Diablo® III

Darn,math on Marquise Ruby vs. Emerald for me

193k DPS with emerald, 203k with ruby. Guess I'll have at least one thing to farm for with 1.0.7, I wonder how hard it's going to be to get the plans.
Reply Quote
View profile
ya for those of us who bought weapons specifically for the new ruby its going to be a huge buff.

and they even buffed mruby from 150 in ptr to 160 in live.
Reply Quote
What makes a weapon especially good for the new average damage that the rubies will provide?
Reply Quote
It's %damage modifier
Reply Quote
ya for those of us who bought weapons specifically for the new ruby its going to be a huge buff.

and they even buffed mruby from 150 in ptr to 160 in live.

Chuck I see you've really put in some effort to prepare for the PvP. You are in the top10 of PvP dummy yet none of the other nine has the DPS anywhere near you. You are going to dominate the Scorched Chapel on America server. Good job man, and congrats!
Reply Quote
View profile
02/12/2013 01:35 PMPosted by esorbma
What makes a weapon especially good for the new average damage that the rubies will provide?

yes %dmg mod is the biggest factor. this is why I switched from ef as my main wep (which has a max %dmg mod of 40%) to a rare (which has max %dmg mod of 50%).

the second factor is the current sum of the min and max dmg of the unsocket wep, which is determined by its base attack speed. This means faster weapons will receive a greater proportional benefit from rubies. However you have to consider that wd performs better with slower high dmg weapons. This is why I chose an ax (1.3 a.s.) as a middle ground for these two factors.
Reply Quote
That's why you should buy my Uber Mace. max mod!

Oh so sexy..oooh oooh so sexy

http://i48.tinypic.com/2cghh5e.jpg
Reply Quote
View profile
^^ nice sales pitch :)

Also... I believe they modified it so the dmg % modifier doesnt do anything with rubies. That was the initial PTR ruby which was sweet.... now it's a straight dmg modifier to min/max dmg. So really the only thing that allows benefit from rubies is higher aps weapon which would give more dps from it.

Whether your weapon has 20% dmg modifier or 50% dmg modifier doesn't matter anymore.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 2/12/2013 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

Also... I believe they modified it so the dmg % modifier doesnt do anything with rubies. That was the initial PTR ruby which was sweet.... now it's a straight dmg modifier to min/max dmg. So really the only thing that allows benefit from rubies is higher aps weapon which would give more dps from it.

Whether your weapon has 20% dmg modifier or 50% dmg modifier doesn't matter anymore.

you are mistaken and I just logged in to confirm in live. what was changed (effective mid ptr) is the way the ruby interacts with the black dmg "bug" which was doubling the max dmg part of the ruby in the first few ptr builds.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/12/2013 03:15 PMPosted by ChuckNorris
you are mistaken and I just logged in to confirm in live. what was changed (effective mid ptr) is the way the ruby interacts with the black dmg "bug" which was doubling the max dmg part of the ruby in the first few ptr builds.

Guess I misunderstood when the blue posted the change then. I thought they were addressing that dmg modifier not effecting the amount of dmg the weapon is distributing.
Reply Quote
@ Chuck

Is using a Radiant Star of both variants a good way to see if you are going to get more from a Ruby than an Emerald? I would rather not waste 5-10mil doing a comparison. Or, since I am not using a Black Weapon, is the Ruby certainly not going to be better for me?

Also, would you mind explaining what about your weapon is specifically geared toward the Ruby? Apologies for my mathematical ignorance.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 7:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
wonder if a ruby will be better for me? Wasn't there a site I could do the comparison?
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 07:25 AMPosted by EddardStark
Also, would you mind explaining what about your weapon is specifically geared toward the Ruby? Apologies for my mathematical ignorance.

Those with higher aps weapons and weapons that run 50% dmg modifier will benefit the most from the ruby. Since it increases min/max 160/160... it will take that value and basically add 240/240 which is then compounded by faster aps weapons. So a 1.4 aps weapon with 50% dmg modifier will get 336 dps added with a Marquise ruby.

Whether the weapon is black or not really doesn't matter for the adding of this dmg.

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-tli5z <-- Here's your calculations with Marquise Emerald vs Ruby. Ruby would benefit you by 5600 dps unbuffed.

02/13/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Dropsy
wonder if a ruby will be better for me? Wasn't there a site I could do the comparison?

d3up.com or d3rawr.com/d

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-R199E Here's yours btw. Set 1 is with a Marquise Emerald and Set 2 is with Marquise Ruby. Emerald is better for you.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 2/13/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Appreciated Ofgortens. Does stacking Avg Damage on rings and amulet + elemental damage (which gets added to physical) further improve the effectiveness of the ruby? Since I have the %50 damage mod on my Carving Knife, I imagine the Ruby will be better for me? I will swap and compare Radiants later after I send my Track kids home.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 07:38 AMPosted by EddardStark
Since I have the %50 damage mod on my Carving Knife, I imagine the Ruby will be better for me? I will swap and compare Radiants later after I send my Track kids home.

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-tli5z <-- Here's your calculations with Marquise Emerald vs Ruby. Ruby would benefit you by 5600 dps unbuffed.

Appreciated Ofgortens. Does stacking Avg Damage on rings and amulet + elemental damage (which gets added to physical) further improve the effectiveness of the ruby?

The ruby will be physical dmg added... so having elemental damage items (soj/tals ammy/zuni boots) would benefit from that damage. Avg dmg on rings/ammy wont do anything with the ruby... but it will be beneficial for the elemental damage stacking as well.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 2/13/2013 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Ofgortens!
Reply Quote
Appreciated once more for you going to the trouble to punch those numbers in, Ofgortens. Excited to stick a Radiant Ruby in until I can get a Marquise.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/13/2013 07:50 AMPosted by EddardStark
Appreciated once more for you going to the trouble to punch those numbers in

No problem. I expect your Zuni Pox and Zuni Helm as payment for the hardships you put me through :) Or you can just add me and we can do some runs later.
Reply Quote
Almost makes me want to finally break down and get a mara knife.
Reply Quote
Quote by Ofgortens:
No problem. I expect your Zuni Pox and Zuni Helm as payment for the hardships you put me through :) Or you can just add me and we can do some runs later.

You know, I still feel like I overpaid for the ring (almost a bil), but I got that helm for a steal at 300mil. This was before all the Brawlers decided to roll a WD and drove the prices on our stuff up. A similar helm now is well over bil, so I guess my spending balanced out.

Some runs would be great. My CM wiz buddy and I are always on, and usually our Monk friend too, but the 3rd and 4th spot is usually a revolving door, so always room for new groupers. If you have Skype, we are always on there too. Add me too: EddardStark#1833. Will be on tonight around 5est.

02/13/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Dropsy
Almost makes me want to finally break down and get a mara knife.

You should. They are waaaay more expensive than they used to be. I got mine for 650mil a while back, but now a similar one is well over a bil. However, they are very, very hard to beat. Only an Echoing Fury (note: attack speed problems) or the very best of Black weapons can out sheet damage a good one.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 2/13/2013 8:49 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]