Diablo® III

Competitive PvP Ruleset Discussion

MVP
View profile
I'm going to be working with MLG to help bring Diablo III to GameBattles. We believe in order for this to succeed, some rulesets will need to be put in place [and enforced] to help with potential imbalances and flaws Blizzard will not be resolving in their attempt to remain true to PvE-focused gameplay. With this in mind, I'm open to suggestions -- what kinds of rules would you like to see in Diablo III PvP?
Reply Quote
This might seem kindof random, but I like that the brawling is FFA.

For example if your doing a 2v2 match then there is friendly fire and it forces you to be more precise with your spells as you do not want to hit your own teammate.
Reply Quote
1 Rule. Have good rewards!
Reply Quote
PVP SUCKS!! NEED A PVP Channel Or Something Like that... Cant expect ppl to want to pvp in just any game you go into. Sucks that you all took away the Old School Chat Channels And Active Game List... Diablo 3 has been a big fail to me since the day is was released.... Got to lvl 60, got bored, Started playing again this week, pvp arrived, it sucked, Killed some kid like 20 times and i was bored as hell , Not Fun At ALL. WOW
OH!, And i failed to mention that i didnt even get an EAR!! Or anything at all...
Reply Quote
98 Tauren Warrior
I rather like the idea of friendly fire, forcing a player to not just drop as much aoe as they can mindlessly.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 06:37 PMPosted by SiK
Diablo 3 has been a big fail to me since the day is was released.... Got to lvl 60

lol...the game is a big fail since the day it was released yet you still played long enough (10+ hours) to level to 60? HAHAHAHAH you're not very bright.
Reply Quote
No leaving the Scorched Chapel at any time during the match.

Match divided into a series of "best of ___" rounds. Best of 3 for qualification. Best of 5 for tournament play, then best of 7 for championship bouts.

Round winner is first to 10 kills or whoever has the most kills after 15 min elapsed. If tied with number of kills after 15 mins, next kill wins the round.

No gear changing while a round is in progress, gear changing allowed between rounds.

Gear selection limited to your inventory, (remember, no leaving the Scorched Chapel at any time).

Skill changes allowed at any time. Change during a round at your own risk.

No macros for skill changes, gear changes, skill combinations, or macros of any kind.

All matches FFA 1v1, 1v1v1, or 1v1v1v1.

Potions allowed.

How's that for a start Sixen?

P.S. Those not interested in contributing should go sh!t up another thread, there are plenty, no one cares if you don't like D3 here.
Reply Quote
i think a cap on max HP and DPS would be interesting as it forces people to focus more on skills and micro handling without the need for very expensive gearing.

makes the tourney more accessible to everybody (:

how about an all white gearing tourney or something?
Reply Quote
i think a cap on max HP and DPS would be interesting as it forces people to focus more on skills and micro handling without the need for very expensive gearing.

makes the tourney more accessible to everybody (:

how about an all white gearing tourney or something?

All white gear would be the only real way to ensure an even playing field short of naked brawling...
Reply Quote
All white gear would be boring and uninteresting. The possibility of a char opening with a certain gear set and associated build (say DH turret and traps) then switching it up between rounds to another (say fan of knives, impale) would allow for more strategic thinking and make for more interesting viewing. MLG wants interesting content, not white geared chars slapping each other for 6 dmg.
Reply Quote
Someone brought up blue gear. You can get stats, crit, LoH, all kinds of things, just in limited quantity. Could be considered twinking. Not really tourney rules here, but a fun rule-set to follow.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Requiem
All white gear would be boring and uninteresting. The possibility of a char opening with a certain gear set and associated build (say DH turret and traps) then switching it up between rounds to another (say fan of knives, impale) would allow for more strategic thinking and make for more interesting viewing. MLG wants interesting content, not white geared chars slapping each other for 6 dmg.

