Diablo® III

skorn or mojo?

Both skorn and mojo suck on mp5 or higher.

The only way to go is a plague of toads Crossbow. Use the Toad of Hugeness rune and GG.
They put WD stats on bows for a reason.

I actually laughed out loud. Funny stuff kiddo.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 02:07 PMPosted by SunTzu
I actually laughed out loud. Funny stuff kiddo.

Ty. I figure since this topic has been reposted over and over and over again that I would troll it.
Reply Quote
Both skorn and mojo suck on mp5 or higher.

The only way to go is a plague of toads Crossbow. Use the Toad of Hugeness rune and GG.
They put WD stats on bows for a reason.

Lol'd for real.

Bought a nice Skorn with LS, did SRS damage but went back to a 1h/mojoafter 2 days. What you're going to hear, have heard, and need to decide for yourself is; Which one do you like? Use that.
Edited by Blastronaut#1277 on 2/12/2013 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
this all depends on how u wanna set up your passives and what stats your gear has really all up 2 how u wanna set em up if u go skorn u gunna want higher mana regen/max from passives and gear suck as 4 piece zuni if u go mojo and 1 hand then u gunna want high attack speed and not so much mana from gear like tals armor and this frees up some slots since u dont gotta go 4 zuni pieces all ends up to about the same eather way in the end really comes down to how much $$$ "gold" u have to spend on stats for your items stats stats stats is what it comes down 2 skorn is just a name just cuz u have a skorn or a manajumas knife dosent mean its good.
Edited by Sajjad#1418 on 2/12/2013 9:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
i figured if i had a high dps spear it would be a mid way point between the 2, skorn or knife, and for a while it seemed pretty efficient but lately after a bit of experimenting i've had much more luck with a slightly faster weapon(paper dps being equal). and the bonuses a mojo outweigh what a skorn could benifit my playstyle.

especially with widow maker spiders as my primary, the faster attack speed drastically helped my mana regen even with only a 0.13aps increase it was noticible.

the other thing i noticed that helped me form my opinion was the fact that now when i kite a hard group, i can spam 2 sets of bears then kite, and repeat, where as before i could only get one set of bears out before having to retreat. its helped me tremendously to the point that i'm even thinking of getting a bit more as in my build.(as long as i dont have too comprimize the zuni set mana bonus as it is a must for me)

just my opinion though so it's up to a player and their individual playstyles
Reply Quote
I am a mojo guy now, sold my 14kdps skorn recently. Skorn has more raw power than mojo, about 10-15% better for the same amount of $.
My issue with skorn is you give up too much managen for it which once you run out of mana, you need to kite to regen, that kills you right there, my LS, life regen and passive wont work if I run (using acid and toad to take less dmg); Skorn also costs a slot for zuni set, and not flexible enough for other build -- lack of off hand.
I missed my big old skorn though, 200k+dps is just fun to bear/acid.
Reply Quote
If you go to pvp, then skorn, because haunt is determined by your weapon damage, not your attack speed.
Reply Quote
So when is it best to use a WD bow?
Reply Quote
Getting back on topic...

I think this is a very interesting topic for a Witch Doctor. Personally, the 1H + Mojo fits my play style much better and I happen to have a MCK and a Uhkapian Serpent that will provide more DPS than a LS Skorn so I generally go with the 1H + Mojo. I have no problems staying alive in MP10 but I'm also doing a fair bit of damage avoidance as opposed to damage tanking. However, I do have a very nice LS Skorn that I carry with me for certain situations and I will switch to that temporarily when the situation warrants it. I've found it a very effective counter to reflect damage and when I'm fighting a very nasty pack in very close quarters where there's not much room to run around to avoid taking damage.

I think this is the beauty of the Witch Doctor. You have so many options with respect to builds and gear that so many things are viable.
Edited by esorbma#1625 on 2/12/2013 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 01:32 PMPosted by esorbma
will provide more DPS than a LS Skorn so I generally go with the 1H + Mojo

Alright , now let me explain you something. Stop being fooled by dps ok? Skorn actual hits are MUCH harder than 1 handed + mojo no matter what anyone say and even the minimum damage hits are high. Now do you wanna have to hit twice to get the same damage? Hitting twice means you spent 2x more mana , the whole point of the wd is to get the highest damage per mana you spend, skorn kills any 1 handed end of the story.

