Diablo® III

1.07 Battle.net Population Display

02/13/2013 12:10 AMPosted by Gardrell

You are whining... you sometimes bring up points but beyond that, you generally are throwing out nonsense. It is almost as if you are trying to convince people to feel the same way you do, as if you were insecure or something.

Whining, complaining, or anything else you want to call it doesn't matter. It's the fans of d1 and d2 like Hugo who come to the forums and post about bugs, things not being fixed, and try to (hopefully) push development toward addressing them. It's people like you that sit passively by the sidelines, waiting for the rest of us to attempt to shape the game back into something coherent.

Hahaha... you be funny. You are giving him way more credit than he deserves. Bringing up Diablo and Diablo II, that be cute though.
Reply Quote
numbers must be that low to remove this feature that never made it to the public like many other features.. :D
Reply Quote
Why was this feature removed? I was looking forward to it.
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Artophwar
Why was this feature removed? I was looking forward to it.
Reply Quote
The only rational explanation would be that ActiBlizzard are embarrassed by the numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
02/14/2013 07:54 PMPosted by hasuville
The only rational explanation would be that ActiBlizzard are embarrassed by the numbers.

I think it's probably more embarrassing to back out of a promised feature without explaining, but maybe they'll come up with a clever excuse soon™.

Also, regardless of whether it's for the implied reason or not, I really, really, really hope the excuse is not "Sorry, we forgot." Please don't insult us.
Edited by Sungrey#1201 on 2/14/2013 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well.... while we wait for a Blue to respond or more than likely NOT respond to why it was removed.... Let's play a game and make up our own Blue responses on why this simple feature was not included....

I'll go first.

"We felt that this would not be a fun experience for our player base. We realized that this feature would further compare us to Diablo 2 and spark criticism as to why Diablo 2 has more people online than Diablo 3."
Reply Quote
Obviously got dropped because they were too embarrassed to display the minuscule amount of people still playing.
Reply Quote
Well still nothing on this.... Surprise!!
Reply Quote
still waiting for any message from blizzard acknowledging that this was even removed. very sad...
Reply Quote
it is there...

click public game, quest then it will display how many players for every quest.

this is new since 1.07
Reply Quote
When devs checked out the numbers and saw Diablo2 online status higher than Diablo3, they think - "huh, not possible, must be bugged, just remove it, because Diablo3 is the best selled game in the university in this century!!!111"
Reply Quote
it is there...

click public game, quest then it will display how many players for every quest.

this is new since 1.07

Although you are right about there being a change with the public game population display numbers it still doesn't address what was posted in the patch notes.

"The Battle.net UI now displays how many players are online "

Still waiting on an update.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 2/19/2013 9:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/14/2013 08:19 PMPosted by SilvanNosty
Obviously got dropped because they were too embarrassed to display the minuscule amount of people still playing.

Wrong!! As of 2/13 (8 days ago), there were MILLIONS of people still playing. I quote LIOGELA (one of the Blues)

We are doing everything we can, but while players number in the millions, our D3 QA team is...considerably smaller than that.

POSTED AT: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7923492281#4

Therefore the only logical conclusion is that they had trouble displaying 9-10 digits in an attractive way
Reply Quote

and yet there are a lot of item posted on both AH every day and their number increase every day

Nothing prevents you to keep dreaming that Diablo 3 will survive forever.

Every time I want to find a FULL public game, I'm successful within three attempts. And that's only because not everyone plays on the same MP level I'm going for. I do a slight change to MP or the checkpoint I'm in and boom. Players galore. Before that, I never had a problem finding a full game on my first try.
Edited by Griffin#1810 on 2/21/2013 5:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
It would be a shame to see the ammount of active players these days...
Reply Quote
Even if they show it, there's no way to tell if they're telling the truth or not. For example, they can artificially add +1,000 to the number, so for example if there are 356 players online in the United States of America, they could show it as "1,356" instead and throw people off.
Reply Quote
Played Starcraft 2 over the weekend for the first time in a few months and really enjoyed it, as usual.

Quite telling was that prominently on the home view, there was a news ticker that told me there were 750,000 players online.

If they can figure out how to track the number of online players for SC2, why not for D3? Is the math that much harder? Is the users table set up so much differently or not indexed in the same way?
Reply Quote
83 Gnome Mage
02/21/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Krine
Even if they show it, there's no way to tell if they're telling the truth or not. For example, they can artificially add +1,000 to the number, so for example if there are 356 players online in the United States of America, they could show it as "1,356" instead and throw people off.

If they showed the numbers, nobody would believe them and stick with their fantasies like:
02/19/2013 09:37 PMPosted by Bless
When devs checked out the numbers and saw Diablo2 online status higher than Diablo3
Reply Quote
they dont want us to see that are less than 1000 players playing this lame that they call diablo 3.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]