Diablo® III

Zunimassa's Trail & Manajuma's Carving Knife

Dear people.

I am saving a lot of money to be able to buy and complete a decent enough socketed Manajuma set. However, I read that many people are saying that these are not compatible.

The explanations that I read are pretty technical. Can anybody please explain to me in plain terms why is this so? If this is indeed a problem, then what upgrade path should I be saving up for? Sincerely, theStrobist.

PS: I have 2 WD in my account, taongBundok and zombading. The former is my main character while the latter is just extra storage space.
Reply Quote
I don't think I understand your question. It's certainly possible to complete both the Zuni and Manajumas sets. The only barrier is that it's extremely expensive. If you want a Manajumas mojo that out performs a serpent, you're going to spend way over 100M on it.
Reply Quote
Thanks, the question was about Zunimassa's trail having a negative effect on Manajuma's poison damage.

I am currently saving something for a 30m dagger. Any more than that is foolish for me since I cannot farm for sustained periods due to my job as well my items are not selling in the AH.
Reply Quote
First of all you need to set a goal for yourself. Are you looking to farm high MP's, speed run, solo ubers, survive ubers, glass cannon, 0dog and etc. All depends on what you wanna do. My personal opinion is that I suggest Manajuma knife and mojo because the important thing is the avg poison damage on the Manajuma. May not seem like much but once you stack poison damage on other gear slots then it adds up. Whatever the mojo is, it's up to you. The 4 set Zuni is great and is a must also (my own opinion). The WD's skills revolve around poison, at least the most viable ones do. When you look for gear you need to find skill bonus for poison. Example Zuni boots. Look for adds x% poison or whatever you decide. Black weapons are good for 0dog. But... If your on a budget then maybe black weapon is the way to go. If your looking for a damage booster, then I'd suggest the serpent with higher avg damage and mana regen. Hope this helps
Reply Quote
Thanks, I currently have the serpent. I think it is pretty decent but not exceptional. My goal is to be able to farm MP5-10 comfortably. Currently, I farm MP2-3 with little effort. I do not want to pigeon hole myself into one build alone like what 0 dog will force me to. I am currently switching between the proctor/rainman/pets build and the bears/pyrogeist/pets build which I like a lot. I still cannot understand the relation of Zunimassa's trail being detrimental to a poisoned weapon.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:20 AMPosted by theStrobist
Thanks, I currently have the serpent. I think it is pretty decent but not exceptional. My goal is to be able to farm MP5-10 comfortably. Currently, I farm MP2-3 with little effort. I do not want to pigeon hole myself into one build alone like what 0 dog will force me to. I am currently switching between the proctor/rainman/pets build and the bears/pyrogeist/pets build which I like a lot. I still cannot understand the relation of Zunimassa's trail being detrimental to a poisoned weapon.

It's not detrimental, it means that the elemental damage (+100-400 poison for the knife) doesn't benefit from the 7% or 8% from the zuni boots. Only "black" damage, such as +Minimum,+Maximum , or the non elemental damage from a mana's knife actually see the multiplier.
Reply Quote
I see, thank you very much. So my poison skills will also benefit from these as well? Thanks, that cleared things up. I will save up some more. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:46 AMPosted by PurgatoryZ
It's not detrimental, it means that the elemental damage (+100-400 poison for the knife) doesn't benefit from the 7% or 8% from the zuni boots. Only "black" damage, such as +Minimum,+Maximum , or the non elemental damage from a mana's knife actually see the multiplier.

This. I found an EF recently which had the same DPS, less int and less CD than my MCK, but it had so called black damage, and thus it increased my dps by like 10k (while wearing zuni boots). BiS for a 1h weapon would be a 1k dps yellow knife with LS, OS, CD, black damage, and mana regen.. but alas that would be quite expensive.

MCK is still quite popular though, since for a bears oriented build it's a cheap way to get LS and CD.
Edited by Vorador#1326 on 2/11/2013 7:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:52 AMPosted by theStrobist
I see, thank you very much. So my poison skills will also benefit from these as well? Thanks, that cleared things up. I will save up some more. Thanks again.

No, the actual damage added by the "Adds X% to" affix is mostly meaningless. Every skill will get the bonus, it's just that the extra 7/8% will be added *as* that damage type. So, like I said, it's mostly meaningless unless you are using bad medicine.
Reply Quote
I understand your question now.

Manajuma's knife does elemental damage, not physical. A physical damage weapon with the same specs would get more synergy with your boots.

