Diablo® III

Waller-Frozen-Jailer

02/12/2013 10:36 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
I guess they had to have a reason for making RD, because I certainly don't remember RD being around in the early days. And if it was, it wasn't bugged like it is now.

It was always there. In the early days very few people did enough damage for it to reflect back more damage than you could mitigate, and therefore no one noticed it. It wasn't until fairly recently when high-DPS enabling gear became widely available (you can get 150+ Prime, 7.5% CC, 30%CD gloves for under 1 mil for example) that people started to notice a problem. Even then, reflect only really hurt high DPS Witch Doctors because our class can't stack enough damage mitigation and Life sustaining stats to nullify the damage being reflected once a certain DPS threshold is reached.

To a lesser extent, non-CM/Perma Freeze Wizards also had a tough time with RD, for the same reason as WDs. Couple that with the fact that (until WD was discovered to be "the" brawling class) very few people played a WD or a non-CM/Perma Freeze Wizard, and it is easy to see how RD's broken mechanics flew under the radar for so long, and why its modification caused such an uproar once it was announced that it was going to be "nerfed": very few players were aware it was a problem.

I think RD is in a good place now, and I don't consider it "nerfed" or "dumbed down". Now, it requires planning and spatial awareness, as the enemies cycle it on and off independently and (at least to me) in no sort of rhythm. The damage is still high enough to make you feel it if you spam high damage attacks against it, but it isn't so pervasive that you have to build around it, or stand around watching until Spirit Walk is off cool down.

Waller + Jailer with Arcane and or Frozen though? Yeah, that can be tough if you had to waste your Spirit Walk on something else. "Argh" indeed. But, the insidious AI is what I love the most about this game. Silky smooth, exciting combat + an AI that sometimes I swear is the digital manifestation of a malevolent trickster god = A game I love to play.

02/12/2013 09:21 AMPosted by ImpKing
fast invulnerable minions anyone?

No. Not even for nostalgia's sake : p.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 7:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 06:58 AMPosted by XFasX
.molten is way worser, arcane is weaker, but it numbers more. those molten last a lot longer than before.

I dont know what you are talking about. Molten is a cakewalk now. It looks like they might have made the molten paths wider... but they are weak as can be. I can follow behind elites with molten and not have my life drained down like before.

Plague is big pain now though. Standing in a few stacks of that hurts like crazy. Even my OP WW barb was having a difficult time spinning in the plague stacks.

I did notice that something is a little different with the arcane. Before, if you were to kill an elite as they were casting an arcane pod, the pod would disappear... they don't do that anymore. They remain there for longer periods of time which allows more to be put out there by the elites.

All in all I think the changes were beneficial though. For RD it is so nice to run in with all the RD active and spirit walk for 3 seconds of damage. By the time the spirit walk wears off... none of their RD's are active so it's a continuous stream of dmg to them without taking any.
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 07:28 AMPosted by ofgortens
Molten is a cakewalk now.

Indeed. My Monk groupmate is thrilled.

Plague is big pain now though. Standing in a few stacks of that hurts like crazy.

Indeed x 2. I think it is a good thing though. At first I thought the nerf to Molten was a bit much, but thinking of it stacked on top of a couple Plague puddles....*shudder*.
Reply Quote
View profile
For RD it is so nice to run in with all the RD active and spirit walk for 3 seconds of damage. By the time the spirit walk wears off... none of their RD's are active so it's a continuous stream of dmg to them without taking any.

So far I think RD is easy. Haven't died to any RD, and probably will not any time soon now that the minion bug is fixed. Using Bad Medicine, I can bear them now on MP8 regardless of whether their RD is on or off. Personally, I think it would have been enough to fix the bugs, and left it on all the time.
But it is nice that the Tank monster groups that are health linked can't use it all the time. Those were the real problematic RD groups along with the bugged minions.
Reply Quote
I'm still at MP3.

I need to know how you guys feel/handle Fallen Lunatics.

Without being CC'd I can let my dogs take the hit when I pull back. But open a door and get jailed/walled/vortex and it's instadeath for me (45-56k health depending on which gear I have on). Some dungeons are just filled with Lunatics and I die over and over, having to wait for CD on pets to come back up. (Edit. 530-780 resist all).
Edited by Strauss#1858 on 2/13/2013 8:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Strauss

Throw the group's Barb at them. In the event of an absent Barb, throw the group's monk.

