Diablo® III

[Mac] Workaround for 1080p/Fullscreen Issues

- Technical Support
View profile
Currently both the World of Warcraft 5.2 PTR and Diablo 3 Live clients fail to allow use of 1920x1080@60p (1080p) when run from a DVI, HDMI, or MiniDisplayPort/DisplayPort connection.

This can be worked around until a true client side patch is made for both World of Warcraft and Diablo 3.

In the Terminal application (found in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder), type the following line and hit Enter:

defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1

With this command entered, you should set your Desktop resolution to 1920x1080@60p (1080p in the Displays control panel/menubar pulldown) before you launch Diablo 3. Once set to this resolution, you can launch Diablo 3 and the screen should remain in 1080p if you are using Fullscreen mode.

To undo this change once a fix is in place, open the Terminal application again and type the following line, then hit Enter:

defaults delete com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault

This command will revert your Diablo 3 client to the default resolutions handling mode.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'm gonna make this a sticky for a bit while we sort out these issues. Thanks as always Tia!.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Machkhan, can you ask S4d1k what other things the new resolutions model was supposed to fix specifically besides the 1080p issue? If it was mainly the 1080p issue, then it might be wiser just to return to the older resolutions handling model where standard EDID data is used and adding in a checkbox labeled something like "Apply 1080p fix" into the game's preference UI which when checked will write the above command to the appropriate preference file and restart the client automatically (after confirmation of course). This might also alleviate some of the issues seen by Retina display users.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll try to find out.

I know one of the major things was the fact that in the older modes, it actually changed the desktop resolution as well. This created issues such as hotcorners being broken, and if you crashed in fullscreen mode, the resolution may not revert.
Reply Quote
I tried the terminal app with no luck. Still not running it in 1080p. The only thing that seems to work is playing the game windowed. Soon as I go full screen, it's blurry.... Ugh!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
02/15/2013 09:08 PMPosted by RysingPhynix
I tried the terminal app with no luck. Still not running it in 1080p. The only thing that seems to work is playing the game windowed. Soon as I go full screen, it's blurry.... Ugh!

Are you first setting your resolution to 1080p in the OS itself, and then launching Diablo 3? And did you copy/paste that line exactly as I had it typed out? If so, the game should stay in 1080p mode if you start in fullscreen. If you start in Windowed mode or switch into, and then out of Windowed mode, the 1080i will kick back in.

Reply Quote
Problem solved! I did everything you suggested except I began game windowed and then switched to fullscreeen. Now starting in fullscreen after your terminal line works! Thanks tons!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Always glad to help out! :)

Reply Quote
is this still supposed to work in version 2.x? I tried it and it didn't work...
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
It works in 2.x. I use it to force the system to whatever resolution I'm currently at.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]