Diablo® III

Haunt, and Other Woes

As I'm sure some people have already noticed, Haunt just seems broken. I have yet to figure out a reliable way of countering it with any build change, and short of totally changing my gear, I don't think there is one yet. As I'm not a very geared player and can only play on MP0-1 so far for reliable exp, I've had to resort to hit and run tactics just to make a kill in Brawling. I don't have an issue with this, as that's just smart gameplay and encourages exploring different builds. The issue I have is when a spell that takes me from full to dead can be cast the moment I'm within view and there is no way of avoiding it short of staying out of line of sight 100% of the time.

Having a similar issue against DH with Hungering Arrow. Even with Slow Time, those arrows just don't give up, and before I know it there are like ten arrows tracking my location in slow time and just shoot me dead the second theyre out of the zone.

If anyone has thought of a practical way of countering these with Wizard skills, please contribute. Short of gearing up, I'd like to find a reliable way of standing on even ground with these players through skill.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Mugenko
Short of gearing up, I'd like to find a reliable way of standing on even ground with these players through skill.

Gear up. Sorry but a glass cannon wiz has no chance in duels.
Reply Quote
to tell you honestly, if you have been following forums during PTR.
PvP is terribly unbalanced

wait till you encounter Rend Barbs and Demon Hunters, the geared ones will eat you alive.

those who tested PvP during the PTR days already know what to expect.
Reply Quote
Mugenko... I spent several hours yesterday in pvp vs monk, dh, and barb. I play wiz and wd. with my wiz, monk owned me. DH, had slight advantage with smoke screen. i was doing very well against the barb.

what i found worked to counter the "auto target" or "heat seeking" skills was teleport with the decoy... it confused the monk double and also dh turrets and targetting. I was testing it out to see if it would help me break the stuns and roots that were being used against me.

I also changed one of my passive to unstable anamoly... and that worked pretty good against melee and also against the sneaky dh.

I also swapped in wave of force with the reduced cooldown rune. if people got to close, i could pop that off and kill everyone... pretty soon it became a race if the dh could pop smoke screen before i could do wave of force.

for my offensive attacks i used ray of frost with numb (it was really irking the barbs and monks due to the slow) and also magic missile, seeker (our own heat seeking missile).

hydras didn't really work early on... i tried orbs, galaxys, etc.

the electric hydra is pretty good... it never misses. I started using that to counter dh turrets... to funnel my prey into certain paths. too bad wizs couldnt be invis !

happy hunting and have fun.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Josef
Gear up. Sorry but a glass cannon wiz has no chance in duels.

EHP > Dps. I can't speak on the part of a Wiz. First you will have to work on EHP and life with some gear. Change tactics. You have to have CC reduction. Life regen also. for when you line of sight your opponents.

I have 34% CC reduction. and today I just crafted a beautiful vit ammy with crit dmg, 10%cc 200+vit. and bam. 12% more CC reduction. bringing me to 46%. Gear like this is important in PvP. I am full life regen. So I just get out off CC full regen. then set up my opponent for the kill.
Reply Quote
to tell you honestly, if you have been following forums during PTR.
PvP is terribly unbalanced

wait till you encounter Rend Barbs and Demon Hunters, the geared ones will eat you alive.

those who tested PvP during the PTR days already know what to expect.

Yeah, I know what to expect. The meta-game is currently DoT attacks as they cannot be dodged or blocked. They include: Rend, Haunt, Impale - Chemical Burn (you can dodge the knife, not the burn), Exploding Palm. The other effective attacks are high burst damage attacks like: Hammer of the Ancients, Seven Sided Strike, Wave of Light, Cluster Arrow, Impale, etc. In regards to defense, you need more EHP than when dealing with other game content. Stick to armor, all resist, life, and dodge.
Reply Quote
DH is tricky. I dueled a decent dh. Im having 474k ehp. With diamond shell on DH can kill u in 2 shots if he hits you. (2 cluster - loaded for bear with SS). I figured out how to deal with it. As you see the DH immediately use hydra in top of her and teleport away (wormhole). He will shoot 2 clusters in the nothing, now you have a 10 sec chance to kill him, until hatred regenerates.

About hungering: you can avoid it, it is auto targeting, but just if you are close to the arrow. Just los avoid it. Use mirror image. Dh is tricky, but it can be beaten, if you figure aot the playstyle of your opponent.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]