Diablo® III

Dueling Re-Named to Brawling

After reviewing feedback from the PTR, we've decided to rename dueling to brawling—a title we feel is much more fitting for the system. Rather than wait to announce this in the official patch notes, we wanted to let players know ahead of time, in part to reduce confusion and in part to explain the reasons behind the change.

While the system we designed for 1.0.7 was developed in order to give players a fun way to beat each other up in Diablo III, we've come to realize that "dueling" wasn’t the best name for it. Sure, it allows players to pummel, stomp, immolate, and hex fellow Nephalem (over and over again, if they so choose), but it's not a traditional one-on-one duel. It’s something much more wild and open-ended, where you can engage in 3-person and even 4-person free-for-all skirmishes with few restrictions. The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it. But again, that’s not really dueling; it’s brawling!

There's a lot of power in a name, and we think that the idea of a brawl more accurately describes the system we created. Heck, the NPC we added is even called Nek the Brawler, so we feel this re-branding must have been foretold in one of Deckard Cain’s prophecies. :)

This change will be reflected in the patch notes, as well as in all related game text fields once 1.0.7 ships. We’ve no further changes planned for brawling at this time, but we’re excited to see what kind of havoc players will wreak in the Scorched Chapel once the patch is released.

Why are you just renaming Dueling to Brawling? You need to rename this entire game because you did everything in your power to alter everything you could from the original two games.
Edited by siK209#1929 on 2/10/2013 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
This seems to me like the end result of 6 weeks of hard work.

*Applauds*

Bravo good chaps, bravo!
Reply Quote
at this point, blizzard is doing their best monty python inspired skit with us
Reply Quote
they need to rename diablo 3 to farmville too
Reply Quote
*Slow.....clap...*

Must've been a hard day huh?
Reply Quote
Why can't I create my own game name. That way I can call it whatever I want. I would love to create a PvP game called "Come f@#$**- with me". In d2 I use to make game names that also is a pm to friends.

Time to stop in case blizz like this and delay 1.0.7 for another 6 years.
Reply Quote
ok so blizzard wants 25 pages of new ideas from us and they spend like 2 weeks after that and they come up with renaming something.

Dude are you !@#$ing kidding me
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
*Slow.....clap...*

Must've been a hard day huh?

I'll defend this company as much as the next fanboy but... yeah. Pretty much.
Reply Quote
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Or in this case crap by any other name would smell as bad.
Reply Quote
That's nice...So when will we be able to start Dueling?
Reply Quote
I guess they stopped caring.
Reply Quote
so of all the things in this game to fix and fine-tune, you're spending time on things like "finding the right name for a duel"?

come on, boys...
Reply Quote
And it's because these king of things i'm playing and enjoying POE right now.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
misrepresented by its name.

This part is rich
Reply Quote
They should add a wagering system to arena type games! that would be sick
Reply Quote
Dueling re-named to Brawling ?

Thats it, im re-installing !
Reply Quote
In retrospect and based on the feedback on ptr and our forums we here at Blizzard have decided to rename Diablo 3. It will take at least 9 months to think of a new name, but there is a lot of power in a name, and we would hate for people to feel the game was misrepresented as an actual sequel to Diablo 2. Our plans for Diablo 3, once this game gets a proper title, will be to look at all of the aspects of Diablo 2 that made it the tremendous success it became and build on those successes.

With this game we made the mistake of trying to reinvent the wheel and completely ignored the legacy we'd created and kinda crapped on our loyal fanbase and legacy by omitting crucial elements like good itemization, runes, pvp, skill trees, farmable runs, truly evil bosses, dark ambiance, David Brevik, fun, and a playable necromancer. We'd like to rectify this mistake by having the new Diablo 3 be a free download for people who bought this game. We've got a lot of work to do. Look forward to the real Diablo 3. It will be everything this game failed at, and we promise it will be done in two years' time.

/ end cerberus' wet dream
Edited by Cerberus#1425 on 2/10/2013 10:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Honestly i don't think they understand... what we want is a ladder system something to be accomplished we want gear that we can work towards, you guys need to pick up this game and give us much more content. Then after you give us content start making a epic expansion BRING diablo feeling back into it!

WTH IS GOING ON IM SO CONFUSED >< Brawling omg this is what you spend your time on when we could have a way better pvp system :XXXXX

P.S. Auction house has been broken for a year, bots are still constantly adding me sigh... Dupers items that drop in inferno are garbage like 99% of the loot is lame and theres no point to pick up MOST of the rares.!
Edited by WhiteWidow#1492 on 2/10/2013 10:51 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]