Diablo® III

The 3 reasons Marquis gems are not worth it

I was excited about the Marquis gems this patch. I was looking forward to upgrading my 9 gems. Alas, after upgrading a couple I realized they were not worth it. Here's why.

1.) You lose your liquid assets
You are basically spending 100 million gold to craft an item that is worth 0 gold. It's worth 0 gold because you can't sell it or trade it.

A key principle of improving gear is that each piece is an investment because it maintains a market value. When you find a better piece of gear, you can buy it and sell your old one for maybe even a profit. Through this process, you are incrementally building your net worth and improving your stats. Marquis gems undermine this principle and create a dead-end in your net worth via gems because they cannot become part of the market.

2.) The gains are microscopic
I upgraded two of my emeralds in my weapons and my amethyst in my helm. The total gain was about 8K DPS (from 251K -> 259K) for my weapons. The amethyst in my helm increased my life from 18% -> 19%, about a ~1.5K gain in hitpoints.

Is 8K DPS worth trading in 200 million gold?

Also, if I was to ugprade all of my Radiant Star Emeralds (6) in my armor to Marquis, it would cost me roughly 500 million gold. The gain? 24 dexterity. Lol.

3.) They're not easily swappable
Once you socket it, it costs 5 million gold to take it out. A common thing to do is to switch between gems depending on what you're doing (Ubers, DPS output, XP farming, etc). This becomes impractical and unreasonable.

--

At the end of the day, the cost-benefit analysis does not pan out. The only way I can think of to make these gems worthwhile are the following changes:

1.) Make them sellable
Let the gems enter the market - this way we can continue to build our net worths. I doubt Blizzard will do this.

2.) Improve the gains significantly
Make it worth the sacrifice. I would happily give up the 100M gold if I knew that it was giving me a legendary gem. A gem that would increase my critical hit chance by another 20-30% or my Life by an extra 4%, and not just an extra 1%.

3.) Reduce the cost of unsocketing
Make them more flexible. Don't penalize me now that I've already invested 100M into a gem that barely improves my stats. The increase in the cost to unsocket should be directly correlated to the increase in stats that the gem provides.

For example, the 1% increase the Amethyst gives does not warrant a 4.9 million gold increase in the cost to unsocket. Make the price scale with the gains accordingly. Maybe from 6K -> 10K.
Reply Quote
Hmm.... very good point!
Reply Quote
1 reason marquis gems are worth it: PvP
Reply Quote
The marquise gem is only most suitable to the rich player who ready to socket the gem into the end-game items.

Otherwise...I rather use the gold invest on other much more valuable and affordable item.
Reply Quote
Seriously the marquis gem is a joke. 20 million to craft each plus additional 3x Radiants and the result you get is +4 additional str/int/dex?? Furthermore if you wished to unsocket it, then it cost a tonne. Is this really a joke Blizz? For these amount of gold (20 million), it should be reasonable at least a +4 main stats, +4 crit chance, +5 crit damage. Then it justify the worthiness of marquis crafting.
Reply Quote
Absolutely!
Reply Quote
agree.. 20million for 4 dex is crap... i rather spend 20m crafting amulets and gloves..
Reply Quote
What's not to realize here?

If you have a 1m budget, don't craft Radiant Squares

If you have a 30m budget, don't craft Flawless Stars (at least not for armor)

...you see a trend?

It's not worth it because you're poor (I'm in this boat as well)

The Marquise Gems are designed as a gem sink... this makes lower lvl gems more valuable for the less than rich guys like myself. Allowing you to trade them would completely defeat the purpose
Reply Quote
^^^^^ Just read that and try to understand, only the very rich or very serious players will go for them.
Reply Quote
I just do not see the benefit but I said the same thing about rad gems, until I got all mine for like 6m each, during the great AH crash of 2012.

But for 4 more stat points or 10% more CD, I just don't see the 20m and on top of that you lose 90m in gems in the process. Just does not seem worth it to me. Maybe if you could sell the gems and be worth 60m.

Maybe they could make a mystery craft for gems, you craft it and you don't know what color or what level a gem you can get, and make those BoA
Reply Quote
its for the rich.. if u are able to craft all to Mars gem u wont be asking if they are worth it or not.. coz u are going for perfection
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 09:24 PMPosted by ShaoQuan
1 reason marquis gems are worth it: PvP

Your argument is invalid.
Reply Quote
What's not to realize here?