The problem will always be that the richer you are, the better you are at pvp... it becomes less about skill and more about your ability to buy things on the AH. That's not pvp... thats AHvsAH
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:58 PMPosted by briarben

The problem will always be that the richer you are, the better you are at pvp... it becomes less about skill and more about your ability to buy things on the AH. That's not pvp... thats AHvsAH

You know the thing about the Yankees is even though they spend the most money, they don't always win the World Series, true, they have won it more than any other team and because they spend so much they always have great players, and good teams, but at the end of the day they still have to play the games and the mighty Yankees often come up short despite their payroll.

What is true though is that they are one of the most watched and interesting teams in baseball. Sponsors love them, other fans love to hate them (I love to hate them), sports radio loves to talk about them. They certainly bring in the crowds. As unfair as it may seem, all of MLB is enrichened by the existence of the Yankees, they are the tide that raises all the other ships in the fleet.
Reply Quote
from my experience in dueling so far, this seems to work best:

- First person to 10 kills wins (1v1)
- Healing in-between kills allowed <-- nvm, bad idea

For each class, MLG will collect a GOOD set of gear. Roughly 3 gearsets per class that meet the metagame and have the potential to suit everyone's style.

MLG should give out gear. This is the absolute most fair way to balance gear, but they should still give out GOOD gear for people to "borrow." (i.e. have an expert for each class hand pick some great gear that people would want). Players will select which gear they want out of the offered pieces.

I think there are extremely good benefits for doing it this way:
- most obvious is gear dependancy isn't an issue, you now focus on player skill & builds
- if MLG hand picks gear, stupid stalemates can be avoided (e.g. troll unkillable builds 10k DPS with 10mil eHP gear)
- CLASS BALANCE can be resolved with different gear sets. For example, give monks & wizards better gear RELATIVE to the other gearsets you offer.

You can easily balance the entire PvP by just offering each class different gear ;)

Do a few test tournaments and check the class balance with the initial gearsets you offer. If one class significantly outperforms, just lower the stats on the gear that you offer for that class.

- You could also have competitions based on tiers of gear. This will let you "standardize" certain sets, and then you can just be like "we recently added item X to mid-tier gear." and whatnot
> High equip tier tournament
> Mid equip tier tournament
> Low equip tier tournament
Edited by MysticaL#1298 on 2/13/2013 8:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

No gear changing while a round is in progress, gear changing allowed between rounds.

I definitely disagree with this. manually switching gear mid fight and knowing when to switch to what gear adds a huge skill and apm factor to the fight. This is really where we will see the biggest difference between pro and casual players. And to go along with this macros must definitely not be allowed which is a givin since the use of macros is already a bannable infraction.
Reply Quote
View profile

- Healing in-between kills allowed

I strongly disagree with this as well. Not only does it slow the momentum of the fight which makes it boring to watch but also there are several gearing and skill options available to every class that would allow them to heal in between kills. letting players artificially be healed in between kills completely invalidates those players choices who focus on life regen and extra healing from potions on gear as well as choosing healing skills as part of their skill selection.
Reply Quote
View profile

MLG should give out gear. This is the absolute most fair way to balance gear, but they should still give out GOOD gear for people to "borrow." (i.e. have an expert for each class hand pick some great gear that people would want). Players will select which gear they want out of the offered pieces.

id be happy to take a free gear set but just dont see this happening. also I think you are underestimating the amount of skill and knowledge of the game mechanics that goes into properly gearing a character. The one benefit I see to this aproach is the mirror match where, first player A fights in gear set Y against player B in gear set X and then right after player A fights in gear set X against player B in gearset Y. this would then require each player to master several if not all the classes and their various builds.
Reply Quote
View profile

> High equip tier tournament
> Mid equip tier tournament
> Low equip tier tournament

this sounds very fair and all but have you watch a all blue or white gear fight. from what ive seen the lower tier the gear the more boring it is to watch the fight.
Reply Quote
Healing should be allowed to be exactly as its set up so far. It's got the same timer as regular game so use it wisely as you will probably only get one chance during the brawl. Lots of skill and decision is needed on when to use your one potion and not waste it and if you're able to kite people to get a 2nd potion use in - good! Takes skill.

Also having it to a kill count is necessary for people using huge cooldown skills. There needs to be a timer for when you have to respawn so people don't sit dead or are in town waiting for their wrath of the beserkers to finish cooling down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]