Diablo® III

who reach 5k armor without shield?

02/12/2013 10:14 AMPosted by ChadBroChill
armor is such a undervalued stats...compared to the "overvalued" ar,

So true.

I'm over 5k armor. It makes mp10 so easy

MP10 is easy with 100k DPS and 35k health and likely around 400 all res? You must be really good at your build.
Reply Quote
Also, keep in mind that all resist and armor do the same thing at a 10 to 1 ratio (in other words: 100 armor does the exact same thing as 10 All Resist). Since there are diminishing returns, you want the two numbers to be about the same (if you have 600 AR you want about 6000 armor). If these numbers are not in equal ratios to each other, then you are not necessarily maximizing your build. For example: if you have 3000 armor and 900 all resist, then it would actually benefit you to lose 200 all resist in order to gain 1000 armor (i'm guessing at the numbers at the moment, but you can see it in game by switching gear around). Keep in mind that the % defense increase shown on the item can actually be "wrong" since it tries to throw in specific resists, such as lightning resistance, or cold resistance). just move your curser over the armor that you have listed to see the actual % vs. your lowest individual resist % when comparing gear. (also, keep in mind that gear with dex also plays an important roll for reducing damage in combat, so don't swap out AR gear with dex for +armor gear without dex because even though it will look like you are increasing your defense, you might actually be shooting yourself in the foot)
Edited by ChadBroChill#1292 on 2/12/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
5k armor is a goal of mine. Once you get enough DPS for MPwhateverisyourpreference, max out EHP so there's less PvP gear crossover :)
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Coffee
MP10 is easy with 100k DPS and 35k health and likely around 400 all res? You must be really good at your build.

I switch out some passives, some skills, and change to a skorn for mp10. This is my low lvl (mp3) farming build. I really enjoy blowing up my dogs.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:24 AMPosted by ChadBroChill
Also, keep in mind that all resist and armor do the same thing at a 10 to 1 ratio (in other words: 100 armor does the exact same thing as 10 All Resist). Since there are diminishing returns, you want the two numbers to be about the same (if you have 600 AR you want about 6000 armor). If these numbers are not in equal ratios to each other, then you are not necessarily maximizing your build. For example: if you have 3000 armor and 900 all resist, then it would actually benefit you to lose 200 all resist in order to gain 1000 armor (i'm guessing at the numbers at the moment, but you can see it in game by switching gear around). Keep in mind that the % defense increase shown on the item can actually be "wrong" since it tries to throw in specific resists, such as lightning resistance, or cold resistance). just move your curser over the armor that you have listed to see the actual % vs. your lowest individual resist % when comparing gear. (also, keep in mind that gear with dex also plays an important roll for reducing damage in combat, so don't swap out AR gear with dex for +armor gear without dex because even though it will look like you are increasing your defense, you might actually be shooting yourself in the foot)

Exactly! If 1 res and 10 armor are roughly the same assuming no diminishing returns that means to equal your 75 all res you would need +750 armor on the same piece to equal the same mitigation which is isn't even remotely possible, so instead you end up stacking the equivalent of more likely 30-35 all res in those slots (and that's a pretty nice + armor roll in and of itself). Furthermore this means you can push the diminishing returns slightly into to the all res side and STILL come out ahead of the armor roll just because you have the ability to get so much more of the stat on a piece.
Reply Quote
twinsbuster, I have to ask you how much you like your pile-on build? I have always wanted to try it but I couldn't afford the gear. I would imagine seeing your crit#s would be hilarious.
Reply Quote
5k armor with powered armor buff is my goal as well. I'm short 400, still looking to find armor on some i63 pants with double sockets but none have appeared on the ah. Hopefully new crafted archon armor changes that.
Reply Quote
deleted :)
Edited by ChadBroChill#1292 on 2/14/2013 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 05:33 PMPosted by ChadBroChill
I will assume that twinsbuster does not read his own posts :(

I do read the post, You may refer to my thread with video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7789718997
I think you can get each piece with a few mil to make the build work. Of course the price go up when the pieces are tend to be good.

Back to the topic, actually my main point is about Horrify - Frightening Aspect. It makes the armor affix on each piece go twice in value. (with 4/7 up time)
So if you're saying 1 resist = 10 armor, when I have 5k armor, pressing Frightening Aspect give me another 5k armor, which is equal to 500 all resist. I know there are skills to buff resist, but those are base on int, not all resist affix on gear pieces. That's why I am doubting if armor affix on gears can compare with all resist affix after taking Frightening Aspect into the account.
Reply Quote
Hitting 5k armor is a goal of mine,but not at the expense of AR and DPS. I've been keeping an eye on new VW's with a str roll, but I might focus on new crafted gloves and an ammy, instead, and hope for an armor roll.
Reply Quote
I thought I'd comment on something here that was only tangentially mentioned in a few posts, but it need be clarifying.

Hypothetically, lets say your damage reduction goes from 80% to 85%, via various means. It may seem that you're only taking 5% less damage, and as a whole, that's true, but before you received that gain, you were only taking 20% of the damage dealt.

The resulting DR gains reduced one's damage by 25%, not 5%. In the case of Horrify, the armor gains can be fairly substantial, given that understanding. If I change none of my other stats, horrify reduces damage taken by around 64%.

While I'm far too lazy to compare what the damage difference between say, plus or minus 1000 armor, it shouldn't be to hard to calculate to those interested.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]