Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 1: Patch 1.0.7 - Answers

THIS THIS THIS - This is a perfect response that had me saying YES YES YES as i read it.
Make it happen!

After thoroughly reading the Q&A posted today, frankly, I was disheartened at the responses given. I felt that the responses given to the questions chosen weren't direct, or in some cases gave off the message "We know a lot of people are asking for this, but we're not going to do it anyways." Normally I would close the window and go back to mindlessly farming, but the more I thought about it, the more frustrated I became knowing that these changes aren't even on the table. I'm going to break down each point that I came across:

We even discussed adding ears for players to collect after they'd slaughtered their opponents, and whether that type of "reward" could exist as items or as an ever-growing counter in the UI.

After all those discussions, though, we always came back to the same principle: brawling is a simple, straightforward way to knock your friends and/or enemies into next week. That's it. No rewards, no objectives, no scores.

A small annoyance, but really, I would like to know what the argument was to omit ears from brawls. This is no way gives any player an advantage, nor is it on a public record anywhere for anyone to see. The most that can come from it is a chuckle when linking said ear in a game or to a friend for a "yeah buddy, I killed ya and this is my token" moment.

Another issue that I'm surprised hasn't been touched on is the player limit of 4 in brawls. For the PvE part of the game, I'm fine with the 4 player cap, but 8 people in duels in d2 meant more variety.

Our UI is rather crowded, too, so any additions to it are tricky to add for any purposes, not just betting.

I'm not going to regard the context of this quote (a betting system on duels), but honestly, you think that the UI is crowded? How? Where? Do you mean those 5 buff icons on the bottom? The ones that force my WotB to get knocked off and have the timer bug out? The same one where I can't see what buff is affecting my character, so I have to forcibly open my character sheet to look at my DPS? Doing that seems to add more clutter.

You're not creating an apple product. Stow the idea of a "clean UI" when its cost is efficiency and information. As I look at it now, I don't see any issues with UI clutter, and I have yet to see one person complain about it.

...is the possibility of allowing players to identify what kind of experience they’re looking for when entering Public Games by using "tags." So, in addition to selecting your MP and Quest, you could also hypothetically select your "Game Type," and "Brawling" could certainly be one of the types we make available.

I like that you're working on it and thinking of ideas to try to make it easier to find games for what players are looking for.. but you can do just one thing and it would solve every complaint about not finding games, about not having anything to do, about being sick of either looking at your character, the AH, or listening to the followers babble on. You already know what I'm going to say - Custom Games. And on a related note, once a player beats inferno, ditch the quest requirement for games if the last quest is selected. Make all bosses spawn, and get rid of story themed events, cross act WPs. There,

A2 BC Mines duels
A1 FoM duelz
Jewelry Trades
Newb WW barb help

You see where I'm going with this.

(we were paying pretty close attention to how people were finding one another on the PTR and think players were doing just fine)

I hate to poke a hole in this eager logic, but the people that are finding these games are doing so because they are FORCED to do this in order to PvP. And many of the people on the PTR are there mainly for that aspect of the patch, so of course there's going to be many people looking for pvp. Wait a month or two after the release of the patch and tell me if people are really impressed with this "ability" to find pvp games.

There are just too many variables that could wreak havoc during a duel: non-PvP friendly geometry, events, scripted sequences, monsters, level-up effects, portals, etc.

For example: What if someone duels a player while they have Leah (or another hireling) as a follower? What if someone accidentally clicks on an NPC and opens up a dialogue window or a vendor screen? What happens when someone transitions through a portal or to a new zone?

This one made me LOL. Most of these things were in D2 PvP and it all worked flawlessly. The terrain was filled with areas you couldn't walk on, or you would get stuck on, there were monsters that you would just kill (assuming brawls/duels/whatever you want to call it would be on MP0, you can do the same in D3), people had mercs in duels, and some people thought it was bad manner. If thats the case, i'd just use my merc. Easy! Don't want Tyreal or Leah? Make the game on a quest that doesn't have them as a follower.

A trade window or text comes up?..... you hit space bar... You can't be serious here. When would one come up anyways? I rarely see random merchants sitting around in the middle of nowhere. If a portal to another zone comes into play, so what? You follow the player who risks running into mobs (their decision), or sit and gloat at the chicken who ran.

Simple fixes. Simple logic.

