Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 1: Patch 1.0.7 - Answers

None of the good questions were answered.

None of the problems are being fixed.

I'm so disappointed.
Reply Quote

Wyatt: Overall we're okay with the current state of Monk passives. That's not to say they're perfect (we'll definitely be working on them more), but we did not feel the current issues were severe enough to warrant changes at this time. The Monk got some changes to passives in previous patches, so keep that in mind as well.

This frustrates me the most. Sure some of the monk passives are ok. We have less passives than other classes. On top of that we have worthless passives.

If I could change one Passive it would be Guiding Light. I would change it to be Allies under the effect of a mantra have damage increased by 16%. I feel like it is the easiest one to change to give monks another decent damage passive. The heal mechanic is not very good and with only 3 skills that can activate it it's not worth it. Changing this to any ally under the effect of a mantra makes it a straight up good passive. This should also work for hirelings, mystic allies, and summoned creatures (item or other players), This would promote mantras other than Mantra of Conviction. This would be desired for party play. The only thing would be it would then out perform Combo strike (if it didn't get changed) in most situations. Combo Strike would require 1 of 2 attacks to be Deadly Reach: Foresight or require 3 spirit generation attacks to be better than the proposed changed. Though if I could change all the passives I wanted I would modify Combo strike to work with all attacks (SSS, Cyclone, Dash, Exploding Palm, LTK, WoL, and any I might have missed).
Reply Quote
I'm grateful that the developers took time out to answer questions, I really am, but I have to say the answers are a bit disappointing. I was hoping that there would be more information about the future direction the game is headed with tangible things I could look forward to.

The few times that they did do this it generally the opposite of what I wanted to hear:

Overall we're okay with the current state of Monk passives. That's not to say they're perfect (we'll definitely be working on them more), but we did not feel the current issues were severe enough to warrant changes at this time.

Ok, the second half of the quote gives me hope but I can't believe many monks are "Okay with the current state of the passives". In addition (and possibly linked with changes to passives) there was no attempt to address Spirit Regen. These two issues are by far the most talked about in Monk threads and they were completely ignored.

Again, I think Ask the Devs is a great idea but I had hoped for better news!
Reply Quote
Hey Lylirra,

Is it the worst feeling ever when you work at something, release it, and then the community are a bunch of jerks?
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
The Monk got some changes to passives in previous patches, so keep that in mind as well.

If i remember correctly, the "Change" was a Siez of Initative Nerf and some weird CD reduction buff from 15 -> 20%, a increase of 1 spririt more per sec on one passive.

I guess that we have to be greatful of these awsome changes(sarcasm)
Reply Quote
I can't believe I was actually looking forward to these answers.

I can't believe I've held out this long in my belief that this game can be salvaged, only to be met with this hollow response to the community's outcry for meaningful change. I strongly doubt too many people are going to read these responses and say, "Yes! This is what I wanted. I am so grateful for having been heard and love the direction the game is heading!"

Those who are still around are hungry for something, anything to make us believe this game can reach its potential and live up to its legacy. We want to believe, we want to see the Diablo franchise thrive. You're just making that exceptionally difficult. This Ask the Devs is only going to serve as a nail in the coffin, a dasher of hope, a clear sign that we can all go on hiatus for the next year and not miss a thing between now and the expansion.

So let me echo the chorus already coming forward in this thread:

Underwhelmed. Disappointed. Moving on.
Reply Quote
D3's problems is itemization and lack of content. Fix these and you fix your game.
+1
Reply Quote
GIVE US JAY WILSON BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wasn´t the problem at all....
He want to give us the Epic Diablo3 we are looking for.

The REST ist the Problem. Now i know the truth.
They are just saying... we considered it.. we talked about it. but we dont wanne do something about it.
We know the problems.... topas gems are useless... brawling is pointless... crafting is useless...
but we are NOT DOING ANYTHING about it!!!
maybe in the future...maybe not.

ah... damn.... i will never buy a blizzard game again.

one angry customer (which opinions you ignore)
Reply Quote
I'm more concerned than ever about the direction of D3. The dev team is now, like a lot of players, scapegoating the AH for D3's problems then trying to fix the game (namely with BoA) based on this false premise.

