Diablo® III

[Ancient Passives] - The Lord of the Monks

I like to read community skill research as it is often very informative. Unfortunately I was not able to wade through the delusional, grandiose, self inflated, narcissistic rantings that saturate and completely blot out the useful information that could be found in the OP.

He also has a thread on the Monk forums that I only used for its links to posts that were actually written to help others not obtain some sort of satisfaction from creating grandiose works that are 80% useless fluff and latent self promotion.

I took a lot of Philosophy and Psychology courses before I changed my major, so I have read the works of the truly "enlightened" (if you even believe in such a concept) and great thinkers from East, West, Ancient, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Modern, etc..... The OP is neither "enlightened", nor it will reach its desired effect with the audience its supposedly intended for because of the way it is packaged.... The Devs are real people with real lifes, they dont have time to read through 10,000 lines of bloviating trash to get feedback and suggestions from 1 person.

I am downvoting this thread, and I advise others to do the same.
Reply Quote
What in the heavens f*ck is this
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 11:36 PMPosted by manvan
Good lord. And all I thought I had to do was mash two buttons.

+1
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 11:41 AMPosted by NihilVerum
Ever got the feeling you accidentally walked into a self-help group for people suffering from severe autism?

Yeah... I was kinda thinking the same thing. Ideas are OK, but the writing style is impenetrable.

Bottom line: getting to the point helps.
Reply Quote
I really like the idea of your "Sixth Sense", but let me take it to a different level.

"Your dodge chance is increased to 30% of your critical hit chance. Dodging has a chance to increase your critical hit chance by 3% for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times."

That would be awesome.

I have an amazing dodge spec that would love to see that change haha.
Reply Quote
[edited]
Edited by CountFury#1192 on 3/6/2013 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
My Grandma always said, that "only simpletons, fear intricacy", while I like the saying that "the simple road os often the least taken...."

Both have merit, and neither is right or wrong.....

True genius are seldom seen, by those who have never had an insight to their own shortcomings.

Anyways, enough of that. You sound like you come from a german speaking country, no? All german speaking persons I know, love a cold beer! So if you ever drop by Denmark by accident (shouldn't be that far fetched if you are from Germany) let me serve a cold one for you, thats the least I can do, for an amusing read :))
Reply Quote
Thanks KingD >:)
I hail from California, but if I ever travel there,
I'll be sure to come drink with a Viking brotha' >:D

And in the End of Daze, we will all drink with the gods in the halls of Valhalla. >:)
Reply Quote
wow, did not know you have this talent
great work, man
Reply Quote
I can't believe that I spent the last hour reading through this line by line, word by word. And the suggestions are brilliant, especially the balance between buff & nerf on almost every passive.

9.5/10
Reply Quote
For sixth sense i'd love to see on successful dodge, chance to spawn a random mystic ally that lasts for 6 seconds to a maximum of 5 active ally's.
Edited by nWc#1366 on 3/5/2013 11:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 09:58 PMPosted by m1kest4r
Compare the descriptions for these new passives with all the other classes. Few of all the other classes are this complex. Diablo 3 has been about streamlining and simplicity and these solutions go against the design philosophy.

I'm actually taking some time to get to know the other classes as well. Well the WD is my favored at the moment and while unlocking his pasives tree, i had the following thoughts : 'oh, this skill hepls you survive, nice","oh, this one gives you extra damage in certain circumstances","oh, if I use these specific skills I get a bonus on whatever"... On the other hand with the monk all we get is blatantly raw passives that don't scale with a few minor exceptions. (only OWE is great and nothing else is big enough).

I would love some complexity on our passives and a way to bind one to another; I mean gain resource regen, damage and main stat improvement with just one passive? Come on...

With the monk if you don't use STI/OWE it gets very situational since our only way of dealing damage is front row table. I really tried Hand of Ytar, a really amazing skill, but it doesn't provide breaks in frantic battles or does it have enough aoe to exceed wave of light.

All and all these passives overhaul is very much anticipated by me and I bump to infinity for these changes!

I'M TIRED OF USING THE SAME PASSIVES FOR EVERYWAY I WANT TO PLAY MY MONK. I DON'T WANT TO BE EFFICIENT, I WANT TO HAVE FUN DISCOVERING AND TRYING NEW THINGS ALONG THE WAY AND FEEL THE MONK LORE!
Also, I CAN'T STAND THE FACT THAT BARBS ATTACK FASTER THAN MONKS (through skills alone).
Reply Quote
I love how you combine/ attempt to change passive on the sense that you apply a buff but there's always a nerf (darkside) that you have to deal with.

TBH,

i'm interested in using your version of six sense, nde, and exalted soul... :)

Great work!
Reply Quote
I appreciate the effort and all the thought you put into these ideas ... but I can't help but feel like Blizzard would never use half of these ideas. Any passive that has a negative effect is basically immediately out. Look at the current passives - how many of them have negative effects?

Barb: 0
DH: 0
Monk: 0
WD: 1 (PtV)
Wiz: 1 (GC)

Passives with negative effects are the exception, not the norm. Your suggestions for skills like Trans (LS cut in half is far too harsh), StI (Blizz will never make skills like this), CoR (I doubt they'd go for the LpS deficit alone, nevermind losing 30% of your life on second activation?), OwE (immobilizing players is not "fun" and Blizz would never do this), and Crimson Seal (really? 20% more damage?) would never fly.