Don't worry about that though. A physical damage weapon with a socket, high crit damage, high int, high lifesteal - is way out of your price range. Manajumas is probably what you can afford with all those attributes.

I recently spent $140M on a physical (black) damage sword that had slightly worse stats than my Manajumas knife, and it was a big letdown.
Reply Quote
I see, thank you very much. I am currently using Bad Medicine with Acid. I may swap it with something else when I am using Bears.

I hope Blizzard will fix this thing and make it less confusing.

After the knife, I will have to save up for that mojo.
Reply Quote

I recently spent $140M on a physical (black) damage sword that had slightly worse stats than my Manajumas knife, and it was a big letdown.

This so much. Most of the time the added black damage does not fair better then more CD or more INT.
Reply Quote
I see...

So, a 780-dps Manajuma with CC is more powerful than a 980-fps Manajuma without CC? How much black damage should make a difference? 50-100 points? Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Taongbundok tsaka Zombading amf!!! hahahahahahahahahaha!!! ano ba yan.... ok lang mag manajuma with the boots. Still adds the % damage pero mas makakabenefit nga lang pag black damage ang weapon kasi mas mataas yung % ng elemental damage. Maganda yung manajuma set with bad medicine passive and bears or AC...

Pero sa budget mo, ok lang kahit manajuma muna buy mo :D
Reply Quote
I see...

So, a 780-dps Manajuma with CC is more powerful than a 980-fps Manajuma without CC? How much black damage should make a difference? 50-100 points? Thanks again.

This is a subjective question and the results depend on your gear. Given equal sheet DPS, I prefer high damage black, no CD socketed black weapons to manas (that have os, cd) for a few reasons:

• Slower attack speed = less mana spent for the same DPS
  • Higher base weapon damage = higher chance to one shot enemies on a non crit
  • DoTs hit much harder with higher weapon damage on non crits

I think we'd all agree that ideally we want a black weapon with CD, OS, LS and as high of damage as possible, so really this discussion is around "mid tier" WD weapons. Like I said, experiment with both and and find out what you like more.

I'm currently using a butcher's sickle I got for 20m, and it's hilarious. I love the drag + 3 second stun, so I'm giving up a lot of DPS just to play around with it.
Reply Quote
I understand your question now.

Manajuma's knife does elemental damage, not physical. A physical damage weapon with the same specs would get more synergy with your boots.

Don't worry about that though. A physical damage weapon with a socket, high crit damage, high int, high lifesteal - is way out of your price range. Manajumas is probably what you can afford with all those attributes.

I have stuck with my manajuma's for similar reason to this. I have been looking for an affordable black dmg weapon for awhile now and there haven't been any out there. I have used d3up.com to check black dmg weapons that cost under 300 mill and none of them increase my dmg.
The reason mana's knife is so good is the garunteed stats that roll on it.(high critdmg, high int, high lifesteal) The only random stats that you need rolled are the dps and socket.
Rare weapons with black dmg have a much wider range of stats numbers and stat possibilities. You will see alot of black dmg weapons that are almost there but roll a low number such as 52 crit dmg or 2.20% lifesteal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/impking-1585/hero/3330596

You will still be getting the %elemental bonus using a "nonblack dmg" weapons like manajuma, it will just be a smaller amount. The base dmg of the knife, mojo dmg, and ring/ammy dmg benefit from the %elemental dmg from zuni trail.
It is very odd that the poison dmg on the weapon does not benefit from the %poison dmg on the boots. This seems backwards.

I would say manajuma's gory fetch(mojo) is not very important. If it has high avg dmg/crit chance then it will definately been a good offhand. Otherwise, you can use a different mojo.
Reply Quote
thank you very much again everybody. the most i can afford realistically is a 900+ Manajuma knife.

so, is it better to give it an emerald now or a ruby?
Reply Quote
it adds % damage to your dps.. simple as that.. it wont affect your damage of specific elemental skills.. because the damage is allready on your dps

and since it only adds to the base physical dmg.. it means you gain less dmg by using a elemental weapon rather then a black dmg weapon
Reply Quote
Ruby is going to be better most of the time for most WD builds as we normaly win more true dmg from raw dmg then from crit dmg.
Reply Quote
i see...

i think i will try to farm for this. i know people say that drops are random but i get 2 balefires and 3 tormentors in siege breakers...so manajumas should drop somewhere else?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]