Diablo® III

yet another 12 hours maintenance

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7923693132

So services will go down for another 12 hours or so tomorow

Not gonna start flaming again, but will a blue ever explain to us users why it takes so long and what they're fixing during those long downtimes rather than letting people rage over the forum ?

I, and I think I'm not the only one, would really like to understand. Been gaming online since the first Doom back in the mid-90's and I've never experienced that with any other game

Thank you
Reply Quote
The maintenance is for the SC2 patch...

Now, why are the three games so woven into each other server side (costs...) that when one of them has a major update they are all taken offline, I have no clue (cost...)

It is annoying for those of you who have Tuesdays off though, i do not envy you one bit.
Reply Quote
This is what happens when you have an online-only game.

So until 4pm EST the game will be down... seriously, wtf.

Why not break it into two 6 hours downtimes? And do it from like 2-8am each time... Its not like the game won't work. Stupid.
Reply Quote
How much money does Blizzard save on server-cost/bandwidth with half a day of downtime?

I wouldn't put it past Bobby Kotick/Activision/Blizzard to really draw out 'maintenance' in order to save a few bucks on monthly server costs.
Edited by PartyAnimal#1845 on 2/18/2013 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is what happens when you have an online-only game.

So until 4pm EST the game will be down... seriously, wtf.

Why not break it into two 6 hours downtimes? And do it from like 2-8am each time... Its not like the game won't work. Stupid.

Why not 6 one hour downtimes.. or even better, 12 half hour downtimes... I know, 24 fifteen minute down times would do it, one every hour.... You should work in IT with ideas like this. Excellent suggestion.
Reply Quote
How much money does Blizzard save on server-cost/bandwidth with half a day of downtime?

I wouldn't put it past Bobby Kotick to have extra-long downtime in order to cut down on monthly server costs.

Another genius... yes, they should shut down the servers for good, that would save them tons on electricity. (rolls eyes)
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Lykotic
It is annoying for those of you who have Tuesdays off though, i do not envy you one bit.

Tuesday is one of my two days off each week...and I live on the East Coast.

Tuesdays *shakes fist*
Reply Quote
When you have millions of users on your servers everyday, that's expensive bandwidth costs.

There's estimations that it cost Google a half a billion dollars/year to keep youtube up.

If you are going to shut down the servers for an hour or two for maintenance, why not drag it out another 10 hours and save? I'm sure it adds up over the course of a year.

I seriously wouldn't put it past bobby kotick/activision.
Edited by PartyAnimal#1845 on 2/18/2013 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blizz is last dev out there who needs weekly 8+ hour maintances; every other online type game is usually 2 hours max and in some cases less than 15 mins with no data losses nor other types of problems. So can any expert here enlighten me why it takes Blizz so long compared to the others? I just picture them flicking a switch, going out to the beach for 8 hours and then come back and turn it all back on kinda deal.
Reply Quote
are they patching anything?
Reply Quote
When you have millions of users on your servers everyday, that's expensive bandwidth costs.

There's estimations that it cost Google a half a billion dollars/year to keep youtube up.

If you are going to shut down the servers for an hour or two for maintenance, why not drag it out another 10 hours and save? I'm sure it adds up over the course of a year.

I seriously wouldn't put it past bobby kotick/activision.

Using your warped logic, Walmart spends billions every year on lighting stores, so if they close the stores a couple days a week, they'd save a fortune.... Right??
Reply Quote
Most newer Wal-mart's have sun roofs and lighting that turns on accordingly.

Blizzard really needs to get even patch days to 2 hours maximum down time. They have no excuses for the unbelievably long down times they must have complete idiots working for them. Send the servers to China and save costs.
Reply Quote
Sc patch is huge but then it sux when other game affect this game
Totally dont make sense, why we need to maintain when not our game upgrading
Reply Quote
12 hours. Lol. I'm not even sure if I really care at this point. Game's kinda boring anyway...
Reply Quote
Most newer Wal-mart's have sun roofs and lighting that turns on accordingly.

Blizzard really needs to get even patch days to 2 hours maximum down time. They have no excuses for the unbelievably long down times they must have complete idiots working for them. Send the servers to China and save costs.

Please explain in detail how you would reduce the time to 2 hours. What exactly would you do different from the 'idiots'? Be specific.

02/18/2013 06:54 PMPosted by TopStock
Using your warped logic, Walmart spends billions every year on lighting stores, so if they close the stores a couple days a week, they'd save a fortune.... Right??

not the same.. Blizz already go their D3 money, they can shut if down completely

They can, but why would they? It's exactly the same.. You need to spend money to make money. With any business, there is cost involved. You can't just cut off your supply, and stop all your costs and continue to make money. That's not how the real world works.
Edited by pixelrage#1391 on 2/18/2013 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
They have the resources to make it happen, no doubt in my mind that idiots are working at blizzard. Do you work there stop crying like a fan boy. SC2 is a different game. Should be on a different server regardless of costs. No need for this unless Blizzard is doing work with their ISP or hub and actual technicians are coming out. I was in the military so i guess i have high standards when it comes to people and getting things done.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]