The dev team needs to STOP THINKING ABOUT THE AH. The AH is nothing more than a trading platform and a very good one at that. And Diablo is very much a trading game (as the team originally recognized when they set out to create the game but then forgot about along the way).

D3's problems is itemization and lack of content. Fix these and you fix your game.

Can I get an amen? Too many complainers on the AH now has this Dev team convinced the AH was the problem all along. Congrats to those who at any time created a thread complaining about the AH. Look at the things they ignored: Monster Density in Acts 1 or 2, end game content that is in any way meaningful to finding better loot and more diverse statistics on items.

But no AH sniping is the key problem to this game.
Reply Quote
I can't believe I was actually looking forward to these answers.

I can't believe I've held out this long in my belief that this game can be salvaged, only to be met with this hollow response to the community's outcry for meaningful change. I strongly doubt too many people are going to read these responses and say, "Yes! This is what I wanted. I am so grateful for having been heard and love the direction the game is heading!"

Those who are still around are hungry for something, anything to make us believe this game can reach its potential and live up to its legacy. We want to believe, we want to see the Diablo franchise thrive. You're just making that exceptionally difficult. This Ask the Devs is only going to serve as a nail in the coffin, a dasher of hope, a clear sign that we can all go on hiatus for the next year and not miss a thing between now and the expansion.

So let me echo the chorus already coming forward in this thread:

Underwhelmed. Disappointed. Moving on.

This is it.
Reply Quote
What I want to know is, who are the rude rude people who are reporting players for complaining about this? These responses are obviously rude as they simply are brushing aside our concerns. There is some logic to what they say, but just because something is logical doesn't mean it is correct or best. I'll explain:

The Wizard class needs to either

(a) being un-nerfed (all nerfs removed, energy armor etc back to the way it was) and/or

(b) fixed. This means skills like mirror image should be fixed/made more useful (mimics should be able to cast almost any spells). This means that Wizards should be allowed to strafe while using channeling or forward only (like arcane orb) type skills. Why Wizard and Demon Hunter don't have an auto-lock on feature or a strafe feature is beyond me. All classes should have these as options. As well as the ability to zoom in/out (monsters can be "trained" to respond more intelligently to long-range attacks without having super huge awareness radii, so no this isn't an argument against zoom in/out.. it should be in the game along with several other UI features that currently are not).

Anyway, getting back on topic. The obvious solution to the channeling (like disintegrate for example) spells problem is to make them cost less arcane and/or allow the characters to move while locked onto a certain monster, or just making the aim for the spells totally independent of the walking aim.. I mean, this is possible, I don't understand why this isn't in Diablo 3, a modern game. I understand why it wasn't in Diablo 1, not 3.. heck, the DH strafe skill already does a dumbed-down automatic version of this.. why can't disintegrate? I assure you if disintegrate cost less arcane and/or could be properly aimed while the character simultaneously moved, a lot lot more people would use it than currently do and since dev's don't seem to care (currently) about balancing "brawling", it wouldn't matter that this would make Wizards over-powered in duels..

Personally, I wouldn't use it in duels anyway, I'd use it in "killing demons more efficiently" as the dev's suggested.

These are just example thoughts, there is so much more than needs to be done for Wizard and channeling skills in general.

Much like how Wizard direly needs lots of fixes, changes and/or revisions, so does Monk.

Animations are cheesy-looking. Certain skills are not useful unless you have very very specific gear and are only choosing to do one thing at a time with monk (which sort of goes contrary to what monk should be) (especially certain passives)....In a lot of ways, the Monk mechanics are also clunky.. I fail to see why people state that Diablo 3 is so smooth, I guess other games must be even yet more clunky in comparison. I wouldn't know, I don't play them.

Dev's have no right to argue that they wish to improve the gem market but then make certain gems too expensive and account bound whilst simultaneously refusing to redesign certain other gems or add new gem types (or re-add jewels/charms/runes etc)...This is a clear contradiction and we players shouldn't be fooled by anything they said in their responses regarding the new items or the gems.

