Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 1: Patch 1.0.7 - Answers

After reading the answers from the devs, I feel as though most of them don't understand what the community wants.

Many interesting ideas were asked, and the few that were answered were answered like, "That is a good idea but we do not want to do this because (reason)." Sometimes the answeres were conflicting. Like the Brawling section.

02/11/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
After all those discussions, though, we always came back to the same principle: brawling is a simple, straightforward way to knock your friends and/or enemies into next week. That's it. No rewards, no objectives, no scores. The goal of the feature is to give players a way to fight each other in a no-holds-barred kind of environment, and we want to keep that environment as simple, straightforward, and "no-holds-barred" as possible.

This is their basic explanation of brawling. I can understand, then, why they would not want to have a scoring system. But, the only explanation they give for not having 'ears' as trophies and for not having 'betting'' is because it is not balanced. I don't think many people would agree with this logic. I don't think many people will care much if someone else is showing off their ear in the first place. But also with the gold betting system, I don't think anybody who isn't prepared to lose lots of money will risk betting in the first place.

Then their is the reason for not having open world pvp. They don't want to have random noobs get killed. That's silly. Just make it so that the duelers choose when to become hostile. And the spamming the invite button? I can think of several EASY solutions to the problem.

But I think the main misconception that they have is that dueling cannot be organized and rewarding if everything doesn't have balance. You know what?
---IT IS OKAY TO NOT HAVE BALANCE---
If that one guy used that certain skill/technique, then good for him! He put in the work to find this niche where he can dominate are certain number of people. I'm also guessing that there are no 100% indestructable PVP builds out there, that make the all other options unusable. There is probably a counter to everything.

If you say that you just want to let the players have fun, then let them do it! Let em loose.

Anyway, the rest of the responses were mostly about stuff we all ready know. They even acknowledged the few problems that were listed in the questions, such as the lobby, but they pretty much said "We are aware it could be better and we have some ideas but that's for later." So the community pretty much didn't get any of the real answers they were looking for, like some of those basic problems and itemization and build diversity. This just tells me that the devs aren't prepared to do what is necessary to fix the game. It has so much potential, and the community has waited too long for a major change. Is it too late?
Reply Quote
when are we getting free travel between acts and maps? should be like d2, all monsters spawn, no setting a quest. just make a game and go wherever you want. so much time wasted loading and waiting, its terrible.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
The world that you play through normally wasn't designed for player vs. player combat

Quoting Jay Wilson from BlizzCon 2010.

"Diablo II had a big dueling community, but there was really no in-game support for it. You could go hostile and duel, but there were no ladders, teams, or really any structure to it. In Diablo III, we wanted to create an arena-style environment where players could fight each other. THe different combination of skills, traits, runes and items available lead to an almost endless variety of builds, so rather than try to achieve perfect 1-vs.-1 balance, we focused on team-based arena PvP- so even if one class or build is stronger than another, it's complimented by the other classes on a team. We'll have support for matchmaking and ladders, and we think players will have a lot of fun seeing what their single-player characters can do in an arena setting."

So what did you say again about D3 world not suited for team PvP?
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 05:03 PMPosted by Pyromax
Blizzard, you fcking greedy bastards! Take the RMAH out of the game and so a game can be a game! You can be greedy but do you have to be fools as well??? D3 is a sinking ship, seal the fcking holes on the next patch or the expansion!!!! For the love of god, don't be stupid fools and think the public is dumb, you're fcking with your name and reputation here!

Poop.
Reply Quote
You know when something is so sad it makes you laugh hysterically instead of cry? I think the lack of development's response to all this outrage is that kind of laughable.
Reply Quote
why is it so expansive to make marquise ruby 20m i would have prefer 1or 2 m would have been enough?
Reply Quote
the best part, team pvp? lol. they cap the party at 4 people. what the hell are we supposed to do with that?
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 11:26 PMPosted by StoneOld
Like most people said, all this "balancing" talk is just esoteric gobbledygook. The Devs need to address to only real issue with the game; the one, single problem the game really has - it is impossible to complete without spending real cash at the auction house for decent gear. The underlying reason for this? The loot drops are reatarded, and the Blacksmith is, as Azmodan would put it, "A useless tool."

You are misinformed. Who told you that?
Reply Quote
I can not train the blacksmith with new plans; am I missing something? I added a lot of training early in game, but, now it will not let me do additional training, no options given.
Reply Quote
Question: How long has the Diablo player-base been waiting for the ability to "brawl"?

Correction: How long has the Diablo player-base been waiting for a patch to address game issues they feel are actually major?

Answer: ...Too long.

Conclusion: Next time, for the sake of Diablo franchise fans everywhere, do us all a big favor... When you, Blizzard, decide to create an arpg game that seems to head off into it's own direction entirely (when compared to various arpg predecessors), please do the same with the title of your project, and refrain from using names of previous successful arpg game titles (aka Diablo) for the sake of cash-grabbing. I think we would've all been happy with "Act 3: A Grind Towards the Inevitable RMAH", for example.

PathofExile.com... a refreshing vacation from the everyday drag of A3, and alot cheaper than the cost of that $250 amulet that's seen it's 250th day on the RMAH.