If you have a 1m budget, don't craft Radiant Squares

If you have a 30m budget, don't craft Flawless Stars (at least not for armor)

...you see a trend?

It's not worth it because you're poor (I'm in this boat as well)

The Marquise Gems are designed as a gem sink... this makes lower lvl gems more valuable for the less than rich guys like myself. Allowing you to trade them would completely defeat the purpose

I agree that the gem sink and I hope it will sink even deeper so that everyone can; Play and enjoy; not ;Play and spend.
Reply Quote
They are for the people with billions of gold out there to get rid of some of the gold and gems on the market. It needs to be done. They aren't there for the average player.
Reply Quote
I don't know if any of you remember when the game first came out that gems used to cost about 10x the amount they are now. a gem you can craft now for 100g used to be 100,000g. Now I hope they don't drop the price on Marquis gems that significantly, but when no one is upgrading to them I think they will drop in crafting price.

Like others have said they are for the rich, and I think right now they make more a statement than are helpful stat wise.

I would agree with you that they should add alot more than just the single digit stats for the price cost
Reply Quote
The cost to make a marquise gem SHOULD be about 2-4 million. Here's why: If you add up the cost to make all the gems they come out to a little more than 3 times the cost of making the gem 1 level below (which makes sense, since you're combining 3 gems to make the next level gem), except for the Marquise gem, which costs MORE than 4 times the amount of the previous gem. Take a look below.

Radiant Square = 140k to make
Star = 500k (a little more than 3 times the cost of radiant square)
Flawless Star = 1.6 mill (a little more than 3 times cost of star)
Perfect Star = 5 mill (a little more than 3 times cost of flawless star)
Radiant Star = 16 mill (a little more than 3 times the cost of perfect star)
Marquise = Well it should be about 50-52 million, but instead it costs 68!

The math is below:

TO CRAFT:
1 radiant square = 3 perfect squares = 30k (to make the perfect square) + 30k +30k + 50k (to craft radiant square) = 140k
1 star = 3 radiant squares = 140k (the cost of previously made radiant square) + 140k + 140k + 80k (to craft star) = 500k
1 flawless star = 3 stars = 500k (the cost of previously made radiant square) + 500k + 500k + 100k (to craft flawless star) = 1.6 mill
1 perfect star = 3 flawless stars = 1.6 mill (cost of previously made flawless star) + 1.6 mill + 1.6 mill + 200k (to craft perfect star) = 5 mill
1 radiant star = 3 perfect stars = 5 mill (cost of previously made perfect star) + 5 mill + 5 mill + 1 mill (to craft radiant star) = 16 mill
1 marquise = 3 radiant stars = 16 mill (cost of previously made radiant star) + 16 mill + 16 mill + 20 mill (to make marquise) = 68 mill
Reply Quote
There are three reasons people make marquis gems:

1) 80m for 10 crit on a weapon is really cheap if your weapon is hundreds of millions or billions of gold
2) there are no more readily available upgrades, or those upgrades cost > 80m / 4 primary.

Keep in mind that the marginal cost of a marquis is 2 radiants + 20m, since you would have had a radiant in the slot before.
Reply Quote
Blizzard has designed Marquis gems to be a gold sink . Unless there are gold sinks, i.e., other ways to invest (or consume) massive quantities of gold, the price of all useful legendary items on the AH will continue to inflate into the 100s of millions over time (or peak out at $2B gold,)

The new account-bound craftable rares are designed for the same reason. If people begin investing enough gold into account-bound craftable rares and Marquis Gems then the AH price of uber-elite legendaries must inevitably start to drift downward.

Basically, Blizzard is forcing D3 players to make choices about how they wish to spend their gold - rather than just automatically taking the default options and spending all of their gold in the AH. You still have the option to spend $500M+ to get near-perfect stats on a particular item -but just realize that you may be inserting radiant star gems into the open slots on that item while other players are inserting Marquis gems into their items.

Expect to see more such gold sinks get introduced into the game future patches. This is not inherently bad -it simply gives us more options than we previously had about how to spend our gold.
Edited by Bounce#1629 on 3/4/2013 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
I believe they are trying to get rich players to spend gold and make it worth something, they have failed with gold in d2 and d3 now.
Reply Quote
It's worth it for the weapons, especially the ruby. I wouldn't bother with them anywhere else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]