Diablo® III

HoTA + WW + Rend farming build....revisited

Greetings guys, just revisiting this build I know this build was posted back in June or July last year but was abandoned or never really caught on for whatever reason. Anyway today I'm rolling it back and giving it a try in MP10, really just a proof of concept and testing the fundamentals of the build.

It's a little tricky for those of you that aren't used to running a build without a traditional fury generator like bash/cleave/frenzy but this build allows for really the best of both worlds. You get the great mobility of a WW build for plowing through trash and the massive single target DPS afforded from a HoTA/Rend build. Once you get the momentum going you're almost impossible to stop.

Just a quick explanation of how to start the fight for those of you that aren't familiar with the method. Of the skills on your bar HoTA, Rend and WW all will do a default attack if you try to use them without enough fury. Just hold shift and attack with one of them to get enough fury to cast battle rage, after that attack again to get enough to start sprinting and laying down some tornadoes to get the fury flowing. After that it's off to the races and you can begin your full assault.

Sample video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymr-LG5IpLY&feature=youtu.be

Build used for that video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZhcUPR!ZYV!ZZbZcY

EDIT: Here is a video with me getting more comfortable with the build and maintaing perma-WoTB for and entire level. Still more refinining to do but a better idea of the capability of the build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEavqr-Fzg&feature=youtu.be

Build used for that video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZhcUPR!YeZ!ZZbZcY

The only change was using Superstition passive instead of Tough as Nails. THis will require higher defenses on your gear but the fury generation is very good with it and greatly lends itself to this build.

Or you may want to use rend with blood lust rune if you don't have a lot of LS on gear to be comfortable using lacerate.

And yet another video showcasing the build here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nyLMhzoz20&list=UUEhaSKjYn05zAzbkD51e-Aw&index=1

Now for this build to work you need to have a high crit chance to make it possible to generate the fury you need without using a fury generator, I recommend 30% from gear alone before buffs and passives. You'll also want at least 1.32 APS if you're using a 2H to make WW worth it in the build otherwise your tornadoes will tick too slow to make sense to have WW on your skill bar.

Anyway, try it out, post some feedback and have some fun.
Edited by Death#1408 on 9/6/2013 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like this, Death! It's nice more people using Rend. I haven't considered trying Rend in my left click other than for PVP, so I might try that later in Hardcore since I do need War Cry for protection in m y #1 key. My only reservation would be the lack of a melee attack that builds fury so I can escape ugly situations, but I'm not complaining.

Have you dealt with any rubberbanding using Rend + WW simultaneously? If so, how often?
Reply Quote
@ Acrimony, yes rubberbanding still occurs unfortunately. Haven't really been testing the build long enough to say how often yet. I've only been testing this since last night but the results were so promising I thought I'd share with everyone. I really like the combo of maximum mobility and maximum damage.

I admit the video is very rough around the edges, but with a little more polish I really think this could be great if you have the gear to support it. I'd like some people with fast 1 handers to give this a test as I'm sure they will do even better without a fury generator.
Edited by Death#1408 on 2/10/2013 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can you do me a favour and grab something with pick up range? I am too much of a chicken to test on my Barb to see if pick-up range extends its bonus to Rend's bloodlust/lacerate.
Reply Quote
Awesome that you made this post. I recently picked up my barb again after parting him out and making a wd and then a dh. Use to have a decent DW/WW Barb and wanted something different this time. I've been running a similar build that I was gonna post and ask for suggestions as to how to make it better for higher MPs and you've already done that! (YAY!)

Anyways, I run almost the exact same build with a few differences due to my low ehp and dmg. Posting my findings and reasoning here in hopes of getting some great discussion going!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZhcURk!ZWh!YZZZYc

HOTA: Thunderstrike - Stun is great especially for elites with crazy affixes since I don't use wotb. Just run into some trash mobs and fire away!

Rend: BL - Skorn with LS was out of my budget for now. Once I get one, I'll switch out to a different rune.

Animosity+Unforgiving Passives - With my current gear and lack of attack speed I was having trouble managing fury as you've stated above w/ RLTW. With these passives and 5piece IK set I have perma RLTW which is nice for running in between packs and not having to worry about hitting something for more fury.

