Diablo® III

Attack speed breakpoints for Living Lightning

So living lightning is getting a lot of attention, so I thought I would share some of my research. LL is not as complicated as wicked wind, and the breakpoints are much less important since it is almost linear with attack speed, but for a single target it is nice to know the breakpoints.

For wicked wind we talk about ticks but for living lightning I am just talking about breakpoints for how many dudes you can have out at a time. Each lightning guy can attack all nearby targets, and attack speed lets you send out more at one time, generating more AP and crits.

Edit: I posted a chart below after doing a lot more research.
Edited by Shaggy#1317 on 2/8/2013 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you time how long a single LL lasts you can just multiply that by your APS to find the max number on the screen at a time.

When we talk about breakpoints what we need to know is how many times a single cast will tick over its duration.

Also do we know if the number of tendrils on a single cast is dependent on how many targets are around it? does it only have 5 'arms' that strike anything in range? or does that nmber of 'arms' scale with number of targets within range?
Reply Quote
good call on the timing, I might capture a half dozen videos and find the real breakpoints... and yeah the only way I can think of to accurately test some of this is in the dueling arena. I will keep working on this.
Reply Quote
Edit: Hopefully the charts are at least readable now, although very ugly.

Ok I have done a lot more frame-by-frame research and have a lot of conclusions.

From the time it can first hit to the time it cannot hit is exactly 2 seconds, however cast time to full animation stop is longer, there is time at the beginning and end where it cannot proc.

Meaning the breakpoints are more straight forward:

Because it stays out for 2 seconds, there is an obvious relationship of 2x your APS, however the animations don't match the ability to proc, I was counting animations before and that was a mistake. Higher attack speeds don't necessarily make it so you can have more out at a time, but they do give you more procs per second as there is a lot of wiggle room. From what I can see, more attack speed is better and there may not be significant breakpoints at all.

It ticks 4 times per second (8 ticks per cast, one for each "step" the lightning guy takes) regardless of APS. Each tick releases any number of lightning strikes against all nearby targets.

I tested vs up to ten targets, there does not appear to be ANY limit to concurrent targets, all of them were hit any time the LL ticked and was in range.

Example single target hit count for a normal size mob.
5 times at melee range (the LL gets out of range for the last 3 ticks
8 times if at perfect distance (all 8 ticks are in range at this distance http://imgur.com/YdAF257 )
1 time if they are right behind you, only the first tick is in range
:
Assuming:
50% crit, 20 APoC, Melee range (not optimal range).

These numbers are PER TARGET

APS_____Hit/sec___APoC/sec__PrdgyAP/Sec_CM/sec_______Proc/Sec
1_______6.25______12.5______25__________0.625________1.25
1.25____7.8125____15.625____31.25_______0.78125______1.5625
1.5_____9.375_____18.75_____37.5________0.9375_______1.875
1.75____10.9375___21.875____43.75_______1.09375______2.1875
2_______12.5______25________50__________1.25_________2.5
2.25____14.0625___28.125____56.25_______1.40625______2.8125
2.5_____15.625____31.25_____62.5________1.5625_______3.125
2.75____17.1875___34.375____68.75_______1.71875______3.4375
3_______18.75_____37.5______75__________1.875________3.75
3.25____20.3125___40.625____81.25_______2.03125______4.0625

APS = Attacks per second
Hit/Sec = The amount of times you will hit enemies per second
APoC/Sec = The number of Arcane power points you will gain per second from 20 Arcane power on crit.
PrdgyAP/Sec = The number of Arcane power points you will gain per second from Prodigy passive.
CM/Sec = The number of seconds Critical mass will reduce your cooldowns by per second.
Proc/Sec = Multiplier for Life On Hit per second and Arcane Dynamo Flashes per second

Please note, these values are only 5/8 the maximum value possible multiplier, because melee range is not optimal. The Maximum (perfect aim) values are here:

APS_____Hit/sec___APoC/sec__PrdgyAP/Sec_CM/sec__Proc/Sec
1_______16________32________64__________1.6_____3.2
1.25____20________40________80__________2_______4
1.5_____24________48________96__________2.4_____4.8
1.75____28________56________112_________2.8_____5.6
2_______32________64________128_________3.2_____6.4
2.25____36________72________144_________3.6_____7.2
2.5_____40________80________160_________4_______8
2.75____44________88________176_________4.4_____8.8
3_______48________96________192_________4.8_____9.6
3.25____52________104_______208_________5.2_____10.4

Notable exceptions: Missile Dampening changes the duration for living lightning from 2 seconds to 4 seconds, but does not change its proc rate. The effect is the exact same as DOUBLING your attack speed. Thanks Sokahr.
Edited by Shaggy#1317 on 2/8/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
so now in practical sense, what can we do with LL?
Reply Quote
regain health, regain AP, refresh skills.
Reply Quote
Notable exceptions: Missile Dampening changes the duration for living lightning from 2 seconds to 4 seconds, but does not change its proc rate. The effect is the exact same as DOUBLING your attack speed. Thanks Sokahr.

So what you are saying is that it moves a predetermined distance before disappearing, and it it pulses what is basically an AoE at a constant rate of 4 times per second.

Also, what did you do to determine whether or not it lumps 'hidden' ticks together for the displayed value similar to how wicked wind and disintegrate do? Did you do any LoH testing?
Reply Quote
View profile
Good stuff shaggy, hard at work. Never knew part of their animation was attackless
Reply Quote
Ok I am glad you asked :)

The issue is you can generate WAY more AP than you can spend

If you have at least 1 piece of meteor reduction (or count latent AP regeneration) then 1 cast of LL can pay for 1 meteor per target, not counting the meteor's AP return.

That means that for single target, ignoring APoC from meteor, you can spam every other key meteor vs LL

But for each other target you have, you can spam 1 more meteor.

2 targets @ 3.0 attack speed = 2 meteors and 1 LL per second

more than 3 targets just means every 2 seconds you cast LL to give you near infinite AP, then cast meteors for the next 2 seconds.

What it really means is that with more than 1 or 2 targets, there is no way at ANY attack speed to spend the kind of AP you generate. Seriously, if you have suggestions that spend more than meteor, I would love to hear them. You would need attack speed of 4 before you could out-spend prodigy on 4 targets with meteor and 20 APoC, not counting Meteor's procs.

Additionally 1 cast of LL will give you 1.25 flashes of insight per target. The reality of that is that single targets get occasional beefed up meteors every 3rd or 4th one, but 3+ targets get constant +75% meteors.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 10:57 AMPosted by BDF

So what you are saying is that it moves a predetermined distance before disappearing, and it it pulses what is basically an AoE at a constant rate of 4 times per second.

Also, what did you do to determine whether or not it lumps 'hidden' ticks together for the displayed value similar to how wicked wind and disintegrate do? Did you do any LoH testing?

I did freeze frame observations, I did not see any lumping... once I noticed the ticks matched the steps of the guy I just sorta stopped trying to tell, because it seemed to be so perfect and logical... maybe it is a fallacy, but it seems extremely straight forward due to the animations being direct bolts of lightning that you can observe and not DOT like WW.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Shaggy
I did freeze frame observations, I did not see any lumping... once I noticed the ticks matched the steps of the guy I just sorta stopped trying to tell, because it seemed to be so perfect and logical... maybe it is a fallacy, but it seems extremely straight forward due to the animations being direct bolts of lightning that you can observe and not DOT like WW.

The very reason ther is lumping is so that you don't see it...it's to reduce the amount of ticks that appear on screen. What did you do to verify though that the number of times it actually ticks is directly tied to the animation of a tendril lashing out?

