Diablo® III

Tales from my Exile

Stay awhile and listen. I have a few things I would like to share with you all from my time spent away from Diablo III, some of which was spent playing Path of Exile. Those of you who don't care for the game can stop reading here and now, but if you are skeptical, on the fence, or are just curious, I hope you take something useful from this thread.

A note before I begin: I love Diablo. I didn't get a chance to play I and II during their heydays, but I have since gone back and played them through. Even without the overwhelming player base, I was still able to experience Diablo the way it was meant to be played. I am writing this for two major reasons, one of which is in all likelihood completely futile, and the other is hopefully slightly less futile. They are, respectively, to encourage Blizzard to humble themselves and adapt some of Path of Exile's mechanics in order to fix what is broken, and to discourage future idiocy on these forums regarding Path of Exile. I don't mean to sound crass, but some players in this community are so ignorant and childish it makes my head spin.

With that out of the way, I'll begin. I have seen two major complaints from people in regards to Path of Exile. The "graphics" and the slow and clunky game play. I will address each topic independently. As far as the graphics are concerned, I'll share a quick bit of my personal gaming history with you. My brother (admittedly a much more avid gamer than myself) always chides me for not giving games a chance if the graphics do not impress me. I simply refused to play them. It took me a long time to get over the graphics of Diablo I and II when I went back to play them, after having been spoiled by Diablo III. After having given Path of Exile a chance, I am now prepared to sacrifice some visual quality to get an improved gaming experience, overall.

Not only did I find that within 20-30 minutes of game play I was no longer bothered by the graphics, but I also discovered that Path of Exile's graphics offer something that Diablo III cannot, and never will be able to, deliver. The textures in Path of Exile are dark, they are gritty, they actually fit within the schema of the world. Wraeclast (the equivalent of Sanctuary in Path of Exile) is a dark and gritty world, as Sanctuary is. In Diablo III, there is an enormous disconnect between the style, not the quality, but the style of textures and the overarching themes of the game world. You only have to make it to the Fields of Misery in Diablo III to feel this disconnect, and it may even hit some people before then. When you contrast the aptly referred to "cartoony" graphics of Diablo III, with the gritty and dark graphics of Path of Exile, you simply cannot claim that Diablo III wins out in that category. However, in terms of quality, Diablo III is crisper, more refined, and definitely more pleasant to look at.

This brings me to the game play. Players who have reached even level 15 or so in Path of Exile can tell you that the game starts ramping up in speed very quickly. It is an admittedly very slow and clunky start. Your character's animations will feel like super slow motion when compared to the Diablo III starting point. This simply has to do with the approach both developers took when designing the feel of a hero in an ARPG. In my opinion, and you are entitled to your own, a character in an ARPG should start out slow and completely underwhelming, eventually growing into a powerful force. While that does happen in Diablo III, the character development arc is just much less drastic. You start off steamrolling and continue to improve your efficiency of steamrolling as you progress. In Path of Exile, you start off fumbling around and occasionally missing your targets and only reach steamrolling efficiency after many hours of play. An investment of time; one that is akin to what we expect from an RPG.

That brings me to my next point. Path of Exile brings us back to what an RPG, and more specifically, an ARPG actually is. Diablo certainly has the action aspect nailed. It is fun if you play it solely for that purpose, but other action games do it much better, albeit in different genres. In Path of Exile, we are given back our choices. Real choices that aren't just "which set of abilities do I want to put on my bar?" These choices are far more permanent and bind us to our characters, which is what RPGs are all about. The Passive Tree is everything you could hope for, and those of you who played Final Fantasy X will be pleasantly reminded of the times you had in that game. The amount of choices and customization alone have kept me theory crafting and entertained since I first installed the game. I won't go into details for brevity's sake, but you owe yourself the opportunity of making yourself your own unique build and giving it a try. It is free, after all.

You already know the praises that people have sung about the itemization and customization choices in Path of Exile; I won't go into them here. I will admit that the story was lackluster and I felt like I had to engage it rather than it engage me, which is not how I personally like to immerse myself in a game. So if the storyline is crucial for your enjoyment, I actually would encourage you to stay away from Path of Exile, despite the fact that everyone has experienced the Diablo III story already and there isn't too much to be said about it.

All said and done, I haven't logged in to Diablo III since Path of Exile's Open Beta launched, and I sadly regret to say that I have no plans on doing so. I was hopeful that the Q&A would have some answers for the community on the core issues of the game, but we all saw what the developers had to say; it was clearly meaningless PR fodder that really answered none of the burning questions this community has been asking since launch.

While I love the game that GGG has made, and as much as I want them to succeed, I want even more for Blizzard to fix Diablo III and make it what it was supposed to be. I have been playing Blizzard games since Warcraft II (not sure how I missed Diablo back then, but oh well), and I love this company. I played World of Warcraft on and off for nearly seven years. I bought Diablo III the day it launched and played right up until I played Path of Exile and it opened my eyes. There is so much to take from what this game has brought, and brought back, to the ARPG genre and Blizzard would do well to revisit their design philosophy with some of the GGG concepts in mind. I want to come back to Diablo more than anything, but I can't abide it in its current iteration after having been exposed to Path of Exile.

