Diablo® III

Imagine a Bucket...

Make legendary items BoE. Make their rolls less random.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 2/8/2013 6:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
path of exile made all items useful due to crafting system
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:27 AMPosted by Menlyn
1. Salvaging items doesn't stop the bucket filling up. The only items people salvage are the crap ones. I find hundreds of rares a day, a good number of legendaries, most of which never see the AH. Most players experience the same. As salvaging doesn't discriminate between a good roll and bad roll, there's never any incentive to salvage a "good" item. Hence, the pool keeps filling up

They can certainly make changes to the salvaging process that would encourage "good" items to be salvaged. The higher the affix count the more (or better) salvaging material is produced. Create affix modifier crafting material that guarantees a certain affix to roll on a crafted item. This modifier would have a chance to be produced from salvaging an item with the affix already in place.

Example: I want gloves with high CC. So I salvage a bunch of high CC bracers to find enough of this modifier to put into my next crafted pair of gloves. Adding the CC modifier would guarantee the CC affix on the glove but the amount of CC would still be random.

02/08/2013 06:27 AMPosted by Menlyn
The new crafting doesn't really help this equation. Yes, those items won't enter pool, so you could argue that they don't fill the bucket. However, they don't take anything away from the bucket either. The same number of items keep dropping, and the bucket gets fuller and fuller.

I think the new crafting in 1.0.7 is not nearly enough. ABoE (account bound on equip) should be introduced on all items. Once you equip the item to one character it can only be passed back and forth between characters on that account. Can no longer be traded in any way. This would force people to actually make tough decisions about what to equip and what to slap on the AH.
Reply Quote
Each time an item gets sold it permanately loses 10 durability, make every item start with durability of 50. If an item gets sold 5 times the durability is at 1.

introduce a new blacksmith recipe that requires lots of gold and materials but makes an item indestructible. Indestructible items no longer lose durablitity, but cannot be resold on the AH.

this accomplishes 2 things:

1. limits how much an item gets resold on the auction house

2. allows players to buy high tier items at a lower cost (durablity of 1) but then farm the materials needed to make the item indestructible. (goldsink)

just some thoughts on draining the bucket.
Reply Quote
My first question is this: What is wrong with an overflowing bucket?

EDIT: Ultimately, as long as there is an Auction House and this current itemization set up, there will always be this problem. If people REALLY wanted to craft, they would be picking up the endless amount of yellows/blues that ALREADY are not being picked up.

Additionally, with the huge amount of variables on a given item, the range of what of some people will deem as a valuable item will ALWAYS have a large range. This means that if we were constantly pulling crap off the AH, with the MILLIONS of people playing this game, people are just going to be posting up MORE stuff now that the AH is being drained.
Edited by Professional#1952 on 2/8/2013 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Personally I think a mixed solution between 1 and 2 would be the best option, make the game better and crafting more worthwhile.

It's been a long time since I've logged on Diablo 3, but when I left the crafting system was completly RNG based which often turned out with loot that had bad stats.

The game itself has alot of areas where it can improve and there are loads of threads about it already, what annoys me the most is that loot has less value than in previous Diablo games, a good piece of loot in D2 usually meant it was good for all classes, that isn't the case since each class has a main stat.

Also the lack of map randomization, I liked that every time I play D1 or D2 then the map is a random map, It will always be different from last time I went to a certain place, I could always keep exploring. There's extremely little randomization in Diablo 3, I could recgonize the majority of the areas which made the enviroment very stale and boring to me.
Reply Quote
My first question is this: What is wrong with an overflowing bucket?

EDIT: Ultimately, as long as there is an Auction House and this current itemization set up, there will always be this problem. If people REALLY wanted to craft, they would be picking up the endless amount of yellows/blues that ALREADY are not being picked up.

Additionally, with the huge amount of variables on a given item, the range of what of some people will deem as a valuable item will ALWAYS have a large range. This means that if we were constantly pulling crap off the AH, with the MILLIONS of people playing this game, people are just going to be posting up MORE stuff now that the AH is being drained.

