Diablo® III

Imagine a Bucket...

MVP
View profile
Imagine a 5 gallon bucket, or a pail, or maybe even a canister. (We're going to call this our Auction House)

Above that bucket, there is a constant source of dripping water. Now let's say this water drips at the rate of 1 gallon per day. (This is our players finding items and posting them to our Auction House)

Now, after 5 days, our bucket might fill completely with water. Not quite because you can account for some evaporation (Players quit the game) but definitely by the 6th day our bucket will be overflowing with stagnant water.

Now comes to question, what do you do with that water? The only way to keep that bucket from overflowing is to drain some of it off (Salvage items)

Now let's say some days I let people fill up a cup with that dripping water instead? I tell these people that they may NEVER empty their cups into the bucket. To get rid of the water, they will either have to drink it, or pour it out. (This would be allowing players to craft gear but not let them post it on the Auction House)

Well, the drip into the bucket might still overflow, but the severity is lessened.

Now there are a few solutions to our dilemma.

1) We find a way to consistently drain the bucket. (We give players an incentive to salvage)
- Make crafting worthwhile.

2) We expand the bucket. (Add more players)
- This can only be done by making the game better.

3) We stop the drip. (Make good items no longer drop)
- Completely out of the question.

So given our dilemma, how would you stop the bucket from overflowing?
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
View profile
Maybe if the water was more pure, people would be more willing to drink it.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Now, after 5 days, our bucket might fill completely with water. Not quite because you can account for some evaporation (Players quit the game) but definitely by the 6th day our bucket will be overflowing with stagnant water.

Depends on how much water is exposed to the air around it.

Well, I guess that really depends on how great the game is.

If it's a really poorly designed game, the bucket will be more like a giant flat lid.

If it's a really great game, maybe a 10 story test tube.

Right now, it seems to be just your run of the mill pail.

02/07/2013 07:54 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Maybe if the water was more pure, people would be more willing to drink it.

Clever point, I'll give you that.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/7/2013 7:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lose the bucket, let people find and have their own water. And if anyone wants to bring another bucket into the mix, tell them to take a hike.

We've got a real-life economy that constantly beats our financial heads in on a daily basis. We don't need this garbage in a video game.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Lose the bucket, let people find and have their own water. And if anyone wants to bring another bucket into the mix, tell them to take a hike.

We've got a real-life economy that constantly beats our financial heads in on a daily basis. We don't need this garbage in a video game.

I couldn't agree more, but the bucket exists and is here to stay.
Reply Quote
Fix the Auction House so I can sell more water!
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
02/07/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Spacey
Fix the Auction House so I can sell more water!

Well, you would need a much larger bucket to sell more water.

However, making the bucket twice as big and the flow of water twice as much yields the same result in the end. The bucket overflows.
Reply Quote
View profile
Or I could put it another way.

The water that is dropping (from Blizzard) is TOO distilled (quality). People don't like its taste (of finding nothing good) and it's devoid of any benefits that the water would naturally offer (grinding is not rewarding).
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Drothvader
the bucket exists and is here to stay.

Based on your opening post, I'd wager that the bucket is no longer worth the upkeep.

Get rid of it, and a whole slew of problems would likely be addressed. That bucket is the albatross around this game's neck.

I know people like the bucket (I know this, don't understand it), but I feel like it's taken this franchise, and possibly company as a whole, in a direction that most gamers do not want to follow.
Reply Quote
someones thought the bucket was the toilet. nobody wants yellow water sir
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Or I could put it another way.

The water that is dropping (from Blizzard) is TOO distilled (quality). People don't like its taste (of finding nothing good) and it's devoid of any benefits that the water would naturally offer (grinding is not rewarding).

I don't disagree and the analogy is a great fit as drinking distilled water will often suck nutrients out of your intestines rather than feed them valuable minerals.

However, regardless what the quality of the water is, the problem is still apparently the same.

Ladders, no bucket filled

Well, technically a ladder would be the equivalent of just dumping the bucket into your garden (Or in my case my fish tank as the water wouldn't even need treated for chlorine as the drip process will pretty much evaporate it for me. ^.^) and is still nonetheless a great solution, but sometimes our bucket water is bottled and sold as "Voss" to some other person for money (We call this the RMAH) even though if they're patient they can get it for free.

However, dumping the bucket regularly is a valid solution nonetheless.
Reply Quote
Simple way to drain the bucket

Don't allow auctions to be canceled and if the item doesn't sell it is automatically vendored
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Xhrix
Don't allow auctions to be canceled and if the item doesn't sell it is automatically vendored

The amount of rage would be heard for generations.

A better idea would probably be limiting each item to one singular auction. As it is, there's no stop-gap to prevent items from being sold, re-sold, re-sold, re-sold and re-sold on either AH. Rather than have the item automatically go to the vendor, the item should go back to the seller and they should make the decision on what to do (vendor, salvage, whatever).

I think BoA is an attempt to assist with this issue, but honestly most people seem to hate the thought.
Edited by Matticles#1220 on 2/7/2013 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
how about they stop the legendaries
make it only in holiday seasons
or a few weeks after a new patch
or how about we cannot post legendaries on the AH
or anything at level60 or higher for an item cannot be posted in the AH
something about top tiered stuff needs to be separate from the AH
or if the item is not sold in auction make it bind to account for 30 days
Edited by sonoranranch#1216 on 2/7/2013 8:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Clearly, you need more holes in your bucket.

I.e. if an item doesn't sell, get the players to pay a % of their listing price to get it back in their inventory.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
02/07/2013 08:15 PMPosted by sonoranranch
something about top tiered stuff needs to be separate from the AH

The rest of your post is a little extreme, but this last sentence is something that I would have thought would have been in the game since day 1.

I remember a Blizzcon Panel with Jay where he said the most top tiered items would be bound to your account, and literally everything else would be tradeable.

I really don't like the prospect of everything being readily available for sale. It kind of cheapens the game and devoids it of any accomplishment. That's just me personally though.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/7/2013 8:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Drothvader
I really don't like the prospect of everything being readily available for sale. It kind of cheapens the game and devoids it of any accomplishment. That's just me personally though.

Nailed it.

/highfive
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]