So, again, I am not trying to discourage people from enjoying Diablo III as I have, nor am I trying to pull you away from Diablo III in favor of Path of Exile. I am just hoping that things can change for the better for Diablo III, and I don't see that happening with the current design philosophy. Path of Exile may have followed in Diablo II's footsteps, but it will pave the way for future ARPGs for years to come. I encourage you all to at least see for yourselves before making a judgment based on hype, opinions of myself or others, or youtube videos (which, believe me, do not do an ounce of justice to the game itself).

Happy hunting to those of you who are still hunting,
Animus
Edited by Animus#1327 on 2/12/2013 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
TLDR

I'm just going to assume this was yet another "POE is great" threads and add you to ignore.
Reply Quote
The Diablo 3 forums are not exactly the appropriate place to glowingly praise other games. Try the PoE forums, I'm here to read about Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
TLDR

I'm just going to assume this was yet another "POE is great" threads and add you to ignore.

And you'd be wrong. While I do think it is great, that is really not the purpose of this thread.
Reply Quote
@ op 100% agree

we 'll wait till the expension ...perhaps good news for diablo3 ...
Edited by MaoUs#2639 on 2/12/2013 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
TLDR

What of it I skimmed through did have a lot of hyped babble.....

"The textures are so much more gritty and dark than D3's cartoony graphics." Uh huh...never heard that before.

"RPGs are all about permanent choices!" Even though there's stuff you can get to respec. Yup, permanent.

Honestly, nothing I haven't read before from every other poster who's so in love with their new darling.

Won't last. Diablo 3 has longevity, a legacy to uphold, and the developers with the dedication to improve it. Path of Exile, seriously, is going to get a ton of tweaks...nothing to mess with game mechanics or skills or class balance or overall approach, mainly because GGG is happy putting out a game with substandard graphics, a ton of hype, and skill systems yanked right out of Final Fantasy 7 and 10, but with a "Diablo" spin on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate PoE, I've played it, I'll probably play it some more. I just don't like it nearly as much as D3.
Reply Quote
Textures are gritty, so no surprise they look like trash.
Reply Quote
TLDR

What of it I skimmed through did have a lot of hyped babble.....

"The textures are so much more gritty and dark than D3's cartoony graphics." Uh huh...never heard that before.

"RPGs are all about permanent choices!" Even though there's stuff you can get to respec. Yup, permanent.

Honestly, nothing I haven't read before from every other poster who's so in love with their new darling.

Won't last. Diablo 3 has longevity, a legacy to uphold, and the developers with the dedication to improve it. Path of Exile, seriously, is going to get a ton of tweaks...nothing to mess with game mechanics or skills or class balance or overall approach, mainly because GGG is happy putting out a game with substandard graphics, a ton of hype, and skill systems yanked right out of Final Fantasy 7 and 10, but with a "Diablo" spin on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate PoE, I've played it, I'll probably play it some more. I just don't like it nearly as much as D3.

Please don't put quotations around statements that are not, in fact, quotations. You have doctored what I said to a degree that clouds the actual message of the sentiment. I won't argue with your opinions, but if you "skimmed" what I wrote, why are you bothering to make any opinions at all? Is your time so precious that you cannot read the entirety of the post? How did you manage to find the time to reply with that busy schedule of yours?
Reply Quote
Is your post available on Amazon?
Reply Quote
that's just it, isn't it. angry gamers are just louder than happy ones. the happy gamers spend all of their free time grinding and not posting on the b.net forums.

today has been crazy. i've been on a tech bridge conference call all day today to resolve a server performance issue and the hardware company sent out a tech to replace a controller card. he replaced the card and then after about 20-30 minutes he realizes that he replaced the wrong card.

i have no real interest in playing PoE. i already played d2 and i have fond memories of playing it. i've moved on, though.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 01:08 PMPosted by KhalARon
Is your post available on Amazon?

Amazon is a tough cookie to crack, let me tell you. I can email you a copy.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 01:08 PMPosted by melody!@#$%
that's just it, isn't it. angry gamers are just louder than happy ones. the happy gamers spend all of their free time grinding and not posting on the b.net forums.

While I don't disagree with you, anger is often confused with passion when it comes to these sorts of things. I would love to be playing right now, but I'm just not able to at the moment, so I figured I would post something that I wanted to say for some time.
Reply Quote

Won't last. Diablo 3 has longevity, a legacy to uphold, and the developers with the dedication to improve it.

lol D3 fanboys are hilarious.
Edited by LowBudget780#1245 on 2/12/2013 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
I remember rolling character after character in Diablo 2 and most of them I messed up by bad stat allocation. I eventually got better at it, but I was happy when they made it possible to reset your stats so you didn't waste countless hours only to learn you borked your character. I don't think they can actually make an RPG video game exactly like Dungeons and Dragons, even if it was called that.
Edited by bitterman#1939 on 2/12/2013 1:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Saga
Textures are gritty, so no surprise they look like trash.

Just like your characters bro, if you are going to try to defend a game, please at least be decent at it.

This really has nothing to do with anything, but a bump's a bump.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]