Diablo® III

1.0.7 farming new Rare recipes

Just wanted to know if anyone has scoped farming routes for the new Rare plans: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414570#items

Of all the bosses, I was thinking Ghom would be the best - good elite pack density in Keeps, WP right outside Ghom's door and he's one of the easiest bosses.

Here's what I was thinking:
- Start quest Act III, The Breached Keep, Kill Ghom.
- WP to Keep 1. Check for elite pack in room to the right for 1 NV.
- Go to Keep 2 and get 4 NV (3 if you got one at Keep 1).
- TP to Town.
- WP to Keep 3 and get last NV, usually not far from WP down long corridor going away from Larder entrance.
- Enter Larder. Kill Ghom.

I haven't tested this or any other bosses that will drop the new plans to be honest AND I don't know if this route will work for all classes/builds. I'll probably aim for an MP that takes me about 5-8 mins max. Probably won't take long to get all 16 new plans.

Let me know what you think. I'll probably be trying out different routes tonight before maintenance.
Reply Quote
Looks good Abend, but if you start at Kill Azmodan you could do the standard Alkazier run and then pop on over for a hit on the key wardern on Stonefort. Even on MP 0/1/2 there is still a 1 in 10 chance that a key will drop, and if it doesnt with 5 stacks of NV he drops some nice items. You can then hit up the repslendent chests end elite mobs in the frozen caverns. Guess it just depends on if you like doing slightly longer runs :) Ofcourse, if your able to play in a full game on MP10 that should make keyrunning, plan finding and leveling a whole heap faster ;)

Speaking on that point, is there anyone out there who might like to try running some full games on MP 1, 2 or 3 using the route I described (or atleast on that hits up the keywarden)? Let me know. I can do higher levels up to MP 5 but its so slow its just not worth doing :) GIves me a chance to filll up my friends box with ppl who might be on at the same time :)

Cheers,
Matt.
Reply Quote
@Ess, your run won't work unfortunately. You cannot start at Kill Azmo because Ghom won't spawn as you go back through the content to Keep 3. You will enter the Larder and there will be no Ghom. To do any of these plan farming runs you have to start your game at a point before the quest to kill the boss you are after. Hence, to do a Ghom run the very latest point you can start is Kill Ghom. You could always start earlier, of course, and do a longer run like Ess is suggesting. But I'm only trying to identify the quickest route to farm plans NOT the only route. BTW, when you do my route for Ghom you can still get KW after.

FYI my runs tonight MP8…

Ghom times (using run above and permawrath):
7:40
8:10
9:00 (died in an embarrassing way trying to pick up set drop)
7:50
7:30
6:30

Maghda run

Basically this is the next best run I sussed out. Problem is even at MP8 there's always a slight chance you don't get 5 NV given the starting point is so early in Act II. Black Canyon Mines for 2 NV, run through Sting Sands hopefully get Resp Chest for another one or an elite pack, sprint through Kasim Outpost if you need more NV or just TP to Road to Alcarnus and get last 2 NV, go up and kill Mags.

My times on MP8 (using above run, I usually drop WoTB once if I sprint through Kasim Outpost):
8:50
7:50 (abandoned, only found 4 NV).
8:30
7:40
9:20

Note these times are probably only useful for other WW Barb as a comparison. It's also a very small sample.

As for other bosses: SK, Spider Queen, Rak and Izual runs all have start points much further away than Ghom and Mags (i.e. you have to clear more content regardless of how many NV you have). And ZK lacks same type of mob density in his area as Mags and Ghom, plus he is harder to kill than those two.

My verdict: Ghom is probably the most effective run.

Using my times and drop rates for MP8 I could potentially get all 16 plans in ~181 minutes doing the Ghom run (i.e. I need 16 plans/0.66 drop rate of plan on MP8 = 24 runs to get 16 plans. Assuming perfect RNG: 24 runs * 7.5 minutes per run = 181.81 minutes total).

Get a good crew together and you might be able to do it faster.

Happy hunting!
Reply Quote
I like your routes, and the optimism in your calculations :) Good luck!
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 03:48 AMPosted by b4rm4ley
I like your routes, and the optimism in your calculations :) Good luck!

Without faith in the RNG I woulda quit ages ago. Some call that blind faith. But, yes, the optimistic time to farm is how I set my self little challenges that keep my interest bubbling along.

The other thing I wanted to add is that since the new plans are NOT account bound, you can farm in groups and swap plans to improve your chances and minimise costs - which is similar to what people do now for Uber runs. So, 1 IM = 1 HF in a party of 4 for Uber runs. For plans it would be 4 x chance to drop for your MP level. In other words, farming plans in a group of 4 is almost like doing 4 x plan farming runs at once.