Like if you have a specific amount of LoH, no other healing sources, and cast a single living lightning against a stationary target above 2.73aps and below 2.73 aps are the health returns the same?
Edited by BDF#1838 on 2/8/2013 11:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just now finished LoH testing, 1.6aps vs 2.5 aps had the same LoH returns.

100 LoH weapon, no other regen (.2 proc rate means each "hit" heals 20 life)

Attacked single target
when I saw 4 damage numbers, I would see 80 total LoH
when I saw 8 damage numbers, I would see 160 total LoH

This did not change between 1.6, 2.0, and 2.5 aps

I didn't have gear to go faster than that without adding life steal or LoH, but if there was no difference in that range, it is pretty certain there is no difference in higher ranges.
Reply Quote
I use LL for getting CM to improve my Archon regen rate, saw the build in the forums awhile back. If you can manage to pop deepfreeze before turning Archon it will give you a good lead on those CMs. Haven't used science but I would say, on average, only 1 pack of monsters with LL and you can turn Archon again. It's the character I use to farm low MPs very effectively. I think with the increase in damage coming for LL too it can only make my build better. I do play around with sparkflint from time to time too.

Just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
Attacked single target
when I saw 4 damage numbers, I would see 80 total LoH
when I saw 8 damage numbers, I would see 160 total LoH

This did not change between 1.6, 2.0, and 2.5 aps

Thanks for doing the testing.

Correct me if I'm wrong now, I'm going to try and summarize what you've found.

#1. Living lightning hits everything in range 4 times per second
#2. Each lightning man travels a set distance before disappearing, normally it takes 2 seconds...through missile dampen it takes 4.
#3. There are no hidden ticks, meaning the only scaling living lightning has with IAS is the ability to cast them faster.

That sound about right?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
So the argument here is LL vs Meteor?

I'm still using WW, and I'm testing out LL for MP10 soloing (just to see how well I survive), and LL is nice for regen, but not so good for the LoH. =/
Reply Quote
How much damage does LL do per tic? Is it 37% weapon damage each tic, or is it 37% total over 4 tics, or over 2 tics, or something else?
Reply Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong now, I'm going to try and summarize what you've found.

#1. Living lightning hits everything in range 4 times per second
#2. Each lightning man travels a set distance before disappearing, normally it takes 2 seconds...through missile dampen it takes 4.
#3. There are no hidden ticks, meaning the only scaling living lightning has with IAS is the ability to cast them faster.

That sound about right?

yup

So the argument here is LL vs Meteor?

I'm still using WW, and I'm testing out LL for MP10 soloing (just to see how well I survive), and LL is nice for regen, but not so good for the LoH. =/

No the idea is to use LL to fuel meteor.
Reply Quote
I've been very curious about how much each tic his for so I just did a little testing on Ghom. With 1346 Int, and 58-58 weapon damage, my base weapon damage was 905.7744. Each tic of LL hit for 67, which is 7.4% of the base weapon damage, which is 37%/5. I also looked at how many tics there were and I counted as many as 11 tics from one cast, which is definitelly more than the 8 mentioned. I actually saw it happen twice in a row. 11 seems kind of strange though, but I tested it with 0.9 and 2.23 APS and both times saw 11 tics.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Loroese
I've been very curious about how much each tic his for so I just did a little testing on Ghom. With 1346 Int, and 58-58 weapon damage, my base weapon damage was 905.7744. Each tic of LL hit for 67, which is 7.4% of the base weapon damage, which is 37%/5. I also looked at how many tics there were and I counted as many as 11 tics from one cast, which is definitelly more than the 8 mentioned. I actually saw it happen twice in a row. 11 seems kind of strange though, but I tested it with 0.9 and 2.23 APS and both times saw 11 tics.

8 is max for single target "normal size" creatures. Large creatures like bosses area actually multiple targets, or so I theorize. That also explains why we have some theories floating around that CM actually procs more than it should on them.
Reply Quote
View profile
Great to test Boss theory on Belial or Azmo. Walking the LL's along side of them makes for suprising damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]