Diablo® III

Why do you like WD?

Hit me with your top reasons why you play WD!

I am looking for a character that can:
- XP level fast
- has a viable/strong MP10 uber solo build (i.e. with good gear, you can facetank and clear ubers with ease and little management to allow for farming ubers faster for more rings)
- good survivability

I am have searched and read through some threads on peoples opinions and realise there are similar threads about this already so sorry to bombard you! But I am looking for answers that hopefully somewhat address my above criteria and was not satisfied from what I read so far.

Thanks WD community!
Reply Quote
If you're looking for a class that can easily do mp10 ubers solo, you're probably diving into the wrong one. Sure, it's very do-able. But very expensive and you would need a well thought out build and gear set-up to do them comfortably. I've only ever done as high as 8 solo myself. Never really tried higher though. But you can absolutely carry your weight and be a valuable asset to the group in any mp with solid gear and a sound build.

The AoE and DPS are definitely there for very fast exp/item farming, particularly in low/mid mp levels. The build diversity is, what I personally consider, the strongest of all 5 classes. WD's can make some of the craziest stuff work and the player base seems to generally be pretty intelligent.

The class has a bit of a higher skill ceiling than the other 4 I'd say. By this, I mean that you won't have a Wrath form to boost the crap out of your stats and grant you 100% Crowd Control reduction, nor can you perm freeze mobs, or have a move that slaps 15% LS/35% DR on you during fights, or Serenity/tank pretty much anything. But the WD's survivability is still pretty insane and their utility is awesome. Once you get the hang of them, it's a blast to play and easily the most fun class I'd say.

Edit: We're also not half bad in pvp ; )
Edited by RPRNoNsum#1561 on 2/10/2013 9:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Because they look cool
Reply Quote
View profile
wd is awesome but based on what your looking for imo youre better off with any other class over wd.
Reply Quote
B/c WD is the closest thing to necro from D2.
Reply Quote
You'd be crazy to play another class. I mean who wants to move at 50-100% movement all the time, or permanently keeps mobs frozen. Rubbish I say, plain rubbish. Play WD where you are blessed with such things as terrible resource management and active abilities with minds of their own and don't forget you take 30% more damage then some of those other classes.

Why play an easy game when you can make the game artificially more difficult by choosing WD.
Edited by Jimbob#1821 on 2/10/2013 11:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 11:15 PMPosted by gooeyaura

Agree!
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 11:15 PMPosted by gooeyaura

I like pets.

And this is the most challanging class.
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your opinions!

So how come some of you think it requires the most skill to play??

Also im not sure i understand why you think WD is the hardest at MP10 level ubers?
Edited by Bankai#2591 on 2/11/2013 3:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
It requires the most skill to play because there aren't really any "cheese" mechanics about the class that trivialize content, though some could argue, 0 dog is pretty cheesy....

What I like most about the Witch Doctor is the build diversity compared to other classes and the challenge reflect damage packs give you.

There's also very specific gear building you need to follow in order to be a very successful Witch Doctor. For example, you can not simply take your CM/WW Wizard gear and slap it on your doctor and you're good to go.

Max Mana/ Mana Regen and proper balance of attack speed to ensure you're able to keep your large attacks going to sustain yourself in combat.

It's by far the most interesting and enjoyable class I have played so far.
Edited by Saythe#1826 on 2/11/2013 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
It's the class that people try and give up on because they don't understand how to play... which makes it the least played class in the game. Many wizards try to just swap their gear over to which they usually are hit with reality that everything isn't as easy as mashing all the buttons at once like you did with Super Nintendo Street Fighter II the first time you played it.

Least played class... most skill required... most challenging... coolest looking spells... that's what I was shooting for.