With hopes to see you all in Wraeclast,
That is all.
Edited by KaoKahn#1983 on 2/15/2013 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
I agree getting brawling out the door sooner vice later is a good idea. Kudos to the developers on that.

My bigger concerns echoes a lot of the frustrations of other posters...the game struggles to find it's soul at times. My group of friends stopped playing (sadly) and are now playing Torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 is pretty fun although the combat system lacks the gritty feel of D3 and the game is a little cartoony at times for my taste----BUT, the characters feel more customizable given the limited re-spec ability and player-controlled attribute points. I want desperately to save D3 and make it THE absolute king of action roleplaying games so please understand I'm not here just to down it. I loved (still love) D1 and D2. I'm a huge blizzard fan. Hell, I even own stock (ATVI)!!!

The hot swappable nature of the skills and lack of player controlled attribute points or skill trees means customization limited to gear. The Auction house is not the root of all evil and should not be blamed for player frustrations. Gear was always important in D2 but it wasn't the only source of customization. D3 makes gear ever more important because it's the only way to control your character's development. Re-thinking how to make characters unique and less gear dependent (a little) might be in order.

Randomization of some areas, monster density controls in higher level areas (player controlled!), random "dungeon of the week", random "legendary monster of the week", and less focus on bleeding gold out of the economy etc is important.

Also...and this could be added tomorrow....Playstyle customization:
In other words, if you opt to use cold-based spells and kill 1,000 monsters with them then you get an achievement and permanent damage bonus (1%???) to cold. Stuff like this could be added easily and would reward players for certain achievements with in game effects as well as make their characters more unique. What about an achievement for 2h weapon kills that would give you more survivability with 2h weapons??? You could farm for this and attempt to run 2h all the way through inferno----going back to farm up your achievement would make your character better, more unique, and would be less specific item dependent.

I'm not against farming for gear----heck it's part of the diablo experience---but I think we need to think bigger to make D3 better than all the others. I seriously don't want to play torchlight 2 for the next 5yrs with my friends. I want to bring them BACK to d3.

Go Blizz!!!
Reply Quote
Along the lines of playstyle achievements....remember building a polearm barb in d2? what if there were specific achievements related to weapon choice too...and make the achievements just useful enough to encourage specialization....this way we'd see unique barbs running around favoring maces, pikes, hammers, etc...and they wouldn't just toss their favored weapon for a new sword b/c it's bright and shiny. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
I thought the dueling system they were showing off three years before the release looked pretty cool.
Reply Quote
The patch 1.0.7 adds crafting that makes every other crafting useless...
Now we already knows that it was and always Diablo 3 intention to focus on stacking MORE Stats...

Now, im begining to question how would they embrace this kind of itemization...
First day on 1.0.7, is OK well its feels great.
Next day, i think we have a problem here...

Really, you may appease people who complains about getting good gear.
But still, there is nothing fixed here...
Patch 1.0.7 shows that Blizzard embrace the stats stacking system, and it doesn't look like its a good foundation on Expansion...
What next? 500 - 600 Main Stat on items in Expansion that makes every other items extended...
And even the recipe...
Ohh, stacking stats been fun...
Im really wondering..

1.0.7 is not a good sign at all....

Now i really wondering on how you would even do in Expansion..
Because, what you doing now is like digging your own trap hole for the expansion...
Really, i hope you guys have a miracle to fix this game on expansion now.
I really didnt understand the direction you take on this patch...

Still this game didnt have the soul of Diablo series..
I still didnt get it.
Still didnt hook on me.
In previous Diablo series, I play because its fun.
IN D3, i play because i want paragon 100....
Edited by DragonDutz#6607 on 2/15/2013 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
Question: How long has the Diablo player-base been waiting for the ability to "brawl"?

Correction: How long has the Diablo player-base been waiting for a patch to address game issues they feel are actually major?

Answer: ...Too long.

Conclusion: Next time, for the sake of Diablo franchise fans everywhere, do us all a big favor... When you, Blizzard, decide to create an arpg game that seems to head off into it's own direction entirely (when compared to various arpg predecessors), please do the same with the title of your project, and refrain from using names of previous successful arpg game titles (aka Diablo) for the sake of cash-grabbing. I think we would've all been happy with "Act 3: A Grind Towards the Inevitable RMAH", for example.

PathofExile.com... a refreshing vacation from the everyday drag of A3, and alot cheaper than the cost of that $250 amulet that's seen it's 250th day on the RMAH.

With hopes to see you all in Wraeclast,
That is all.

You opened my eyes, and I can now see the s hit-storm.
Edited by KaoKahn#1983 on 2/15/2013 3:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
What i feel after playing 1.0.7 for a while...
You are the recycling guy....
Now
Legendary < Crafting
What i view on the game now is that i play for Paragon levels and to gather all the junk and gold to craft a HIGH stats gear...
Its all about stats....

Now with this recipe, i beginning to wonder, DO they really want to fix crafting.
Crafting are still bad, except for the 1.0.7 recipe...

Im beginning to view. that in Diablo 3 Expansion, there is a lot of thing thats going to loose economic and usability value to the expansion item...
While in Previous Diablo series expansion Increase the choice, not replace the choice....
Edited by DragonDutz#6607 on 2/15/2013 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can we train Shen to make sockets into socketless gear?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]