Diablo® III

I need a new drug...suggestions please

I love Diablo 3. I've played since launch and don't see stopping anytime soon. However, I need another good go to game. I've debated picking up XCom, but I don't trust the review sites anymore and don't want to waste $ on garbage.
I'm completely open minded on genre and will play anything provided it's good. Any suggestions? Have any of you played anything lately that you love and can't put down? Also what games have you played that suck and should be avoided? Help me out here, I'm really interested in what you guys think.
Reply Quote
Borderlands 2 is a really fun game. It's also half off on steam this weekend ($30) although the DLC isn't on sale. If you got the season pass it would cost another $30 which would get you 3 (with one more coming) campaign additions which is a great deal since each one adds a good amount of content to the game. There is also another character class for $10 (not as good a deal, but that character is my favorite and I got her for free since I pre-ordered) as well as a bunch of skins for $1.

To sum it up, it's a great game with some hilarious characters/dialogue for a great price this weekend. The DLC is reasonably priced and very much worth it. Also, the main bad-guy is probably one of the best in recent years.

Funny dialogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhcKeZQj4E4
Edited by Ringo#1617 on 2/9/2013 11:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's not the same genre, but I highly recommend Starcraft 2. The new expansion coming out in a month (Heart of the Swarm) looks absolutely incredible! I pre-ordered it, and I am counting the days until it arrives. Here's a video on it: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/kxc56f/starcraft-ii--heart-of-the-swarm-expansion-overview

As for another RPG, I'd recommend Dragon Age if you haven't already played it. The game is full of bugs, but has a great story.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Witcher 1 and Witcher 2. Both are excellent, though Witcher 1 is incredibly buggy and will crash to the desktop at any moment, so be prepared to save your game frequently.

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur is very good.
Reply Quote
Phantasy Star Online 2 is pretty fun and free (though it's in japanese), I've been playing it for the past few days while waiting for patch 1.0.7 to come out in D3.

I'll also be playing some StarCraft II again after expansion is out, and probably finish campaign in a few days. Not sure If i'll be laddering again or not, though ladder was quite fun in Wings of Liberty (I played something like 9000 games, lol).
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 01:14 AMPosted by Ryaskybird
Also, Kingdoms of Amalur is very good.

+1 on this. Had a lot of fun with the game. I do think a couple of things should be noted.

The company that released the game, 38 Studios, went bankrupt and, last I heard, were under several investigations and had some lawsuits filed against them. I only mention this because it's unlikely you'll see a sequel anytime soon, if ever. You also won't be getting any patches or additional DLC and from what I've seen, online prices have not been cut (steam still has it all at full price...). If you had the option, I'd say pick up a pre-owned copy on console.

It was a solid first entry and had a lot of interesting lore created by R.A. Salvatore. Really sucks that 38 Studios screwed themselves over so bad with their finances.
Reply Quote
There wasn't suppose to be a typical sequel to Amalur. They were suppose to release a MMO about a year or so after Amalur but since the state they were in kind of screwed them on taxes they were owed and the rest of the loan they took out they were not able to pay there payment back on time or there employees that they hire a ton like they were told to hire by the state so they would get the tax break they never received.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely going to read up on some of these games, particularly Borderlands 2. And just out of curiosity has anyone played XCom? It looks good but as we all know looks don't always = fun. All the reviews of it are good but as I stated above review sites are sketchy at best.
Reply Quote
XCom is very much like Diablo 3: took all what was good in the series and dumbed it down to zero.

It is still a fun game but the strategy part has been basically removed. There is no choice at all, just one predefined campaign with set of missions and some minor randomization. Ground combat is okay, it too got simplified very much, but that was actually required in the first game.

For me... If you have played old XCom and want something similar, don't touch it.

If you haven't go find a friend who has the game and play at his place for a hour or two. Also, not sure how it is now, but back when I have played, it was *extremely* buggy, reaching at least 2 system crashes per hour.

Oh, and definitely pick up Borderlands 2. For me it was easily a GoTy title :)
Edited by Scharnvirk#2371 on 2/10/2013 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

XCom is very much like Diablo 3: took all what was good in the series and dumbed it down to zero. It is still a fun game but the strategy part has been basically removed. There is no choice at all, just one predefined campaign with set of missions and some minor randomization. Ground combat is okay, it too got simplified very much, but that was actually required in the first game.For me... If you have played old XCom and want something similar, don't touch it. If you haven't go find a friend who has the game and play at his place for a hour or two. Also, not sure how it is now, but back when I have played, it was *extremely* buggy, reaching at least 2 system crashes per hour.Oh, and definitely pick up Borderlands 2. For me it was easily a GoTy title :)

Awesome. You probably just saved me money and I appreciate that. I did play the old XCom and loved it despite the bugs. I liked the system even if it bordered on micromanagement at times. But what was really good about the old version was the feel. The creepy music gave it that same vibe as Metroid.
Just the fact that you used the term "dumbed down" and are clearly familiar with the old version tells me it's one to skip. I dislike dumbed down. That's what ruined WOW for me.
Anyway thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to check out B2.
Reply Quote
I would highly suggest TL2...it has a crazy amount of depth and a story that isnt really "in your face". The fact that you can play single player as well as online with the same characters is very convenient. Runic will be releasing an official modding tool as well, so by the time you get to lvl 99 and play through the different difficult settings and the random dungeon Mapworks, you will have new content to download from the very skilled modding community.
Reply Quote
If you want a old school game that IMO is extremely addicting and has AMAZING replayability, check out Master of Magic.

Its a old DOS game so you may have to get DOSBox depending on the OS your running.

If you really like MoM, Stardock's Elemental:fallen enchantress is a great game. They planned to release 1st expansion this april.

http://www.elementalgame.com/fallen-enchantress

their forum is really good too, it's encouraging instead of demoralizing like D3-general discussion.
Reply Quote
If you want a old school game that IMO is extremely addicting and has AMAZING replayability, check out Master of Magic.Its a old DOS game so you may have to get DOSBox depending on the OS your running.

I remember that game. Wasn't that a Microprose title? I was too busy with the original Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2 at the time to check it out, although I think MoM came 1st, but i'd give it a shot. And yes I still have DOS on one of my partitions...I don't use it much but I keep it around just in case :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]