Sure, we could try to make accommodations for dueling to assist with each and every of these situations, but not only would those changes require a significant time and resource investment, they'd also have to be flawlessly integrated into the main game world.

How? I think I explained a good chunk of solutions to "what could go wrong." Are you really going to say that you need ~500 hours of dev time to make these changes?

And please, please, please stop with this excuse "these changes would take too much time and resources." That translates to "we don't take this aspect of the game seriously, so we're going to make a bandaid fix on it while distracting you with other things that will either excite you or upset you." I would love to work somewhere where i can simply just say "nah lol that'd take too much work, tell them we're not gonna do it, and don't apologize for anything."

Diablo III is about killing monsters and finding evermore powerful enemies and items to kill them with. Trading is just one method by which players can obtain items, and the Auction House is currently the most popular way to do that.

I'm pretty sure they guy that said this doesn't even play this game.

We love that players are able to remove gems from sockets in Diablo III, as it helps provide more flexibility as you gear up rather than locking you to single choice.

contradicts

In all honesty, I wish the cost to remove the lower tier gems was much higher, more in line with the cost of the Marquise gem. We would prefer players to be crafting new gems of all types rather than just shuffling them around

On another note, Bnet 2.0 is a complete downgrade from Bnet 1.0. I know its been said a million times, but I have never seen a blue acknowledge it. Please, for the love of everything lovely, do NOT add the fake little chatbox chat rooms from SC2. What happened to the chat rooms like in D2, or in WC3. Those operated perfectly. you could create rooms for your friends to talk to each other all at the same time. As it is right now, even if more than one of my friends is playing, I cant actively and efficiently talk to both of them at the same time. its tedious, especially if i have to say the same thing to the both of them. Hell, Bnet 1.0 even had /friends message (to message all your friends online) and no one seemed to rage over that they way they do with the lack of the social lobby/chat rooms.

You could click on someone in the channel and view their profile right from there. They had gear to show off, levels, icons, portraits. Where did this all go? I cannot even fathom why this was abandoned in this game.

If this Q&A is supposed to be a step in the right direction, make that direction for the BETTERING OF THE GAME. Don't use it as a defense to claim asinine reasons why you refuse to create a better game.
Reply Quote
This Q&A was disappointing. Next time do an AMA in reddit, and answer the most rated questions, not cherry-picking the easy ones that fit your pre-made answers. The answers to Class questions were particularly laughable considering your own posts months ago.
Reply Quote
View profile
I know this Q/A was focused specifically on 1.07, but I just gotta say, it's all pretty meaningless and unimportant info.

Until the developers acknowledge the real, core, fundamental problems with the game (itemization, no character customization, no random'ness or open'ness in the world, etc.) then this is just wasted

i am tired of hearing you cant run around the world ummm to all the d3 people whom think this is a good idea there is something called wow go pay to play this is a game you can play for free every month d3 team is doing a super job and this is DIABLO not wow please don't make it like wow there is no hoard or alliance and rember "THIS IS A FRIGGIN GAME" you dont like it find somthing you do like
Reply Quote
i am tired of hearing you cant run around the world ummm to all the d3 people whom think this is a good idea there is something called wow go pay to play this is a game you can play for free every month d3 team is doing a super job and this is DIABLO not wow please don't make it like wow there is no hoard or alliance and rember "THIS IS A FRIGGIN GAME" you dont like it find somthing you do like

I guess you never heard of D2 then... this is not WoW. If you want to reference WoW, go play it then. The actively moving between acts is a diablo thing.. not a WoW thing.

basic punctuation is your friend... use it.
Reply Quote
the patch wont let me play
Reply Quote
For Highborne,

Hi man, I can see all the hate in this community. I've read hundreds of comments about people quitting. I actually enjoy the game and wanted to share that with my brother and old friends from diablo 2. Since people already spent their 60$ and they hate the game so much why not just give their keys away for some other people that may or may not like the game.

And by the way, I have never botted or duped or multiboxed or have attempted any cheating crap in any diablo game..... I enjoyed diablo 2 lod and played it for almost 10 years, now I enjoy diablo 3, not as much as D2 but I will keep playing it because I think it will get better just the same way D2 improved with LOD (runewords, ubers, monsters, classes, unique upgrades).

Next time you make a judgement think twice man, that will help you in real life as well.

