Diablo® III

Giving up D3 for Lent...

(Sorry in advance for the semi-lengthy post ahead... there is no TL;DR -- if you care enough to read, then please read and if you don't, no worries... I won't be offended)

Ash Wednesday is around the corner signifying the beginning of the Lenten season in the Christian liturgical calendar and I've made the difficult decision to give up all things D3 related for this season as my way of observing this time of year. As some of you probably know, I'm a fairly frequent contributor to these forums and so the decision has been a difficult one to make since it is not just the game I am disconnecting from, but even more important to me, this awesome online community that I have grown to love over the past months ever since the release of D3 (believe it or not, I've been playing this game since day 1).

The likely scenario will be that I will be staying away from all things D3 related for most of the week, but will "break" the fast between sundown to sundown between Saturday evening and Sunday evening (as is part of Lent tradition to take Sundays off from the fast, but I have decided to modify it ever so slightly), so it will give me a time to (hopefully) reconnect with many of you folks I play or chat with regularly, keep up with the goings on of the community & game in-game and in forums, and, if 1.0.7 drops within the next ~48 days, time to play here and there to keep me a little fresh.

Honestly, this will be one of the more difficult Lenten seasons to go through, since I probably spend at least 2 - 3 hours a day split between reading / contributing to these forums during the day and some runs in the evenings before I go to bed. Some may even call it an obsession -- as much as it can be when you are a committed husband & father of young children in the home. It will force me to rejig my life and find other things to do with my time (hopefully constructive), but more importantly, allow me to focus/meditate on the central event that defines my faith (and what ultimately gives me hope in life).

I recognize that majority of people out there do not share the same beliefs as I do, and in fact, some people may full-out hate the one that I try my best to live my life according to (and fail more often than I'd like to admit). I also recall some massive religious/political discussion in the forums in the months past that have resulted in some heated discussions. In creating this thread, this is certainly not my intention, nor is it any effort to push my views on others. Rather, it is my way of saying "goodbye-for-now" to all of you and to explain my absence (in case it matters to any of you) -- and to head off any speculation that I am quitting the game that I continue to love playing.

So yes... I'll have another ~36 hours to go before I begin this D3 fast, and will likely be back on "full time" on Easter Sunday, ready to slay demons and engage in thoughtful discussions on these boards once more.

(PS. On a side note, I finally made to 10K Elite Kills on my monk. I thought the day would never come, as my time on this game is fairly limited but happy to finally make it here. Woot woot!)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 2/11/2013 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
TL;DR please
Reply Quote
More power to you.....Amen.
Reply Quote
seen u in many post n yes u will be missed. but may you find what you seek... as the monk says. god bless u.
Reply Quote
I disapprove of this message. Though you already knew that. ;)

I wish you luck, stay strong (or not! Ha!), and you'd better come around on your 'off' days.

Ytar isn't gonna be pleased with this, ya know...

(And oh yeah...check me out now, Nameless!)
Reply Quote
Take care man. Hopefully this helps gives you the perspective you seek. Good luck and God bless.
Reply Quote
1.) Log onto D3
2.) Carry about my daily life
3.) Receive Invite to play
4.) Play with friends

Otherwise exit game.

Past few weeks we played together and it was great fun. During your fast my odds of playing have also decreased :)
Reply Quote
Good for you. Am sure when April comes around you will have a new vigor to play, or won't miss the game at all. As long as you come back we might be on 1.0.8 by that time but with your sundays I am sure you will keep abreast of all the info.
Reply Quote
God speed brother :)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Good luck Nameless!

I have/had a lot of Catholic friends and Lent can be really trying sometimes.

Cool idea and I await your full return! :D

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
Thanks for all of your support, people. This just reaffirms to me that this is the most awesome online community out there, bar none.

And I am just reading that 1.0.7 is dropping tomorrow. ARGH! I guess I get to play around with it tomorrow night before I begin my self-imposed D3 restriction, but on the bright side, I get to play around with it for that 24 hour window over the weekend. I'm actually quite stoked for this new patch they are putting in, TBH.

02/11/2013 08:49 AMPosted by bapdawg110
Good for you. Am sure when April comes around you will have a new vigor to play, or won't miss the game at all. As long as you come back we might be on 1.0.8 by that time but with your sundays I am sure you will keep abreast of all the info.

I am fairly confident that I will be coming back with a new vigor. Oh, and 1.0.8 would be awesomeness but high doubts about that!
Reply Quote
Fantastic idea. You've actually inspired me - I might do the same!
Reply Quote
Nice one Nameless! The forums shall miss your presence.

I may try and emulate your idea also, time away can be a good thing :D
Reply Quote
I'll watch Hero to fill your absence sometime midweek :D
Reply Quote
Looks good to me. Even The Narco needs a break from time to time.
Reply Quote
I'm a bigger fan of finding something positive to do during Lent (or any analogous time) than giving up something. That said, you usually have to give up a little bit here and there to find room to do something else. Anyway, whatever floats your boat, good luck!
Reply Quote
See you in a few weeks Nameless :)
Reply Quote
As a former alter boy (literally lol) I commend your selecting something of value from which to abstain. Have a good break. Meanwhile I will seek to expunge my sins by crushing more demons. cheers
Reply Quote
And I am just reading that 1.0.7 is dropping tomorrow. ARGH! I guess I get to play around with it tomorrow night before I begin my self-imposed D3 restriction, but on the bright side, I get to play around with it for that 24 hour window over the weekend. I'm actually quite stoked for this new patch they are putting in, TBH.

Play the hell out of the game on the Tuesday before Lent. It's very appropriate, if you ask me.
Reply Quote
Play the hell out of the game on the Tuesday before Lent. It's very appropriate, if you ask me.

I'm planning to do just that. But if memory serves me correctly, server availability / lag / bugs usually render D3 virtually unplayable for the first >48 hours after a big patch. Hope that doesn't happen this time around... but if all goes well, I hope to be on binge-ing on D3 until the end of the evening tomorrow night. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]