Diablo® III

HoTA + WW + Rend farming build....revisited

I don't understand why tick rates would deter you from using Overpower....if anything it should encourage the use of the skill. Killing spree adds another 10% chance to crit, thereby increasing fury production, the skill does not use fury to cast, unlike HoTA, and it has a decent proc rate for Into the Fray at 33% coefficient for AoE damage. Plus, the skill is synergistic in the effect that it's cooldown is reduced by critical hits, which it helps you get more of. If you watch the video I posted I am still able to cast Overpower every 2-3 seconds even with a 18 tps breakpoint with WoTB. It encourages fury production, and makes Rend your primary fury spender which gives you an easy way to keep perma-wrathed (see Act 2 vid where I keep WoTB going for 5 min +)

Also, with Overpower you are able to use all your skills at once as opposed to HoTA where you need to stop using WW/Sprint in order to transition just to another form of damage. With Overpower you get to continue using WW/Sprint, dropping Overpower hits every 2-3 seconds, while pausing every 5 seconds to re-apply Rend to the target....with all of your skills working simultaneously you out-damage just a Rend-HoTA build on any multiple target area, and you are in a dead heat when it comes to single targets.

In the 2 video's I posted I am wearing similar gear to Death's, but my kill times are significantly shorter because of Overpower.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 2/12/2013 6:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't understand why tick rates would deter you from using Overpower....if anything it should encourage the use of the skill. Killing spree adds another 10% chance to crit, thereby increasing fury production, the skill does not use fury to cast, unlike HoTA, and it has a decent proc rate for Into the Fray at 33% coefficient for AoE damage. Plus, the skill is synergistic in the effect that it's cooldown is reduced by critical hits, which it helps you get more of. If you watch the video I posted I am still able to cast Overpower every 2-3 seconds even with a 18 tps breakpoint with WoTB. It encourages fury production, and makes Rend your primary fury spender which gives you an easy way to keep perma-wrathed (see Act 2 vid where I keep WoTB going for 5 min +)

Also, with Overpower you are able to use all your skills at once as opposed to HoTA where you need to stop using WW/Sprint in order to transition just to another form of damage. With Overpower you get to continue using WW/Sprint, dropping Overpower hits every 2-3 seconds, while pausing every 5 seconds to re-apply Rend to the target....with all of your skills working simultaneously you out-damage just a Rend-HoTA build on any multiple target area, and you are in a dead heat when it comes to single targets.

In the 2 video's I posted I am wearing similar gear to Death's, but my kill times are significantly shorter because of Overpower.

You're right. Rend does mesh better with ww build compared to HOTA. I'm gonna have to just practice using it more effectively.
Reply Quote
I did a breakdown of Death's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEavqr-Fzg&feature=youtu.be

And my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqxK5iUITGk&feature=youtu.be

These results are based on the times in video, so anyone can check up on them. All kill times times are +/- 1 second, perma-wrath and zone clear times are +/- 5 seconds.

Death's VoTA run:

Perma-Wrath started at 0:52
Run ended at 5:52

For a total of 5 minutes

Champ skeletons pack
Start: 0:52
Kill: 1:42
Total: 50 seconds

Champ spellcaster pack
Start: 0:58
Kill: 1:39
Total: 41 seconds

Elite snake pack
Start: 2:07
Kill: 2:40
Total: 33 seconds

Elite skeletons pack
Start: 2:46
Kill: 4:07
Total: 81 seconds

Champ spinner pack
Start: 3:09
Kill: 4:08
Total: 59 seconds

Champ skeleton bowman pack
Start: 4:19
Kill: 4:46
Total: 27 seconds

Start: 4:56
Kill: 5:48
Total: 52 seconds

This is a total of 5 champion packs, 2 elite packs at an average of 49 seconds per pack and a total run time of 5 minutes.

Wayneold's run:

Perma-wrath started at 4:13
VoTA run ended: 9:00

Elite spellcaster pack
Start: 4:19
Kill: 4:44
Total: 25 seconds

Start: 4:55
Kill: 5:11
Total: 16 seconds

Elite spellcaster pack
Start: 5:16
Kill: 5:45
Total: 29 seconds

Elite skeleton bowman pack
Start: 6:09
Kill: 6:32
Total: 23 seconds

Champ snake pack
Start: 6:48
Kill: 6:57
Total: 9 seconds

Champ spinners pack
Start: 7:32
Kill: 7:54
Total: 22 seconds

Champ spellcaster pack
Start: 8:10
Kill: 8:24
Total: 14 seconds

Champ spellcaster pack
Start: 8:40
Kill: 8:55
Total: 15 seconds

For a total of 5 champion packs, and 3 elite packs at an average of 19.125 seconds per pack and a total run time of 4 minutes 47 seconds.

I draw the conclusion that with similar gear and in the same zone that the results are too consistent in favor of Overpower to ignore, not to mention I noticed that I killed significantly more trash mobs than Death in my video as well. With Overpower increasing fury generation, making the build easier, eliminating the process of stopping in pools of DoT from elites and reducing the amount of defense necessary to run the build, and allowing all of your skills to work at once I, for one, am in favor of Overpower over HoTA.