Cheers
Edited by Cex#6397 on 2/12/2013 4:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
With the advent of all these account bound crafted and findable objects, would we be able to request an account bound stash tab?!?! As in, another tab that holds only account bound items? Please please please?? Staff of herding etc, plus now all these different craftable items, plus drop items. My stash is getting crowded trying to carry everything for my 4 characters as well as the account bound stuff... Please Blues?!?!
Reply Quote
when will u guys fix the current patch bug?
Reply Quote
#1 question, when is your auction house going to come up you lazy bastards
Reply Quote
I still seek my answer on why your AH is still down after 12hours of maintenance?
Reply Quote
For Highborne,

Hi man, I can see all the hate in this community. I've read hundreds of comments about people quitting. I actually enjoy the game and wanted to share that with my brother and old friends from diablo 2. Since people already spent their 60$ and they hate the game so much why not just give their keys away for some other people that may or may not like the game.

And by the way, I have never botted or duped or multiboxed or have attempted any cheating crap in any diablo game..... I enjoyed diablo 2 lod and played it for almost 10 years, now I enjoy diablo 3, not as much as D2 but I will keep playing it because I think it will get better just the same way D2 improved with LOD (runewords, ubers, monsters, classes, unique upgrades).

Next time you make a judgement think twice man, that will help you in real life as well.

Cheers

I would gladly have sold my D3 if it weren't tied to WoW and SC2. If there was a way to get this game off the account and be rid of it, I'd take it.
Reply Quote
^idk why we have to wait til they implement those things that they should have had it in in this game.

Again, Starcraft II did a good job inheriting things that Starcraft: Broodwar has. But as for this game, why did they left out so many things that supposed to be in a sequel?
Reply Quote
im using US client playing ASIA region, it says "a new patch for diablo3 is available bla bla blah" then automatic game exit

do i need to wait for 3 to 1million days again until the asia region is already playable for new patch?

always happening when theres a new patch
Reply Quote
Thank You Very Much for Releasing Brawling!

I know it may not be perfect and exactly the way you guys wanted it but I for one am VERY HAPPY to have it!

- F4st
Reply Quote
would be cool if i could make an ice arrow demon hunter, or a poison nova barb or something customizable...
Reply Quote
After thoroughly reading the Q&A posted today, frankly, I was disheartened at the responses given. I felt that the responses given to the questions chosen weren't direct, or in some cases gave off the message "We know a lot of people are asking for this, but we're not going to do it anyways." Normally I would close the window and go back to mindlessly farming, but the more I thought about it, the more frustrated I became knowing that these changes aren't even on the table. I'm going to break down each point that I came across:

We even discussed adding ears for players to collect after they'd slaughtered their opponents, and whether that type of "reward" could exist as items or as an ever-growing counter in the UI.

After all those discussions, though, we always came back to the same principle: brawling is a simple, straightforward way to knock your friends and/or enemies into next week. That's it. No rewards, no objectives, no scores.

A small annoyance, but really, I would like to know what the argument was to omit ears from brawls. This is no way gives any player an advantage, nor is it on a public record anywhere for anyone to see. The most that can come from it is a chuckle when linking said ear in a game or to a friend for a "yeah buddy, I killed ya and this is my token" moment.

Another issue that I'm surprised hasn't been touched on is the player limit of 4 in brawls. For the PvE part of the game, I'm fine with the 4 player cap, but 8 people in duels in d2 meant more variety.

Our UI is rather crowded, too, so any additions to it are tricky to add for any purposes, not just betting.

I'm not going to regard the context of this quote (a betting system on duels), but honestly, you think that the UI is crowded? How? Where? Do you mean those 5 buff icons on the bottom? The ones that force my WotB to get knocked off and have the timer bug out? The same one where I can't see what buff is affecting my character, so I have to forcibly open my character sheet to look at my DPS? Doing that seems to add more clutter.

You're not creating an apple product. Stow the idea of a "clean UI" when its cost is efficiency and information. As I look at it now, I don't see any issues with UI clutter, and I have yet to see one person complain about it.

...is the possibility of allowing players to identify what kind of experience they’re looking for when entering Public Games by using "tags." So, in addition to selecting your MP and Quest, you could also hypothetically select your "Game Type," and "Brawling" could certainly be one of the types we make available.

