Diablo® III

Ask the Devs Update

Barring an actual zombie apocalypse? Nope.

So if the Devs are sick on Monday, you will still release the info?, That means you actually have all the info now. So if you have it , Why not just release it now?

Them being sick has nothing to do with they delay does it? It all has to be proof read so no real information is actually given out.

I dont see why they cant post it either just because some people are sick. Just one debacle after the other with blizzard these days
Reply Quote
lol this forum is so censored. It's funny to see the spattering of the overly enthusiastic, butt kissing, "we love you" posts that remain among a bunch of DELETED, DELETED, DELETED. Feels like North Korea in the D3 forums.

Blizz, in the words of Colonel Nathan R. Jessup;

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Reply Quote
+1 for the compassion from Dukun.
02/08/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Dukun
Seeing my daughter sick and home from school with the flu for the past 2 days I totally understand. Hope they drink lots of fluids and get better quick.

-10 for the rude from "the guntor"
02/08/2013 08:09 PMPosted by elGuntor
Wow. What ineptitude.

I know you're not five (ok, I would assume that you're not five) but seriously? If you expect someone to respect you, treat them with respect. I'm embarrassed for your parents, dude.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Pikoslav
All three of them?

Only funny sarcastic comment in the entire thread, all others are disgusting and maybe those posters should go get the flu instead.

Some of you really need to think before you post.
Reply Quote
Stop complaining, it's only 2 days away.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
That's pure hilarity. 3 devs?

Based on the questions the community asked (and voted up in popularity), there were certain developers we needed to reach out to in order to get meaningful answers -- in this case, our system design group.

The Diablo III team is pretty big, but it's made up of multiple working parts, and most of the designers tend to specialize. Certainly, not everyone on the team has been sick, but a tech artist, for example, wouldn't be the correct person to ask about the crafting costs for new Rare recipes. Similarly, a UI engineer isn't going to be able to pontificate on the reasons why we buffed certain Monk skills in 1.0.7, but not others. Unfortunately, it was our system designers that bore the brunt of what we've dubbed the "zombie plague" (they share an office, so it's not a big surprise that they also shared the same nasty flu strain).

We know it sucks that we had to postpone posting the developer answers by a few days. We don't like it, either. But rather than rush the responses or get someone else who isn't responsible for that specific area of design to try to provide answers, we decided to wait until the right people were back in the office. We wanted to make sure that your questions were given that level of attention and respect.

Is the situation ideal? No. Is it the end of the world? Maybe (I've watched enough movies to know this is usually how zombie apocalypses start). But if it is, it's not because the first Ask the Devs round of answers has been delayed until Monday.

Appreciate the update Lylirra. So now we got

The Good

1) It looks like they'll be better really fast which didn't put this behind much really (2-3 business days?)
2) We now know details of them having the right person for the right job answering the right questions
3) Lylirra is absurdly hot, especially when she uses big words to describe the situation

The Bad

1) The Flu
2) This ultimately delays 1.07, seemingly they want to wait for this ask the dev thing to release 1.07
3) Delaying based on user feedback isn't always the best solution (that's what point patches are for)

The Ugly

1) "Round One" ? So do we have to wait multiple rounds of this before 1.07 is released?!
2) The last big patch was *13 weeks ago* (1.05). That's a quarter of a year and counting...not good for business or Diablo for that matter. Too many are losing interest with this big wait.
3) There needs to be a huge rush in development and it seems like there's not enough devs
Reply Quote
No worries. Monday is pretty reasonable, if the answers are worthy.
Reply Quote
So while I understand that refining monk skills isn't a task thats given to the UI designer, I don't understand how your entire "pretty big" team can't know the reason why it was done.
How will the UI designer handle that you've fundamentally changed something he works with (but not on) if he doesn't understand what's going on?

One guy gets hit by a bus and suddenly no one knows why you're doing what you're doing?
Reply Quote
No problem with the delay, hope everyone gets well soon.

That being said, it would be fair if you posted a list of the top 30 questions with the most votes and their evaluation with a couple of words. It can´t take more than a few minutes if you have the questions ordered by number of votes.

To make the process even easier add numbers to the rules first:
1. one question per post
2. on topic - game and its design, patch 1.0.7
3. unrelated to new projects, expansions and release dates
4. concise
+ potential 5. we don´t want to release this information/want this info to stay hidden (mainly game mechanics)

Example:
1. 600 votes - link to question - answered
2. 550 votes - link to question - rule 2 off topic (not about 1.0.7)
3. 500 votes - link to question - rule 4 too long
4. 450 votes - link to question - answered
5. 400 votes - link to question - rule 5 game mechanics info we don´t want to release yet
6. 350 votes - link to question - rule 1 more than one question
7. 300 votes - link to question - rule 2 and 3 future patch/off topic
8. 250 votes - link to question - answered
etc.

I´m not asking for this sort of list to be included in the main "answers" post on the main page but rather as an update to your first post in the ask the devs thread
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398#1

The reasons for why this would be fair to us players is:
- knowing what other voters considered important
- why certain highly rated questions weren´t answered (if because of lacking votes or not following the rules)

This would be a transparent way of making sure the next time "Ask the devs" is open, more questions follow the rules and people don´t get disappointed instead because their highly rated questions were not answered and they don´t even know the reason why. I don´t think you want this smart project to backfire.

Being open about your decisions can never be a bad thing. The very least thing you could do is making it possible for us to see the number of votes.

Thank you for your time.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 2/9/2013 2:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:00 PMPosted by chrisko
they cant use computers at home?