Update:
For plans it would be 4 x chance to drop for your MP level
To avoid confusion, I'm not saying your drop rate increases 4 fold in a group of four. I'm saying that in a party of four where everyone is happy to trade plans, it's like doing 4 runs at once.
Edited by abend#6917 on 2/12/2013 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm just glad I know somebody who has managed to work all this crap out who needs a little Wiz assist. :D
Reply Quote
There are 15 difference receipe (3 from Vendor).

so by the time they get all rceipes, they may get 5 copy of other common receipe and upload them on AH.

** Please note that neither the Crafting plans nor the Jeweler Design are account-bound

wait for a few weeks...they will sell at AH for 10k each
Edited by huanAK#6843 on 2/12/2013 3:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 08:48 AMPosted by Whisper
I'm just glad I know somebody who has managed to work all this crap out who needs a little Wiz assist. :D

Who? ;P

I don't think Keep run is very wizard friendly. I'm guessing you'll have to run meteor build so you can clear and not get stuck in doorways, corridors, etc. You will pretty much want to play MP where you one or two shot white trash, so I think MP8 should be fine for you. Maybe we could even compare with MP7 clear times and rates. Anything below that is <50% drop rate and then I would also have to debuff my damage. We can try some runs tonight.

If anyone else is keen, let me know.
Reply Quote
Feel free to hit me up for some runs abend. sounds like fun :)
Reply Quote
Probably the best route I've seen so far:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7895009681?page=1#8

Quest: ACT 3rd quest (kill Ghom)

Clear Keen 2 & 3 --> Ghom ->> bridge, Rikk, siegebreaker, curve all way to Cydaea --> Azmadon -> Rakanoth ->> done

result : Ghom + Cydaea + Rakanoth with good exp.
Reply Quote
Probably the best route I've seen so far:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7895009681?page=1#8

Quest: ACT 3rd quest (kill Ghom)

Clear Keen 2 & 3 --> Ghom ->> bridge, Rikk, siegebreaker, curve all way to Cydaea --> Azmadon -> Rakanoth ->> done

result : Ghom + Cydaea + Rakanoth with good exp.

Picked up 4 plans last night on this route in one run.

I'll probably be running similar tonight - Love me some 220+dps Skorn Bells. Found the drop rate on mp7 was satisfactory.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 2/13/2013 8:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
I got the marquise emerald plans off a trash mob :p
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 09:11 PMPosted by WAZZ
I got the marquise emerald plans off a trash mob :p

Lol, grats. Must be part of the buff to all plan drops.

Slightly off-topic, but the XP bonuses for higher MP are pretty good I think. Not sure I'm gonna run with any XP bonus gear (unless I roll a nice HF). But I have to say kudos to all pre-1.0.7 plvl 100!!
Reply Quote
I usually start at Act 3 Quest 7 Second Heart.

Go to Keep 3 run it backwards at least 2 elites
TP
Go to Keep 1 run it backwards at least 4+ elites
TP
Go to last waypoint on way to Cydea
run cydea
run Azmodan
Go to Act 4
Run Rakanoth
repeat

While it is a bit longer to do 1 run I have 3 chances for recipes to drop and at mp 1-2 it doesn't take more than 15 min per run.

Edit:
Someone beat me to it, lol, guess a lot of us think alike!
Edited by Wulfgar#1770 on 2/14/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice, Wulf. I really like this run because you get quite a bit of XP at higher MP.

The quickest I've been able to do it at MP8 is 25min - not stopping for anything except for leg/set and plan drops. One of the runs took 38mins :( There are 3 bosses on this route that drop plans for an average of ~8min/plan. I think the route in the OP is still the most effective, but the route Wulf and others have laid out is the most fun.

BTW, got Marquise Emerald plan off some white trash last night lol! The new plan drop rates are pretty good it seems.
Reply Quote
Also, ZK (Act II, The Black Soulstone) can be a good run, especially for non-Barb classes - many Barbs will have trouble keeping WoTB up because you need to jump from map to map to get 5 NV (e.g. Black Canyon Mines, then Road to Alcarnus, maybe Sewers).
Reply Quote
I got the marquise ruby plan last night off a trash mob. :) mp0.
Reply Quote
There are 15 difference receipe (3 from Vendor).

so by the time they get all rceipes, they may get 5 copy of other common receipe and upload them on AH.

** Please note that neither the Crafting plans nor the Jeweler Design are account-bound

wait for a few weeks...they will sell at AH for 10k each

Four days later...
Reply Quote

Or you just keep selling the ones you get from day 1 until the price drops and make some easy dough for 3 days :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]