I like that you're working on it and thinking of ideas to try to make it easier to find games for what players are looking for.. but you can do just one thing and it would solve every complaint about not finding games, about not having anything to do, about being sick of either looking at your character, the AH, or listening to the followers babble on. You already know what I'm going to say - Custom Games. And on a related note, once a player beats inferno, ditch the quest requirement for games if the last quest is selected. Make all bosses spawn, and get rid of story themed events, cross act WPs. There,

A2 BC Mines duels
A1 FoM duelz
Jewelry Trades
Newb WW barb help

You see where I'm going with this.

(we were paying pretty close attention to how people were finding one another on the PTR and think players were doing just fine)

I hate to poke a hole in this eager logic, but the people that are finding these games are doing so because they are FORCED to do this in order to PvP. And many of the people on the PTR are there mainly for that aspect of the patch, so of course there's going to be many people looking for pvp. Wait a month or two after the release of the patch and tell me if people are really impressed with this "ability" to find pvp games.

There are just too many variables that could wreak havoc during a duel: non-PvP friendly geometry, events, scripted sequences, monsters, level-up effects, portals, etc.

For example: What if someone duels a player while they have Leah (or another hireling) as a follower? What if someone accidentally clicks on an NPC and opens up a dialogue window or a vendor screen? What happens when someone transitions through a portal or to a new zone?

This one made me LOL. Most of these things were in D2 PvP and it all worked flawlessly. The terrain was filled with areas you couldn't walk on, or you would get stuck on, there were monsters that you would just kill (assuming brawls/duels/whatever you want to call it would be on MP0, you can do the same in D3), people had mercs in duels, and some people thought it was bad manner. If thats the case, i'd just use my merc. Easy! Don't want Tyreal or Leah? Make the game on a quest that doesn't have them as a follower.

A trade window or text comes up?..... you hit space bar... You can't be serious here. When would one come up anyways? I rarely see random merchants sitting around in the middle of nowhere. If a portal to another zone comes into play, so what? You follow the player who risks running into mobs (their decision), or sit and gloat at the chicken who ran.

Simple fixes. Simple logic.

Sure, we could try to make accommodations for dueling to assist with each and every of these situations, but not only would those changes require a significant time and resource investment, they'd also have to be flawlessly integrated into the main game world.

How? I think I explained a good chunk of solutions to "what could go wrong." Are you really going to say that you need ~500 hours of dev time to make these changes?

And please, please, please stop with this excuse "these changes would take too much time and resources." That translates to "we don't take this aspect of the game seriously, so we're going to make a bandaid fix on it while distracting you with other things that will either excite you or upset you." I would love to work somewhere where i can simply just say "nah lol that'd take too much work, tell them we're not gonna do it, and don't apologize for anything."

Diablo III is about killing monsters and finding evermore powerful enemies and items to kill them with. Trading is just one method by which players can obtain items, and the Auction House is currently the most popular way to do that.

I'm pretty sure they guy that said this doesn't even play this game.

We love that players are able to remove gems from sockets in Diablo III, as it helps provide more flexibility as you gear up rather than locking you to single choice.

contradicts

In all honesty, I wish the cost to remove the lower tier gems was much higher, more in line with the cost of the Marquise gem. We would prefer players to be crafting new gems of all types rather than just shuffling them around

On another note, Bnet 2.0 is a complete downgrade from Bnet 1.0. I know its been said a million times, but I have never seen a blue acknowledge it. Please, for the love of everything lovely, do NOT add the fake little chatbox chat rooms from SC2. What happened to the chat rooms like in D2, or in WC3. Those operated perfectly. you could create rooms for your friends to talk to each other all at the same time. As it is right now, even if more than one of my friends is playing, I cant actively and efficiently talk to both of them at the same time. its tedious, especially if i have to say the same thing to the both of them. Hell, Bnet 1.0 even had /friends message (to message all your friends online) and no one seemed to rage over that they way they do with the lack of the social lobby/chat rooms.

You could click on someone in the channel and view their profile right from there. They had gear to show off, levels, icons, portraits. Where did this all go? I cannot even fathom why this was abandoned in this game.

If this Q&A is supposed to be a step in the right direction, make that direction for the BETTERING OF THE GAME. Don't use it as a defense to claim asinine reasons why you refuse to create a better game.

this
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]