Diablo® III

Diablo 2 builds I remember

Sorceress: Frozen Orb, Fire Wall, Meteor, Blizzard, Glacial Spike, Nova, Chain Lightning, T-storm

Barbarian: Whirlwind, Frenzy, Throwing Weapons Specialty, Leap/Bash for PvP, All built around a particular Weapon specialty (Always needed that 1 point in Berserk for Physical Immunes XD )

Paladin: Zeal, Charge, FoH, Conviction/Vengeance, Blessed Hammer, Smite, Sacrifice, and various Aura combinations with these

Amazon: Guided Arrow, The forever bugged Fend with D/A/E (Wasn't even fixed in 1.13), Multishot, Various Javelin/Bow hybrid builds.Lightning Fury, and most recently Charged Strike

Necromancer: IM / Blood Golem / Corpse Explosion with 1 point in all summons for cannon fodder,
All points into summons and masteries with 1 point in Amplify Damage, Bone Spirit, Bone Spear, Poison Nova,

What happened? :(

I try to create my own builds like I'm encouraged to do and get squashed in Inferno.
Reply Quote
Trapsin.

The deadly WW Sin.

Sigh, the good 'ole days.
Reply Quote
You may also want to remember the difficulty level could be easily equated to D3's current mp0-1, where anything you can think about can work.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
You may also want to remember the difficulty level could be easily equated to D3's current mp0-1, where anything you can think about can work.
Reply Quote
Hammerdin bots, hammerdin bots, hammerdin bots.

Trading with someone and getting scammed.

Amost all the enemies were fire immunes.

Every character having the same sprite.

Hammedin bots.

Yep, the good 'ole days.
Reply Quote
Hammerdin bots, hammerdin bots, hammerdin bots.

Amost all the enemies were fire immunes.

Every character having the same sprite.

Hammedin bots.

Yep, the good 'ole days.

Sorceress being gimped unless a good orb dropped.
Reply Quote

Yep, the good 'ole days.

yup got that done to me...back in teh day i dragged my stuff into the trade window only to find out i dropped it on the ground.....taught me a good lesson about ppl and ppl on the internets
Reply Quote
D3 builds i remember:

Monk:

Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap
Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash
Fists of Thunder - Static Charge
Fists of Thunder - Quickening
Fists of Thunder - Bouding Light
Deadly Reach - Piercing Trident
Deadly Reach - Keen Eye
Deadly Reach - Scattered Blows
Deadly Reach - Strike from Beyond
Deadly Reach - Foresight

Looks like D3 wins!
Reply Quote
D3 builds i remember:

Monk:

Deadly Reach - Keen Eye
Deadly Reach - Foresight

Looks like D3 wins!

wrong, 98% of monk have the same skill/rune ...
Reply Quote
D3 builds i remember:

Monk:

Deadly Reach - Keen Eye
Deadly Reach - Foresight

Looks like D3 wins!

wrong, 98% of monk have the same skill/rune ...

99% of paladins have the same skill.

Looks like D3 wins!
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 2/17/2013 9:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Besides that is 2 skills

Fists of Thunder
Deadly Reach

the D2 would have had four at a minimium built around them.
Reply Quote
I only remember about 2 builds per class in Diablo 2 with the occasional variant.

People deviated from those builds if they wanted to play something strictly inferior and non-competitive. Reminds me of Diablo 3 and every other ARPG actually.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

only if you played solo

I most frequently joined 8 player public games and solo'd which was actually difficult to farm efficiently. tomb vipers, stygian dolls and burning souls were powerful to deal with no matter how good your char was.
Reply Quote
rattlecage/tal armor scams. people paying high(ish) for a rattlecage to commit said scams.
Reply Quote
I have tried to think of a way to make a few of the Sorc D2 builds work on the D3 Wiz and the resource pool is the problem. I really liked the Fireball/Frozen Orb build, but obviously this cant happen, and another one I liked was Meteorb. This could work with enough APoC but it would have to be Meteor and Arcane Orb instead of Frozen Orb. A little bit of extra AP resource regen, extra max AP, and some reduction in AP to Meteor and Arcane Orb would be alright. A cold spell could be thrown in there for lockdown or snare. I am sure about anything will work on MP0 since the monsters are so weak, but the speed of CMWW or SNS probably is not there in high MP.
Reply Quote
I used to play conversion with paladin :(
Reply Quote
99% of paladins have the same skill.

Looks like D3 wins!

lol. Basically has nothing to support Diablo 3's builds.

Even if Diablo 2's builds were narrowed down to a few options, it's still more than this game. Another advantage that it had, which I think a lot of Diablo 3 defenders ignore, is that you actually felt like your were making your character unique. This can go a long way. At least you felt like you were making a decision! At least it felt like your character was unique! This game is simply... Who has more mainstat on their gear? Who has highest DPS?
Instead, what they did is said "This is bad!" and threw the skill tree and stat points out the window. Quote from Jay Wilson, "The main reason that we didn't do attribute spending was that it was not a very good customization system." He then went on to describe that for most builds in Diablo 2, the player all ready had a predefined set of stats they wanted for their build. "That's a $#*@! customization system." "There's a mathmatically right answer." "So we focus more on customization sustems that cater more to playsyle, that feel more like customization." On the point of removing skill points, he added that the main reason for not having skill points is because players would then consequently dump all of their points into one skill, when they should be using multiple viable skills.
Obviously Diablo 2 did have some flaws, but it was also an extremely succesful powerhouse. What they should have done with the attribute system is make it so there would be multiple mathmatical solutions. With skill points, they did try caps but they said it didn't work. This baffles me. It didn't work? How can you not make it so the player is using all of their skills but they choose to improve one or two? If the player wants to use only a few skills, then why not let them? Just make it so that not using all of your skills is overall detrimental. Just make a smaller cap.
If you play Diablo 2, it seemed like absolute common sense! That's exactly what a Diablo 2 sequel was supposed to do: improve on all of the aspects of Diablo 2! Give people what people wanted: more viable builds, more playstyles, not having to reroll your character. Diablo 3 accomplished one of those goals, while making the system even worse than before.
Through development, the absence of Blizzard North was apparent. If you played Diablo 2, it was apparent what would improve the game. I can't believe some of the decisions about this game. The current devs have NO IDEA what the community and their fan base wants, as is apparent by the latest Ask the Devs responses.
/bury-face-in-hands.
Anyway, Diablo 3 is not a bad game. It's just gone a totally different direction than its predececssor. : (

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]