The same can be said about "brawling". What dev's say in their response makes some sense, but again, it is wrong. Why/how? Because they've totally changed their tune. Earlier they whined about needing more time to balance PvP and how they *had* to have this bizarre arena-style team death match..pushed it to the point where people began to actually want it.. and just when they had people wanting it and promised it would be finished soon, they scrap it and try to convince us that they wanted what we wanted all-along and give us the "brawl"-style dueling that we should have received at the very very beginning (any time before/at launch essentially)? No. I refuse to let this slide. This is an obvious flip-flopping of positions and just cannot be allowed unanswered.

Fellow Diablo gamers, protest, complain, (peacefully but angrily) revolt, whatever it takes, .. I thought by being one of the most obnoxious/critical forum communities online that we'd get their attention but apparently we're not loud enough and not clear enough. I think perhaps because we're often silly or nasty in our threads/posts they just think they can ignore us while pretending to pay attention but they're really just providing lip service.. this is unacceptable. So, let us try to be more civil/polite/intelligent in our posts, yet at the same time press them harder, louder, more to give us a good product and give us what they promised us, no more broken promises...

I think this was a very useful idea having Ask the Dev's, it exemplifies how much of a disconnect/huge divide there is between the Diablo 3 development team and Diablo 3's players (and their wishes). Hopefully, Blizzard will realize this and take steps to improve.
Reply Quote
If your next upgrade on the AH tends to cost around 500,000, then the new crafting recipes may start to look more appealing.

I love how wyatt thinks an upgrade i 500,000 LOL. TRY 1 BILLION

Also very lame they didn't respond to how crappy itemization is, A manticore with Strength and zombie dog % !! TOTALLY useful for a demonhunter!
Edited by Herbdoctor#1106 on 2/11/2013 11:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Lylirra,

Is it the worst feeling ever when you work at something, release it, and then the community are a bunch of jerks?

If I offered you a steak, showed you the cut, told you all about how I'm a world renowned chef, let you read insanely positive reviews of food I had previously cooked, and took it into the kitchen to start preparing it, you'd get excited right? What if, an hour after I said it would be done, I brought out an undercooked, poorly seasoned horse steak?

Yeah. We're the jerks.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think there's a disconnect between the developers who are "buffing" monks and the players who have geared Monks through every stage of the game and are now quite powerful.

Right now every monk uses fist of thunder: thunderclap for the most part. There are rare uses for a couple of others (in conjunction with combination strike, deadly reach for the 18% buff) but almost every monk out there is using ONE rune on ONE spirit generator. That is the number one issue with monks if you're talking about class monotony.

Number two is that solo monks, if they are powerful enough, use Mantra of Conviction: Overawe (and Healing: Circular breathing or Conviction: Submission for tempest rush farming). Again another branch of the monks skill tree is pruned down to basically one viable option.

Number three: every monk uses sweeping wind. this has been acknowledged to the extent that we have a set bonus that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game: sweeping wind cost dropped by 65.

If you want to address the build diversity issue with monks (and statistically Monks are the least diverse class in build choices), you must diversify these branches of the skill tree. Giving bells or tail kick a buff is fine and might result in some diversity, but we are very powerful in ONE mantra, ONE spirit generator and always use sweeping wind and will continue to build around those until you give us other viable options in those areas because they are staples of the class.

----

(side note: as less new players enter in to the game and current players gear up, amethysts value of 600 life on hit decreases over time. Life steal becomes the predominant option and therefore a ruby or emerald a much better way to get life back in that socket. Amethyst is a hard core gem and should just be addressed as that.)

Nah, man, you are just ignorant... no offense.

Go test WoL-Empowered Wave (OR LTK) + spirit-on-crit rune with Overawe vs. Thunderclap and only Overawe. The first will out-damage the second with pretty much every top-tier gear setup.

We have three very useable (four if you count Thunderclap) spirit generators and now option for just Overawe, WoL-Empowered Wave + Overawe, or LTK + Overawe. The top Monks will stick with Quickening or Rising Tide + Combination Strike/Foreseight.. THOSE are the FACTS.

Blizzard has succeeded in skill diversity but (like they said) there can be more work done ESPECIALLY with Mantras.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 2/11/2013 11:35 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]