my Calamity? It's 1300dps (49%WD and 11%IAS).
Thanks in advance.

I don't think.. I know :-)

With your build right now, the marquise emerald will give you an extra 3.4k dps.
The marquise ruby will give you 16.6k dps
This is including archey, but excluding steady aim, and any others buffs/follower.

However, as mentioned earlier... this all depends on your build, If you change some items, it's very possible that your results will vary. (however a calamity like yours or mine, is by far the item most likely to benefit from the new ruby IMO)
Reply Quote
With your build right now, the marquise emerald will give you an extra 3.4k dps.
This is including archey, but excluding steady aim, and any others buffs/follower.

However, as mentioned earlier... this all depends on your build, If you change some items, it's very possible that your results will vary. (however a calamity like yours or mine, is by far the item most likely to benefit from the new ruby IMO)

Thanks. gonna invest in marquise ruby then.
Reply Quote

Wrong. The change, affected how min/max was calculated regarding black damage weapons (it was counting the min damage twice). The %weapon damage still plays a very important part.

Before the change, the marquise ruby was giving me approximately 44k extra DPS, after the change it gives me approximately 16k. Unless there is a 3rd change which hasn't been posted by blizzard, nor is live on the PTR, then you're incorrect.

PS, it's 150/150 on the marquise.

Hey Menlyn,
Thanks in advance.

I don't think.. I know :-)

Quote from blue

The new buffed Rubies will do exactly what the tooltip claims. If a tooltip says +80 to Minimum Damage and +80 to Maximum Damage, then the damage on the weapon will go up by those amounts when the Ruby is socketed.•

So, for example, if you have a weapon with 150 - 200 damage and your Ruby adds +80 Min/+80 Max then your weapon will do 230 – 280 after inserting the Ruby.

•As another example, you have a “black” physical damage weapon that does 300-450 damage. If you insert a Ruby with +80 Min / +80 Max then your weapon will do 380 – 530 damage.

•One more example: You have a Fire damage weapon that does 150 – 200 damage and an extra 50-100 Fire damage. If you insert a Ruby with +80 Min / + 80 Max then your weapon will do 230-280 damage with an extra 50-100 Fire damage.

You are wrong, Bonus damage doesn't come into play at all here.
Edited by Cyon#1808 on 2/8/2013 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
None of those examples mentioned %ED.

A black weapon and a weapon with %Ed are 2 different things.

It's pretty clear what the result is based on what they said, and the subsequent change on the PTR.

So I'll stand by my original comment.

Let's say hypothetically, you're right. A Marquise ruby would give me less damage than a current radiant star emerald. Additionally, it's almost impossible to think of a real example (i.e. not some lvl 15 with a socket), where a ruby would be a preferable choice to an emerald. As it stands, even with %ED giving a bonus, the emerald is still a better choice in most cases.
Reply Quote
If you want to check your own stats just got to d3rawr.com and use its damage calculator.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 02:30 PMPosted by Iria
If you want to check your own stats just got to d3rawr.com and use its damage calculator.

I tried using d3rawr.com to calculate a manticore I wanted to buy. Here is the stats to the Manticore I'm interested in getting

1308 dps
848-1295 damage
1.22 att speed
2490-573 poison damage
45% damage
196 dex
ias 11%
75% crit damage
2 os

By using the add ruby button and taking out 110% crit damage i ended up getting a dps of 210,075.44 damage. The odd thing is.. when I changed the values of my 45% ehnanced damage to 35%, my overal dps went up. is d3rawr not working properly to calulate the Ed%? why the dps going up when I lower the ED%?

Menlyn mentioned about saying "If your manticore is a 1.22 AS one, then each % of weapon dmg is worth an extra 1.8315 DPS." So I'm getting confused with the calculations I'm getting from d3rawr.com. Going from 45% ED to 50% ED, my dps goes DOWN by like 500. Not much of a difference.
Reply Quote
TIESTO, I would recommend replacing other parts of your item build before worrying about swapping for mega-weapons. At the point you are at, there are a lot more cost-effective ways to increase your DPS.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 04:21 PMPosted by TIESTO

I tried using d3rawr.com to calculate a manticore I wanted to buy. Here is the stats to the Manticore I'm interested in getting

1308 dps
848-1295 damage
1.22 att speed
2490-573 poison damage
45% damage
196 dex
ias 11%
75% crit damage
2 os

By using the add ruby button and taking out 110% crit damage i ended up getting a dps of 210,075.44 damage. The odd thing is.. when I changed the values of my 45% ehnanced damage to 35%, my overal dps went up. is d3rawr not working properly to calulate the Ed%? why the dps going up when I lower the ED%?

Menlyn mentioned about saying "If your manticore is a 1.22 AS one, then each % of weapon dmg is worth an extra 1.8315 DPS." So I'm getting confused with the calculations I'm getting from d3rawr.com. Going from 45% ED to 50% ED, my dps goes DOWN by like 500. Not much of a difference.

LOL That manticore is mine, and I'm not selling it! I guess this one was duped then if you are able to buy a copy of it?
Reply Quote
On the latest PTR weapon damage% still matters. However, it's still not really confirmed since Blizzard isn't confirming it either way. The blue post that decided to show 3 examples seems to have avoided any weapons with %damage, probably because he doesn't actually know if it should or shouldn't effect it.

Right now the only people that really know are probably the Devs.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 10:39 PMPosted by Iria

1308 dps
848-1295 damage
1.22 att speed
2490-573 poison damage
45% damage
196 dex
ias 11%
75% crit damage
2 os

LOL That manticore is mine, and I'm not selling it! I guess this one was duped then if you are able to buy a copy of it?

really? lol I saw that one on the AH. wow yours got duped! maybe its coincidence? lol
Reply Quote
On the latest PTR weapon damage% still matters. However, it's still not really confirmed since Blizzard isn't confirming it either way. The blue post that decided to show 3 examples seems to have avoided any weapons with %damage, probably because he doesn't actually know if it should or shouldn't effect it.

Right now the only people that really know are probably the Devs.

i guess we will have to wait till patch day then.

anyone have a manti for sale? or interested in my calamity?
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 01:28 PMPosted by Cyon
With the recently change to ruby gem, the +% damage no longer affects the added damage, it will just be flat +120 mini damage and +120 max damage to your weapon

02/10/2013 12:29 AMPosted by TIESTO
i guess we will have to wait till patch day then.

And? ^^
Reply Quote
Tested it with a regular p square gem. %weapon damage still boosts the gem.
Reply Quote
So I just tested on live with my 39% damage manticore and radiant ruby + radiant emerald > 2 radiant emeralds. The percentage damage matters
Edited by Diaclone#1264 on 2/12/2013 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]