If neither of these things are at hand, stand and fire Bears. If you do enough damage to be at that MP, then they should be dead before they reach you. If not, Spirit Walk to get a better position, then fire more Bears.

Alternatively, you can try using Grasp of the Dead. If a maniac is under any sort of Crowd Control (including Slow), it will not explode. If all these options fail, run. If you have 24 move speed, they won't get close enough to kill you before they explode.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Strauss

Dogs always up and out front. When you see them, get your bears out in front of you, just tap your bear key and aim at them, then if they start getting too close, use spirit walk, and bear them some more.

Use the Spirit Vessel and Jungle fortitude passives as these will toughen you up, put you in Spirit Walk if you get hit too hard (works sometimes anyway) and will cool down Spirit Walk.

Bears are just too useful not to use.

Edit: Never let anything jail, freeze, vortex, etc. you. Use Spirit Walk to get out of there. You need to move. Find a cheap pair of lacuni Bracers or Inna's pants to get 24 movement speed, and then keep moving. Take control of the battlefield.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 2/13/2013 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 08:59 AMPosted by EddardStark
Throw the group's Barb at them. In the event of an absent Barb, throw the group's monk.

That's the best idea! Where can I get a couple of those! Who knew?

And if you have neither, grab the CC wizard and throw them in front of you. ;)
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 2/13/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 09:05 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
And if you have neither, grab the CC wizard and throw them in front of you. ;)

Always, always start with the Cheese Wiz. Hate em' for the cheese factor, but they are useful.

02/13/2013 09:04 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
Bears are just too useful not to use.

Indeed. In my opinion, they are one of the best attacks in the entire game when properly applied (see my handy Zombie Bear Guide!); second only to a properly speced, Wrathed, Hammer Barb.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 09:34 AMPosted by EddardStark
Always, always start with the Cheese Wiz. Hate em' for the cheese factor, but they are useful.

Well we have to be nice to them now because many are converting to WDs. So we still need to throw the other two classes first..... and then throw the Wizards.
Reply Quote

If neither of these things are at hand, stand and fire Bears. If you do enough damage to be at that MP, then they should be dead before they reach you. If not, Spirit Walk to get a better position, then fire more Bears.

Alternatively, you can try using Grasp of the Dead. If a maniac is under any sort of Crowd Control (including Slow), it will not explode. If all these options fail, run. If you have 24 move speed, they won't get close enough to kill you before they explode.

I usually throw the Barb. They like to hurricane out front anyways.

It goes like this... jail+arcane... spirit walk... VORTEXGETOVERHERE... dead on 3 lunatics

EDIT: I don't mind dying in a game. No dying = no risk = no fun. Just find it a bit overdone that at your appropriate MP#, there are still some things that, apparently, must die to. I rather be killed by D2 exploding and poison barrels. That's like playing russian roulette which I find fun :)
Edited by Strauss#1858 on 2/14/2013 4:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Strauss
They like to hurricane out front anyways.

Ugh WW Barb in group is the worst.

It goes like this... jail+arcane... spirit walk... VORTEXGETOVERHERE... dead on 3 lunatics

Yeah, not much defense against getting Scorpioned except having Spirit Walk ready when you need it.

Just find it a bit overdone that at your appropriate MP#, there are still some things that, apparently, must die to.

I hate it too, but sometimes as a non-Barb, you just die : /.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/14/2013 06:57 AMPosted by EddardStark
I hate it too, but sometimes as a non-Barb, you just die : /.

That's why when you get kicked out of Valhalla, you strap your Skorn back on (or whatever weapons you might have), conjure up your Zombie dogs, and go kick some demon butt.

Seriously though, the higher MP you go, the faster you die if you make a mistake, or read an attack or defense wrong. I guess that's why it's fun -- because you can lose.
Reply Quote
That's why when you get kicked out of Valhalla, you strap your Skorn back on (or whatever weapons you might have), conjure up your Zombie dogs, and go kick some demon butt.

Seriously though, the higher MP you go, the faster you die if you make a mistake, or read an attack or defense wrong. I guess that's why it's fun -- because you can lose.

Indeed. Well spoken.
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 08:42 AMPosted by skywalkerfx

Yup Yup.
The greater the risk, the greater feeling when you get out alive.
Reply Quote
My favorite is mortar, waller, and anything else. I !@#$ING HATE MORTAR!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]