Guess you didn't get the flu this season. It is really really bad. At least it was for me. I look forward to the answers and for D3 to go to 1.07 :)
Reply Quote
I suppose the flu is the H1N1 type? If not, there's no excuse for the delay.

Anyway, I'm sick too, this horrible game made me sick.

I swear I'd be playing Path of Exile if their servers were better...
Reply Quote
a UI engineer isn't going to be able to pontificate on the reasons why we buffed certain Monk skills in 1.0.7, but not others.

I hope you realize that most of the monk questions did not concern this. It is the fact that you went for pure number tweaks when you clearly stated before that this was NOT what the class needed, and that you needed to create offensive passives and fix spirit regeneration. Which basically means, the most needed fixes for monks aren't some random skill buffs.

We'll see with the answers, but now I do not think we'll even get the important question answered. So I guess we'll start another period of 4 weeks of silence after that. Some good communication you guys have going on.
Reply Quote
Lylirra, two things

* It's nice, we have an ETA
* You should have posted this earlier. Now it's looking like an excuse
Reply Quote
Due to many of our developers becoming flu-ridden zombies and needing to be quarantined so they could recover, we've had to postpone publishing the answers to your questions for the first round of Ask the Devs.

Rather than posting the answers this week (as originally scheduled), we'll now be posting them on Monday, February 11, around 10:00 a.m. PST. We sincerely apologize for the delay, and hope you can forgive us for our recent zombie outbreak. :(

I don't think anybody noticed. It's not like there is meaningful or open progression going on with D3. Im sick of the development this game is getting, hows that?

02/08/2013 07:22 PMPosted by Lylirra
Also, I thought that the questions should have been answered days ago. The reason we were told it would take this long was the need to translate it all into different languages and coordinate a release of information. Unless you guys were blowing smoke up our rectums on reddit....

It took us longer to get the responses, but the amount of time we need to get everything localized remains unchanged. That means we had to shift everything down a couple of days to accommodate the developers not being available (we originally wanted to post on Thursday, for example, but now we're going to post on Monday (note: we do observe weekends)).

This is how you guys run now? Can't even figure out why you changed stuff in the patch and can't be bothered to commit to a simple forum Q&A in a timeline that doesnt involve spans that cause me to forget the original topic (months-years).

!@#$ you losers, seriously.
Edited by p0t#1360 on 2/9/2013 3:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
That's pure hilarity. 3 devs?

Based on the questions the community asked (and voted up in popularity), there were certain developers we needed to reach out to in order to get meaningful answers -- in this case, our system design group.

The Diablo III team is pretty big, but it's made up of multiple working parts, and most of the designers tend to specialize. Certainly, not everyone on the team has been sick, but a tech artist, for example, wouldn't be the correct person to ask about the crafting costs for new Rare recipes. Similarly, a UI engineer isn't going to be able to pontificate on the reasons why we buffed certain Monk skills in 1.0.7, but not others. Unfortunately, it was our system designers that bore the brunt of what we've dubbed the "zombie plague" (they share an office, so it's not a big surprise that they also shared the same nasty flu strain).

We know it sucks that we had to postpone posting the developer answers by a few days. We don't like it, either. But rather than rush the responses or get someone else who isn't responsible for that specific area of design to try to provide answers, we decided to wait until the right people were back in the office. We wanted to make sure that your questions were given that level of attention and respect.

Is the situation ideal? No. Is it the end of the world? Maybe (I've watched enough movies to know this is usually how zombie apocalypses start). But if it is, it's not because the first Ask the Devs round of answers has been delayed until Monday.

Shouldn't you have a person to manage all these different jobs, someone who would have a say in all aspects in the game and be able to answer all the questions, it would be called something like "Lead Designer". Where's that guy?
Reply Quote
lol what a joke, can't wait to laugh even more at monday afternoon...
Reply Quote

Guess what? Blizzard is a corporation. Guess what else? Corporations run on corporation time. BUSINESS DAYS. PROJECTS GET DELAYED DUE TO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES.

I work in the corporate world. Things most definitely do not happen over night. Things happen; people get sick; project leaders move around and that delays things; people take vacations; THINGS HAPPEN.

Do you really? How about the corporate world where missed deadlines to your customers get you fired?

Internal planning and projects, maybe, but this is a little different. The trolls aside, there is a large amount of dissatisfaction over certain aspects of the game and the (lack of?) direction the patches are moving towards. On top of that, communication over these changes is already spotty. There have been epic misstatements....

You have a patch coming out where, for example, the monk community is a little jittery. There are questions on the logic of the SW nerf (when bliz already stated they are happy where monks are from a damage perspective). They received no news on promised skill changes and they get damage buffs that, while nice, do not change much. On top of that the damage buffs, being number tweaks, are exactly what the team said they were not looking to do when addressing the lack of build variety for monks.

It seems that getting straight answers to topics like these sooner than later would be very important. If anything, it would give a much clearer message to help alleviate the nonsense we see from the troll community.
Reply Quote
Guess what? Blizzard is a corporation. Guess what else? Corporations run on corporation time. BUSINESS DAYS. PROJECTS GET DELAYED DUE TO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES.

I work in the corporate world. Things most definitely do not happen over night. Things happen; people get sick; project leaders move around and that delays things; people take vacations; THINGS HAPPEN.

Do you really? How about the corporate world where missed deadlines to your customers get you fired?

They are giving a service, the deadline is not to the producer but to the customer, it's purely fictional. R-e-l-a-x.
Edited by Bloodraven#1809 on 2/9/2013 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
Flu? That's just the first of 7 plagues for not fixing the HC-killing DC debacle o/w known as russian-roulette.
Can't wait for the Gnats and Toads.
Let our toons go!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]