If you are going to run a build for farming as it's function it would only make sense to have the most capable build out there, right?
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 2/12/2013 7:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've used this build for a while now when I farm keys. I love it.

I prefer DW for more fury generation though.

If you're not a veteran to WW then it can be hard to get used to.

Nice post and glad I'm not the only one that likes the best of both worlds :)
Mobility/Survivability/Single target DPS ftw.
Reply Quote
Also, I compared our Keeps 2 runs together, and the results are even more skewed in the favor of Overpower....but as I read it, you were still rather inexperienced with the build at that point, so no sense in making a direct comparison.
Reply Quote
I'm still going to maintain that a big part of Death's slowness was fury starvation which can be solved with more APS and animosity as a passive. Beyond that, I think a lot of it is personal preference. If you're particularly comfortable with a certain build, it can be more efficient for you personally, even if it isn't the "best" on paper. Though you're definitely making a compelling case with those kill times.

Speaking of overpower, there's also the option of dropping rend instead of HotA, and keeping OP:KS. (DAKKON's build) You get the AoE and mobility benefits of WW/sprint, and the massive single target damage of HotA, which OP:KS synergizes very well with. You lose the AoE and healing benefits of rend, but if you're farming an MP where everything dies to your sprint tornadoes, it's not a big deal.

I guess the bottom line is, you end up with a lot of compelling options once you're able to drop all fury generators.

@Death, I'm pretty sure I've seen you with both inna's and witching hour at some point...why not just pick those up, and retry this build with the 1.57 APS mark unbuffed? If you get too squishy, just knock the MP down for testing purposes. It's clear that APS is a big bottleneck for you in regards to fury generation.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 2/12/2013 9:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
This must have escaped WayneOld's attention in between the time he wrote all that crap and forgot that this was never about efficiency.

Anyway, try it out, post some feedback and have some fun.

Anyway, try it out and have some fun.

Anyway have some fun.

Anyway have fun.

fun.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 06:40 AMPosted by Wayneold
I don't understand why tick rates would deter you from using Overpower....if anything it should encourage the use of the skill. Killing spree adds another 10% chance to crit, thereby increasing fury production, the skill does not use fury to cast, unlike HoTA, and it has a decent proc rate for Into the Fray at 33% coefficient for AoE damage.

Nice use of the nados to get those crits. I stand corrected on OP and tps.
Reply Quote
Anyway, try it out, post some feedback and have some fun.

***Anyone else gives feedback***

acrimony: "Great job! Let me dole out compliments like you just came in third place in the special Olympics!"

***Wayneold gives feedback***

acrimony: "He just doesn't get it....what an idiot and an inconsiderate jerk."

http://i.qkme.me/36ddwr.jpg
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 2/12/2013 10:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Wayneold
http://i.qkme.me/36ddwr.jpg

that has to be my favorite meme picture ever
Reply Quote
Love the build, been playing with it since I started playing the Barbarian, though I don't use HotA and have Overpower instead. However I'm torn, been trying to get that extra attack speed, but not sure which gear to give up or upgrade for that extra juice.
Reply Quote
I'm curious. With BR-Into the Fray, and your 42% crit, could you get enough hits to spam Rend almost non-stop? I'd love to have ItF active, but right now I need all my LL skills to stay alive till I get a better weapon drop. (Not using AH at all. I'm amazed I've made it as far as I have.)
Reply Quote
I'm curious. With BR-Into the Fray, and your 42% crit, could you get enough hits to spam Rend almost non-stop? I'd love to have ItF active, but right now I need all my LL skills to stay alive till I get a better weapon drop. (Not using AH at all. I'm amazed I've made it as far as I have.)

Yes, but it won't help the way you're hoping it will. If you re-rend within the 5 second active period, the second replaces the first. That's useful if the first didn't crit, but otherwise you'll gain nothing.
Reply Quote
Btw, how do you all do azmo on mp10? Without fury generator. Is hard to use hota
Reply Quote
I tried it out about 2 weeks ago, I don't have as much time to play as I would like, but I have given it a few solid runs, and so far I like it, a LOT.
I have a farming circle I do in Act1 MP10, and I have swept Whimseyshire on MP10 a few times solo, not a single death. Now I have gotten kinda close a few times, but in general I am doing well. I do not have times that are even slightly competitive to what was already posted, but I prefer MP10 for the challenge, not the efficiency of killing/leveling, right now I can plow through mobs with the times posted in MP7, but my gear is getting better.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. It can be a little slow to get rolling and has some adjustment in it, form my previous pure WW build, but I like having the HotA as a backup for single target, it just works!
I am looking forward to pushing this character more and getting my gear closer to you upper end guys in here and posting competitive numbers.

So again, thanks for the really solid build, and I am definitely enjoying it, and not really dieing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]