This is exactly my issue with the analogy. The bucket expands to fit the water in it so really it is never "overflowing" but what would that even mean if it did overflow? Market crash? Someone please explain to me what you qualify as a market crash because I can't see it happening.
Reply Quote
One problem with this bucket is that many people like the oldest water (the stuff with the least time left) because they don't want to have to drink it straight from the bucket, while standing, using a three-foot straw (waiting for 36 hours for the auction to end). It appears to me that either Blizzard didn't do enough game auction house research, or simply chose to ignore other available options.

I'm a long-time MMORPG guy, with the Diablo set of games being the exception (I've played every one of the games from release day, and still have the original soundtrack disc from my preorder of LoD), and the things they all have in common that keep them fresh are larger auction allowances and variable durations. Buyouts are great, but the D3 speculators are just too unfamiliar with how it's supposed to be done, and insist on just throwing up random huge numbers. They don't care about the flow of their stuff; they're just waiting for the next big fish to bite. I say give them that, but add another ten slots (20 is the average in every other game I've played, but EQII was totally fun because you could buy bigger bags and display cases with even more slots), and put in auctions with shorter durations - as low as 30 minutes. Buyers love knowing they don't have to wait, because the game doesn't.

So the bucket gets bigger, but the hole in the bottom (shorter auctions) means there's always room for the water coming in.
Edited by Schizmark#1772 on 2/8/2013 8:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
3) We stop the drip. (Make good items no longer drop)- Completely out of the question.

Isn't this already happening (99.99% of it) ?
Reply Quote
View profile
The problem with you analogy Droth, is that you assume the bucket is finite.

In a video game world, the bucket is infinite, relatively speaking.
Reply Quote
The problem with messing with the Blizzard bucket is that it would allow 2nd and 3rd buckets to get bigger (d2jsp / gear trading sites).....Messing with the blizz bucket would just make the other buckets bigger. No win here.
Edited by rockon87#1616 on 2/8/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

No it's not. You see the AH lagging and not responding right now? That's the bucket buckling.

The servers can only handle so much. People don't realize how many players/bots/scripts are actually hitting that AH right now.
Reply Quote
View profile
They need to make crafting worthwhile, but I really don't' think that was their design.

It seems somewhat obvious that some features may have been pulled (such as the Mystic) because if you give the players TOO much customization and ability to upgrade themselves, people won't use the AH. If crafting was better (as in you could actually add sockets .. or craft specific affixes) .. people wouldn't use the AH.

Imagine crafting (as it is today) without the AH? It would be pretty decent.. what else would people spend their money on? (But in reality it would be no different than gambling in D2) You need a better pair of boots? spend time and material crafting ones until you get a good pair . it would just take an annoying amount of time.

Instead they gave us the AH . .and just left the crafting as it was .. almost as a veil to trick us into thinking this game has some ability to do it without the AH .. the AH is nothing but a giant store ..
It would be no different if vendors in town simply sold every item imaginable.

What makes these games fun .. and challenging . is not getting the "perfect" set of gear . .but to work with the gear you find . .or buy from a vendor . .or craft.

The AH takes the limited aspect out of it.
Reply Quote
This thread makes me laugh, I cant believe a story about a bucket is already 7 pages long.

Reduce the price of the water and it will sell faster, the water will remain fresh and the bucket will never fill.
Reply Quote
The problem is that 99% of the water dripping into the bucket is raw sewage, but the people dripping this sewage water think it is the finest spring water and misprice it accordingly.

What passed for drinkable water in months past is now considered to be contaminated and is not fit for consumption, yet some people won't accept this, and delusionally consider it drinkable.
Reply Quote
just make legendaries BOE.
Reply Quote
64 Gnome Rogue
Solution 1: Spend more resources on removing bots.

02/07/2013 09:05 PMPosted by Recluce
Solution 2: Add not just more items, but more content, including optional challenging content that is more than just cranking a dial.

/Thread
Edited by UpTheVilla#1748 on 2/8/2013 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

No it's not. You see the AH lagging and not responding right now? That's the bucket buckling.

The servers can only handle so much. People don't realize how many players/bots/scripts are actually hitting that AH right now.

I don't know what they did yesterday but they AH has been much better since the maintenance.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 09:02 AMPosted by TheM0L3
I don't know what they did yesterday but they AH has been much better since the maintenance.

Hoping you are being sarcastic. If not what AH are you using as they all seem slow like molasses to me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]