Probably not the most efficient build, but it's fun as hell and a nice change of pace.

*edit*
Forgot to mention play style. Because of the passives + ik bonus, I usually have enough fury to battle rage, war cry, and start sprinting within the first few seconds of joining/making a new game. Standard RLTW/WW for trash. Perma Sprint around and HOTA for elites. Perma sprint is great for maps in act2 when doing key runs!
Edited by blood#1776 on 2/10/2013 12:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
What was your unbuffed attack speed for this? I don't think 1.3 would be sufficient. I've been trying ww/hota with 1.46 with enchantress and animosity, and it still leaves me wanting a lot more aps. I'm definitely going to be playing around more with this though. I've always wanted to get sprint, ww, rend and hota all going on my skill bar. If only we could also cram OP:KS in there...
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 2/10/2013 1:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Acrimony, no getting PU radius doesn't help the range of rend. I put the BT pants on my WD on to test for you didn't see any difference. If you want increased AOE with rend, just use ravage rune a little less DoT but still very effective.

@ blood, without WoTB you're losing out on CC immunity, greater move speed, increased attack speed and higher crit chance. I would definitely drop WC for WoTB. Also with your 5 piece IK you don't really need animosity, it's LS you're lacking so use the blood thirst passive. I'd look into getting some more attack speed too to make the build viable. You're only at 1.1 APS you need to pick up attack speed on gloves and rings at least to get to 1.3 for this build to be really effective.

@ sliverfire, my unbuffed APS is 1.4
Edited by Death#1408 on 2/10/2013 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Acrimony, no getting PU radius doesn't help the range of rend. I put the BT pants on my WD on to test for you didn't see any difference. If you want increased AOE with rend, just use ravage rune a little less DoT but still very effective.

@ blood, without WoTB you're losing out on CC immunity, greater move speed, increased attack speed and higher crit chance. Id would definitely drop WC for WoTB. Also with your 5 piece IK you don't really need animosity, it's LS you're lacking so use the blood thirst passive. I'd look into getting some more attack speed too to make the build viable. You're only at 1.1 APS you need to pick up attack speed on gloves and rings at least to get to 1.3 for this build to be really effective.

@ sliverfire, my unbuffed APS is 1.4

I figured. Apparently it directly applies to the Brawler passive, but not to Rend. Which is really weird given that the radius of Rend applies similarly. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible for me to give up Bloodlust unless I I had 100,000 health points. Oh well. I will try this build again with Rend in my left-click tonight. Hopefully it works out.
Reply Quote
I'll switch out the skills and try it out right now to see how that goes. Gotta find some more aps now!
Reply Quote
Higher APS will really help you blood. At least try to get to 1.3 if u can while keeping your crit chance where its at.
Reply Quote
OK did some more testing on this. Superstition greatly helps this build to generate fury. The downside to it, is that you must get hit by ranged or elemental attacks to proc Superstition. This requires you to have pretty solid defenses to benefit from it. Both Animosity and Unforgiving seem to do nothing beneficial to this build.

Going to try some cost reduction items next.
Reply Quote
Kinda funny watching your video cuz i was experimenting with the same set up agianst ubers earlier. From my findings this build is best used for farming. it doesnt work so well on ubers unfortunately. Also you might wanna consider a cold SoJ. Makes a good difference when trying to get all the mobs together.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 05:48 PMPosted by RAiN
Kinda funny watching your video cuz i was experimenting with the same set up agianst ubers earlier. From my findings this build is best used for farming. it doesnt work so well on ubers unfortunately. Also you might wanna consider a cold SoJ. Makes a good difference when trying to get all the mobs together.

Yes, that's why I the title I mention "farming" build. For Ubers a standard HoTA/Rend build is still better and more reliable. As for the cold SoJ adding one will decrease 2 things pretty critical to this build, namely CC and IAS. I do have a SoJ that I tried and it just made it harder to maintain WoTB and top off fury. I'm sure for a faster dual wield build the results will be better or a 2H build that has more IAS and CC on gear than I do that could afford the loss of CC and IAS on a slot.
Reply Quote
I'm DWing and trying this build out now. My offhand is still weaker than I would prefer but still ok. With an EF as my OH weapon, My swings are pretty fast when I HOTA.