Once you master the hardest... the others are a breeze. (I can play my cheesy barb on MP10 while eating, watching a movie, and talking to my wife)
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 09:25 PMPosted by RPRNoNsum
player base seems to generally be pretty intelligent.

this is sooooo true. and very articulate too.

but honestly, wiz is not that easy either until you obtain specific stats. and having cm wiz gear over wd gear first will allow you to transition better than vice versa. There are so many of those who struggle to get cm wiz worked. it needs a lot of tweaking your gears as I probably have gone through many upgrades to where I now can breeze through MP8 (and probably higher mp although not as efficient even at where I am).
Edited by yodatoy#1838 on 2/11/2013 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Its a lot more fun and entertaining then other classes. I have played the barb and was getting bored fast when I purchased the game. The WD is , for me , the best and enjoyable. I have friends that use DH and WIZ but they just seem a bit boring as well.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/11/2013 10:40 AMPosted by yodatoy
There are so many of those who struggle to get cm wiz worked. it needs a lot of tweaking your gears as I probably have gone through many upgrades to where I now can breeze through MP8 (and probably higher mp although not as efficient even at where I am).

I agree that it is not as easy as many may make it seem... but I still like to make fun only because I played CM wiz for a long time and my fingers are still recovering.
Reply Quote
I chose it initially because the idea and style of the class is quite different than anything else. Barbs may be OP and cm/ww Wiz can perma freeze everything, but.. I don't know there's just something funny and cool about having a guy who throws jars of spiders and summons zombie bears and sucks your soul to fuel his power that makes him appealing and unique.

End game, I don't think WDs are the best possible choice for solo MP10 ubers. The resource system is definitely the most broken (our "generators" cost mana, increased attack speed hurts us more than helps us, etc), but having to think about how to deal with it actually makes you a better and possibly a smarter player. Not saying all other classes are a bunch of idiots, but, I don't know, a wizard can just stack attack speed and CC, bam MP 7 uber tanking for like 5 million $ (maybe slight exaggeration). I enjoy being a class that requires a little more strategy. I also quite enjoy the variety of end game builds. Try to find a barb who is not a ww barb using sprint and WotB, or a wiz that is not archon or cm.

Ok sorry I got on a little rant there. Just my two cents.
Edited by Vorador#1326 on 2/11/2013 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
You need skills to play a WD and some brains to set it up. I find it funny for DH and Barbs that try WD and they seem to get confused with key stroke sequence for best play results.
Reply Quote
Cause they are the only black guy.
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your opinions!

So how come some of you think it requires the most skill to play??

Also im not sure i understand why you think WD is the hardest at MP10 level ubers?

I've already kind of highlighted the main reasons in my initial post. WD is the hardest class to exploit defensive spells with. Some moves like Rain of Toads/Acid Cloud proc a lot of life on hit, but it's still not comparable to the other defensive moves other classes have. Also, Spirit Walk is similar to the Monk serenity, except it doesn't last as long and you can be broken out of it early if your voodoo body left behind takes too much damage. I'd advise investing in like a 10 mil budget build and playing around in basic or mp1 to get a feel for the class and see what I mean.

Here is an archive of builds: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350275486

I'd start off with a basic pet build to get a feel for the class. It's really too much information to say here without becoming extremely long winded.

Finally, mp10 ubers are the most challenging due to our resource system. Again, you really have to play around with the class for awhile to understand. Certain moves like bears do more dps, but they drain you of mana faster. Other moves you can sustain for longer periods of time (Spirit Barrage), but they do less dps. It's all about finding the happy median between being able to survive and doing adequate enough damage to beat the enrage timers.
Reply Quote
I can see one benefit from WD already, and that is the community sounds like a nice bunch of ppl :)

Most other classes get frustrated so quickly and dont seem to like participating in this kind of discussion...they tell me to use 'search' function ><

You guys honestly have made me interested and Im keen to gear up and try it out now despite the challenges. I dont mind challenges, so long as there is solutions to it and it is possible to overcome not because the class is totally broken or something!
Reply Quote
Build diversity for sure. Sitting at paragon level 56, I've already tried a few different builds. For me it's about the journey and not the endgame of the class. I like using different support skills to help out a co-op group while having my pets contribute.

Funny thing was a decade ago I did many different barb builds based off different weapon types (ie. axe, sword, spear, hammer, etc.) and hardly used the necro (which is most similar to wd), but now in the present with d3, I like the challenge of trying different builds, gears, and skills for variety, fun, and challenge with the wd.

Finally, the WD community are great players. Helpful with advice, humble, and generally want to help you succeed too.
Edited by emeraldsword#1691 on 2/11/2013 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]