Further, while your suggestions for NdE (or Aura of the Dead) sounds really cool, you can't put a whole paragraph on a passive. There is far too much going on in this skill.

Finally, I think some of your suggestions for skills like Sixth Sense, Resolve, and Combo Strike sound cool but are kind of confusing. Combo Strike I think I understand - you are resetting the damage buff if you use that attack continuously so as to force the player to switch back and force?

The Sixth Sense ... I don't get it. My crit rises and my armor decreases every time I dodge ... but when I take damage it resets? I understand you can dodge multiple attacks in a row, but it seems like this would be resetting almost instantly.

Resolve ... I don't get it. All damage is reduced for 2 seconds. But it can't occur more than twice every 2 seconds? What? And while the damage reduc is on cooldown, you gain damage ... but when would the damage reduc ever be on cooldown?

---
And you know my thoughts on your writing style. I think you have good ideas and you clearly put a lot of thought and effort into conveying them ... but you get way too bogged down in your delivery, making it hard to read through your ideas.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Piffle
The Sixth Sense ... I don't get it. My crit rises and my armor decreases every time I dodge ... but when I take damage it resets? I understand you can dodge multiple attacks in a row, but it seems like this would be resetting almost instantly.

Well, six sense give you dodge, so you can dodge a lot better. if you have the six sense of knowing when you will get hit, you have 1 second to unleash a series of critical strikes at the enemy!! This will be a very fun mechanic!

03/06/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Piffle
Resolve ... I don't get it. All damage is reduced for 2 seconds. But it can't occur more than twice every 2 seconds? What? And while the damage reduc is on cooldown, you gain damage ... but when would the damage reduc ever be on cooldown?

It sounds like it's gonna be working like this +dmg, -dmg, +dmg, -dmg, so on. To put that to use, spam your spirit spenders during your +dmg stage, and generate spirit during the -dmg stage.

So if you attack continuously on a single target, you will enter a stage where every two seconds you will be reducing enemy damage, and alternating with dealing more damage.

Am I correct?
Reply Quote
Great job Count i love all the changes to the passives, the idea of give and take makes a ton of sense as a Monk. Some give up speaking to become more enlightened. I'd be happy to see any of these passives get put into the game.

If all your ideas in this thread were put into the game i think you'd have a very hard time finding two Monks who use the exact same skill build or gear.

You could actually base your gear on a skill set, rather then just a TR set and a DW set.

I really hope the Devs take a look a this

A+++++++++++++++
Reply Quote
Passives:

Guiding Light

Allies under the effect of a mantra have damage increased by 16%.

Thoughts. If I could change one Passive it would be Guiding Light. I feel like it is the easiest one to change to give monks another decent damage passive. The heal mechanic is not very good and with only 3 skills that can activate it it's not worth it. Changing this to any ally under the effect of a mantra makes it a straight up good passive. This should also work for hirelings, mystic allies, and summoned creatures (item or other players), This would promote mantras other than Mantra of Conviction. This would be desired for party play. The only thing would be it would then out perform Combo strike (if it didn't get changed) in most situations. Combo Strike would require 1 of 2 attacks to be Deadly Reach: Foresight or require 3 spirit generation attacks to be better than the proposed changed. Though if I could change all the passives I wanted I would modify Combo strike to work with all attacks (SSS, Cyclone, Dash, Exploding Palm, LTK, WoL, and any I might have missed).

Fleet Footed:
10% movement speed, Increased Lashing Tail kick damage by 10%, reduces spirit cost of Lashing Tail Kick to 10

Thoughts: I think it would be interesting if Fleet Footed did something with LTK.

Pacifism:
Adds Regen 1% of max life when outside of combat.

Thoughts: DH used to have something like that but I think the out of combat part was removed. Anyway I feel like that could be a nice little buff to it.

Guardian's Path
While using a shield you gain 10% additional block chance and 50% additional block value and 6% improved attack speed.

Combo Strike
Changed to now work with Exploding Palm, LTK, WoL, dashing strike, and SSS.

Also see this for ideas: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6572270425?page=1
Reply Quote
No! No... Lord Raahl giveth, and Count Fury taketh away...
Reply Quote
I appreciate the effort and all the thought you put into these ideas ... but I can't help but feel like Blizzard would never use half of these ideas. Any passive that has a negative effect is basically immediately out. Look at the current passives - how many of them have negative effects?Barb: 0DH: 0Monk: 0WD: 1 (PtV)Wiz: 1 (GC)Passives with negative effects are the exception, not the norm. Your suggestions for skills like Trans (LS cut in half is far too harsh), StI (Blizz will never make skills like this), CoR (I doubt they'd go for the LpS deficit alone, nevermind losing 30% of your life on second activation?), OwE (immobilizing players is not "fun" and Blizz would never do this), and Crimson Seal (really? 20% more damage?) would never fly.

I agree with all this--from appreciating the effort involved, to thinking most of this won't fly for the reasons stated--but I think a lot of these "gain on one hand, lose on another" effects might be great on some legendary items.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]