A good skorn with 5% + life steal will allow you to stand still and spam your bears at high mp without running everywhere and kite to stay alive cuz the little 3% life steal 1 handed provide is not enough to do that. Also acid rain costs like 190 mana ? You want to use skorn with that spell my friend, you clearly dont want to use a 1 handed.
Reply Quote
i understand what you are saying evilal3x and it makes sense but for me having a mana regen affix is a must. as a bear spammer if i cant spam bears it severely comprimises life steal. i tried using a high dps skorn but i couldnt get enough mana to support it. i suppose if you can get ennough mana regen to support a build then the skorn would be the way to go. but so far i havent been able to get a balance with a skorn. i allways end up running OOM. if you could post a good bear set up with a skorn i could try it out.
Reply Quote
Use a stone of jordan with -10 zombie bear, it will solve your mana problem, for farming at any mp I was using gruesome feast / grave injustice / blood ritual I was NEVER running out of mana, for ubers I was using spiritual attunement / blood ritual / vision quest once again no mana issue.
Reply Quote
Mojo > Skorn

Why

If you use a skorn; you are either going to have CC or Mana regen issues and your going to be forced into limiting your build options to cope with these issues.

If you want to get above 45cc your going to have to get near perfect rolls on your amulet, gloves, bracer, both rings, and your helm. This is great but, your going to be forced to heavily macro your mana or be starved after every fight that lasts longer then 20 seconds (even with VQ)

So you drop 6 cc on your helm and you put on 14 mana regen. Ok so now your at +34 mana regen and you can breath a little bit better and you have about 40CC too...Not bad?

But now you go into a pvp match and realize that 1 hand players with shield are hitting you pretty hard because they are packing some epic Stone of Jordans and you want one 2. Well now you have to take away another 6 cc from your ring leaving you stuck at 35iscc.

With my mojo:
I have 120 mana regen per second.
I dont need to micro my mana, at all.
I can spam bears AND acid rain NONSTOP even without VQ.
I have so many more gearing options; If I want more EHP for a certain opponent I can switch in a shield.
I have IAS gear (i know right!) its ok to go 1.8 ias if your bears/acid cloud is almost free to cast!!!
Note:
I used to run skorn and I sold it because of the issues listed above. Once you play at 120+mana regen its hard to go back to 80.
Edited by Pillz#1495 on 2/12/2013 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
ill give it a shot. jungle fort for me on mp10 is kinda needed though, can you do it with only 2 mana passives?
Reply Quote
Mojo > Skorn

Why

If you use a skorn; you are either going to have CC or Mana regen issues and your going to be forced into limiting your build options.

If you want to get above 45cc your going to have to get near perfect rolls on your amulet, gloves, bracer, both rings, and your helm. This is great but, your going to be forced to heavily macro your mana or be starved after every fight that lasts longer then 20 seconds (even with VQ)

So you drop 6 cc on your helm and you put on 14 mana regen. Ok so now your at +34 mana regen and you can breath a little bit better and you have about 40CC too...Not bad?

But now you go into a pvp match and realize that 1 hand players with shield are hitting you pretty hard because they are packing some epic Stone of Jordans and you want one 2. Well now you have to take away another 6 cc from your ring leaving you stuck at 35iscc.

With my mojo:
I have 120 mana regen per second.
I dont need to micro my mana, at all.
I can spam bears AND acid rain NONSTOP even without VQ.
I have so many more gearing options; If I want more EHP for a certain opponent I can switch in a shield.
I have IAS gear (i know right!) its ok to go 1.8 ias if your bears/acid cloud is almost free to cast!!!
Note:
I used to run skorn and I sold it because of the issues listed above. Once you play at 120+mana regen its hard to go back to 80.

LOL
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 01:57 PMPosted by eviLal3x
Also acid rain costs like 190 mana ? You want to use skorn with that spell my friend, you clearly dont want to use a 1 handed.

LOL
Reply Quote
Pillz, I don't think you can do anything higher than mp2 with your build / gear. You might wanna learn the class and different builds / setups before posting random stuff.
Reply Quote
is acid rain any good on high mp though? i use it for a bit LoH but bears are the bulk of my damage. is acid cloud good for high mps?
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 02:37 PMPosted by eviLal3x
Pillz, I don't think you can do anything higher than mp2 with your build / gear. You might wanna learn the class and different builds / setups before posting random stuff.

If I put on the shield that my Wiz is holding, I'll be at 120K dps and 1.3mil ehp. LOL. Wanna learn the class and different builds?
Have you ever had above 1 mil EHP?
Have you ever tried 120 mana regen per second?

I have tried a skorn with a bears 10 reduction SOJ.

I can actually try different builds because I am not reliant on VQ.
Edited by Pillz#1495 on 2/12/2013 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Pillz
Have you ever had above 1 mil EHP?

I have

02/12/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Pillz
If I put on the shield that my Wiz is holding, I'll be at 120K dps and 1.3mil ehp. LOL.

With my shield I am at over 160k hp.. and well over 1.3m eHP.. im sorry if you thought 1.3m eHP was impressive =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]