I'm using animosity for the fury globe buff (increased my cc chance to 100% total I believe) and fury generation as well. I'm also using a cold soj with -3 hota cost.

The tricky part for me is how to properly use rend in the middle of a battle since I have to stop whirlwinding to cast it and a lot of times, I end up running around instead of going back to whirlwinding, after casting rend. In MP8 - 10. Not whirlwinding in the middle of a large mob with elites can kill you in an instant.

If we can get all 3 attack skills down, It would be a great farming and uber-killing build since we can't change skills without losing NV stacks which we need for uber fights.
Edited by MasterPUA#6728 on 2/10/2013 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ MasterPUA, I think you're trying to do to much at the same time. The idea behind this build isn't to try to use all 3 skills at the same time. The idea is to have the options at your disposal to deal with whatever the situation needs. For the trash I just use WW really to mow them down with the occasional Rend to melt them down faster. When I run into an elite pack is when I start really using HoTA and Rend to bust them down faster with the occasional WW around them to top off fury.

Also, you may want to switch to Blood Lust rune for Rend if you're feeling a little squishy. That may help you to feel a little more comfortable in stopping and firing off a few HoTA's or even to cast Rend again.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Death
@ MasterPUA, I think you're trying to do to much at the same time. The idea behind this build isn't to try to use all 3 skills at the same time. The idea is to have the options at your disposal to deal with whatever the situation needs. For the trash I just use WW really to mow them down with the occasional Rend to melt them down faster. When I run into an elite pack is when I start really using HoTA and Rend to bust them down faster with the occasional WW around them to top off fury.

Ohh I'm not trying to use all 3 skills simultaneously. I'm trying to do it much like how you've described it here. Just am still not able to do it smoothly. I guess the compulsion to use Rend more is what gets me in trouble as I always try to sneak casting it in when I know I might not be able to do it properly.

I'll try that strategy. WW/RLTW to whittle down a mob and then use HOTA + Rend on elite packs.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Death
The idea is to have the options at your disposal to deal with whatever the situation needs.

That's a good summation. There's absolutely no reason for me not to use this build. Even if I feel like I'm too sluggish for ww/sprint, I can still hammer away. If I want to ww through trash mobs, I can do that too. Dropping wrath for op:ks might be desirable for low MP's. I'm a little surprised you can make it work as well as you do without animosity and HotA reduction.
Reply Quote

Also, you may want to switch to Blood Lust rune for Rend if you're feeling a little squishy. That may help you to feel a little more comfortable in stopping and firing off a few HoTA's or even to cast Rend again.

Partially why I like Throw for the fun of it; builds are made to be fun -- not to be an endless cycle of whirl whirl whirl. I might have tried this build awhile ago but with Lacerate for Rend and Smash for HoTA. I can't remember. If I haven't equipped Rend into my left-click until the PTR, then I probably haven't.

This looks like a really fun build. Unfortunately I might have to wait awhile to try it.
Reply Quote

Partially why I like Throw for the fun of it; builds are made to be fun -- not to be an endless cycle of whirl whirl whirl. I might have tried this build awhile ago but with Lacerate for Rend and Smash for HoTA. I can't remember. If I haven't equipped Rend into my left-click until the PTR, then I probably haven't.

This looks like a really fun build. Unfortunately I might have to wait awhile to try it.

I know what you mean Acrimony. I'm trying new things to keep the game interesting for me. Simply whirling all the time just doesn't seem as much fun as when I started using the WW/RLTW build.
Reply Quote
[quote] I'm a little surprised you can make it work as well as you do without animosity and HotA reduction.

Contrary to popular belief there is some measure of skill involved in this game. ;)

@ Acrimony, yes this build is just plain for fun. It's never going to replace WW builds or HoTA builds that are more pure in essence.
Edited by Death#1408 on 2/11/2013 1:30 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]