Diablo® III

Calamity Vs Manticore

Aps makes discipline faster
so calamity helps nighstalker proc per minute,
also because archery = 10% crit
Reply Quote
you need nightstalker only if you run strafe, but for strafe is better to go manticore. So useless passive, vengeance >>> nightstalker.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:27 PMPosted by divinity
you need nightstalker only if you run strafe, but for strafe is better to go manticore. So useless passive, vengeance >>> nightstalker.

You don't need nightstalker because you only run mp0/1. If you go any higher >= mp4/5, night stalker is a must. If you run high mp, night stalker is the most important and useful passive of all.

Strafe is useless unless you only play mp0.
Reply Quote
so guys, if i want to replace my manticore with calamity, what type of spec i need to looks for if i want to keep my DPS close to what i have currently? and how much would i looks on spending for one?
Reply Quote
Strafing with calamity is possible, although it requeires more "skill" to know when to stop to not waste resources. Also you I noticed more grenades/rockets flying around with higher APS. Ball lightning build for low mp is also viable at high dps- replace archery with TA, shot 2balls in mobs direction and vault your way to victory. SOJ with elemental arrow is helpful for extra +10 disc. You are going to oneshot mobs anyway.
Aim for 1200dps+(1300 is awesome, really) calamity with high crit, marked% and 48-50% enh. dmg. Insert your best ruby gem and forget your manticore forever :)
Reply Quote
well i am only strafing on low MP. which is mp3 - mp4 for me.

i will try this calamity thing, but the price for the higher DPS one is pretty pricey.

what's a TA ?
Reply Quote
I switched from Manticore to Calamity last week cuz I hated how slow I was attacking!! a lil spendy on the calamity but it's worth it! it makes my game play experience to a diff level! i am loving it! one vote for the calamity! :D
Reply Quote

i will try this calamity thing, but the price for the higher DPS one is pretty pricey.

what's a TA ?

You strafe on mp3-4 with a bit over 200k dps? how long does a run take you, and what areas do you hit up?

TA is tactical advantage. Kind of a staple of quick strafe runs, which is generally the point of strafe builds.
Reply Quote
Haha I like how dual wielding isn't even mentioned as an option in this thread, and rightly so. It's terribly inefficient compared to Calamity/DML...but it looks so damn cool I'm going to stick with it and hold out for future dual wielding buffs.

...they have to be coming, right???
Reply Quote
I do sword n shield so none of y'all matters lol ~~

Just for fun, i looks like a gundan!
Reply Quote
How much dps does a ruby (or emerald) add to a Calamity anyways? I've been playing around with a 1300 non-socket one, and for the same price, I can only get a ~1050 with a socket, would it be worth the -250 dps?
Reply Quote
My calamity is 1058 without the Radiant Star Ruby and over 1400 with it.
Reply Quote

what's a TA ?

You strafe on mp3-4 with a bit over 200k dps? how long does a run take you, and what areas do you hit up?

TA is tactical advantage. Kind of a staple of quick strafe runs, which is generally the point of strafe builds.

i do keep depth 3 to 2 to 1 and then rakis crossing and then areat crater 2. and rinse and repeat.

pretty fast run, i never time my self, but i use to only able to do mp2 top with strafe demolition. able to do mp3 - 4 now. basically just mowed over the white mob.

and i also use tactical advantage on fast strafe run, i keep changing build between mp 3 and mp10. right now the build is an mp10 build. i have my other gear with extra damage to strafe etc and low aps.
Edited by frenzyphonic#1278 on 3/20/2013 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Gibson
My calamity is 1058 without the Radiant Star Ruby and over 1400 with it.

So that's how I see people with 1600+ dps Calamity's.. I didn't know the ruby actually added the dps number lol, thanks!

In shopping for a socketed Calamity, what stats should I be looking for? I'm guessing to take full advantage of the ruby, the damage% is pretty important? What about the cd/ias? Should I give up 1% ias for more damage%?
Edited by timoseewho#1824 on 3/20/2013 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The ruby makes a huge difference in a calamity, especially a marquise ruby. A Radiant star emerald and ruby aren't that far apart in dps, but a marquise emerald and ruby... the ruby dominates it.

example, my calamity before ruby was 1281 dps, now its 1706. Mine is also max 50% ED, one of the reason I got it also.

Yes I love seeing 1.7k+ on my calamity P
Reply Quote
I kill elites on mp10 with SOJ in approximately 8 seconds give or take with a double socket manticore. I've given some thought about the calamity vs manticore issue, but there is a cap at 75% for cc, and with bait the trap, i'm almost at cap so for me, calamity crit bonus is a wasted stat. Also i have no issue with discipline, but for me manticore is the way to go.
Reply Quote
Areiren: loves your nat reflection and SOJ.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Raining

You don't need nightstalker because you only run mp0/1. If you go any higher >= mp4/5, night stalker is a must. If you run high mp, night stalker is the most important and useful passive of all.

Strafe is useless unless you only play mp0.

I would disagree with this. Strafe is my main attack and I routinely do mp4/5 with it and have no issues with killing speed or survivability.
Reply Quote
Calamity.
Reply Quote
The problem I see is the DH is too damn squishy at high MP compared to other classes, forcing us to rely on Gloom to 'tank' and limiting build variation. A DH with 800 resist and 5k armor still gets slapped around silly in MP10 (without Gloom). This means pretty much all the DH's that play MP10 are going with Calamity for permagloom (or switching classes entirely) and precisely why I can't get a good one for less than a freaking billion gold. I think Blizz needs to seriously buff damage mitigaion for the DH, this would allow for much greater choice and increase the value and usefulness of Manticore and Windforce. I mean the WHOLE POINT of playing a DH is so that when you jump into a game everyone goes 'cool the DPS guy is here!'. Instead it's 'meh, I do as much dps as you and can solo MP10 ubers, come along if you want I guess'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]