Diablo® III

A butterfly princess to inspire terror.

100 Orc Warrior
Amazing that an old man was old so died easier then what we wanted. I mean, cain was a mortal human, not a nephalem. Yes he may have been horadrim but he was not superman. Taking away his walking stick and making him walk 5 miles without rest could have killed him at that point also.
Reply Quote
Cain dying is like Gandalf dying.

Cain will return in the expansion pack. Mark my words. Mark them. Bookmark this.
Reply Quote
At least Gandalf had time to shout "You Shall Not Pass" while standing on a frail bridge, before a giant demon. He almost got away with that, were it not for the devil's treacherous whip. Still, he fell on a bottomless pit, battling a diablo-like demon. That's cool, and he could've stayed dead.

While Cain...well, it's just a bad death, and shows utter lack of respect for the franchise. Just as the rest of the storytelling, by the way, and I cannot imagine anyone who enjoyed the first games' story to actually enjoy this...parody.

It's still a good game, though... I just wouldn't call it "Diablo".
Reply Quote
I too also found myself thinking... Are you serious? That's it? They could've done so much with cain's death it's disrespectful to fans for not elaborately exploring more excellent avenues for his demise.
Reply Quote
I don't have an issue of an iconic character dying (really I don't) but the way they handled Cain's death was poor even for Diablo's standards. Believe it or not I was even angier when I found out after the cutscene ends all you could do is talk to leah. Really? I would've atleast been somewhat less angry if I killed some cultists. The whole scene just... Ends.

Cain's death was inevitable for this franchise. Eitherway he was going to die from old age or by a demon (the guy is human afterall). However the way it was handled throughout the game was poor as hell. When I killed magda for the first time I wasn't even satisfied!
Reply Quote
Isn't she the most powerful mortal mage now since Cain's dead?
Reply Quote
06/02/2013 07:35 AMPosted by drclawizdead
Isn't she the most powerful mortal mage now since Cain's dead?
Actually, Deckard Cain was not at all a powerful mage. He wasn't even a mage at all! Just a scholar that picked up a few spells here and there.
Reply Quote
Let's all face it: Cain was killed by Butterfree.
Reply Quote
My hardcore barbarian died to a electric spiderling, does that mean his death wasn't glorious? I fought 4 champion dune dervishes with reflect damage, vortex and mortar before the spiderling struck me, though, hahaha
Reply Quote
I don't give a damn about your barbarian. Your barbarian wasn't in all 3 of the games - nor was it a pivotal character in any of them. That's the difference.

Had your barbarian been incredibly important - yeah, that would have been an inglorious death, and disrespectful without the 4 champions part. Cain's death was inglorious (which is fine) but disrespectful since we don't have any context worth of giving a !@#$ about Maghda, she isn't important to the storyline (the coven are cannon-fodder. plainly.), AND she's one of the easiest bosses in the game, and considering how easy most bosses are in this game, that's sad. PLUS she isn't even a main boss! She's the D3 equivalent of two Stalfos in both difficulty and importance - just another job to do.

Now, add the fact that Maghda isn't intimidating - and you've got one Hell of an oopsie.

Keeping the parameters that Cain must die in Act 1: Wouldn't King Leoric been so much better of a way to kill Cain? Cain follows you through the dungeon, and while studying, is captured by Leoric - then before fighting Leoric, when Leoric goes all floaty-ghost on you - he beheads Cain. That would have been KILLER.

And all you would have had to have done was delay King Leoric's fight - or better yet, make him the Act Boss - The Butcher was iconic, but for all the reasons D3 DIDN'T have. The butcher was life-like, the butcher was sadistic, the butcher was cunning, he was scary. Everybody freaked when they found The Butcher's Room. And your first run through? When you didn't know that was the butcher's room (but had a good guess.)? You shat yourself when he bellowed "Ahhh...Fresh Meat." and charged you.

Butcher blowed in D3. Maghda was 2-Dimensional. Leoric was fine, actually characterized more (more back story of him and Lazarus). Yet Leoric was the mid-way boss, Maghda was the End-Game-Boss (That wasn't so end-game afterall.) and Butcher was just there, literally thrown in there.

The reason this game doesn't fulfill the needs of the fans is that they tried too hard to make a Diablo game - they should have been trying to make a GOOD Game. Look at all the things haphazardly thrown in, seemingly post-production.
Reply Quote
Now, add the fact that Maghda isn't intimidating - and you've got one Hell of an oopsie.Keeping the parameters that Cain must die in Act 1: Wouldn't King Leoric been so much better of a way to kill Cain? Cain follows you through the dungeon, and while studying, is captured by Leoric - then before fighting Leoric, when Leoric goes all floaty-ghost on you - he beheads Cain. That would have been KILLER.

You really dont understand the story ... do you...

~Probable Spoiler~

Diablo NEEDED Belial to get Maghda to kill Deckard.

Diablo needed to get us riled up, to gather all the souls of his bretheren inside the soulstone so that it could be shattered and he could be reborn. Killing the host on Sanctuary means NOTHING.
The point of the soulstone was to TRAP the souls and never release them, but that backfired.
and the Black Soulstone was flawed to begin with !
But Diablo knew that, so he set things into motion, get every Soul of the Evils in ONE soulstone to be reborn as the Prime Evil (AFTER breaking the Black Soulstone.) or worse yet... becoming Tathamet.
Reply Quote
Talk about convoluted, !@#$ty writing. I had to re-read that twice to get it all straight in my head. And no, that doesn't mean it's complex and deep, it just means it's poorly written.

It was also poorly executed- Cain's death being handled in an in-game cutscene was a terrible decision- also, the character wasn't even present, he was futzing around in some other town while Leah came back early, which means that the narration of the story got all messed up, creating an omniscient narrative in a story that's centered on the character we play. Big no-no. Having the character be held back by some temporarily insurmountable force (such as a massive horde of demons, or perhaps a temporary wall) while you fight your way to Cain and Leah, and to have Cain killed and Maghda (or whoever killed him) retreat just out of your grasp- that's a much better way of handling it.

I hate that we have to talk in 'what if's though, I detest the absolute silence Blizzard is treating us fans with in regards to complaints about the story. Considering the amount of flak they received in regards to the story and presentation being sub-par, you'd think we would have gotten at least a blue post or something. I hate bureaucrats.
Reply Quote
the title of this thread says it all.

'terror' being 'the terror of how they could of got an icon's death so wrong'

:(
Reply Quote
I guess they could've used Cydaea for Magdha's role and just make her the final boss of Act 1 and not The Butcher.
Cydaea looks way more badass and evil.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]