Diablo® III

Diablo 2 builds I remember

Oh please give it up. At best in D2 you used 2 skills at the top end.

The most basic of sorcs using light - Light/Chain Light/Teleport/Frozen Armor/Telekineses/Static Field/Warmth (optional passive depending on gear)

My Necro - Raise Skelly+Mastery/Fire Golem+Mastery/Teleport/Amp Damage/Decrepify/Corpse Pop/Bone Spirit/Bone Armor/Raise Mage/Revive/Bone Spear

Hammerdin - Blessed Hammer/Conviction/Holy Bolt/Teleport/Redemption/Holy Shield/Vigor (Points in Resist Light)

If you were only using 2 skills you must have sucked.
In D3 you can't even use more then 6... which people have already stated is lame.
Reply Quote
View profile
D2 not limited to 6 skills, plus no cooldown to change skills.

Jay: we want to promote build diversity by adding a stupid 30 second cooldown...genius
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 12:31 PMPosted by Cerealkiller
Jay: we want to promote build diversity by adding a stupid 30 second cooldown

Yeah, screw that. I want my WD creepers build and a Barb Earthquake build. Screw cooldowns.

(EDIT: I do realize this is not quite what you were referring to. The point is still semi-related.)

Oh and here's my post from a while back of all my D2 builds:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593401410#1
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 2/17/2013 1:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
There was a long period of time where hammerdins didn't exist or were at the least, much more rare.
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 2/17/2013 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Utukka
There was a long period of time where hammerdins didn't exist or were at the least, much more rare.

Yeah, for much of the game in fact it was a joke of a skill that no sensible player would be caught dead using. Or rather they would be caught dead using it since it was woefully insufficient before being buffed in a later patch. It's amazing how much a lie is propagated when most of the people who spew it never played D2 in its prime.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 2/17/2013 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, screw that. I want my WD creepers build and a Barb Earthquake build. Screw cooldowns.(EDIT: I do realize this is not quite what you were referring to. The point is still semi-related.)Oh and here's my post from a while back of all my D2 builds:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593401410#1

So what keeps you from playing lots of characters in D3? In D2 you just had ONE ability and that was the build.

Just restart over and don't use the skills you previously used. Every character has 23+ abilities. That allows you for 4 playthroughs with different skillsets every time.

If you want the D2 feeling just use 2 abilities per character and you can get 12 playthroughs per character feeling different everytime...
Reply Quote
The build diversity in D2 came from the gear not the skill tree. The 1.10+ abomination was an even bigger example of how gear dependent builds were in D2.

The foundation of every single D2 build was the following:

STR - Just enough to equip your end game gear.
DEX - Enough to max out block rate
Energy - depends on buid.
HP - Everything else.

So much for diversity.
Reply Quote
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?734413-SPF-Mat-Pat-Guardian-Build-Compilation-v4

List of all builds ever created in D2.

There is no comparison between d2 and d3, they are comepletely different animals.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Dwelve
Yeah, screw that. I want my WD creepers build and a Barb Earthquake build. Screw cooldowns.(EDIT: I do realize this is not quite what you were referring to. The point is still semi-related.)Oh and here's my post from a while back of all my D2 builds:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593401410#1

So what keeps you from playing lots of characters in D3? In D2 you just had ONE ability and that was the build.

Just restart over and don't use the skills you previously used. Every character has 23+ abilities. That allows you for 4 playthroughs with different skillsets every time.

If you want the D2 feeling just use 2 abilities per character and you can get 12 playthroughs per character feeling different everytime...

Lulwat? My Necro's in D2 never had enough hotkeys to use all of the skills I wanted to use.

And I guess you failed to read... the first line of my post which expressly highlights that it is not possible to build around most skills in D3 because of cooldown restrictions. Congrats on reading comprehension...

The build diversity in D2 came from the gear not the skill tree. The 1.10+ abomination was an even bigger example of how gear dependent builds were in D2.

HP - Everything else.

So much for diversity.

You seem to have stats and skills confused. Have you played an ARPG before?
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 2/17/2013 1:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lulwat? My Necro's in D2 never had enough hotkeys to use all of the skills I wanted to use. And I guess you failed to read... the first line of my post which expressly highlights that it is not possible to build around most skills in D3 because of cooldown restrictions. Congrats on reading comprehension...

Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Dwelve
Lulwat? My Necro's in D2 never had enough hotkeys to use all of the skills I wanted to use. And I guess you failed to read... the first line of my post which expressly highlights that it is not possible to build around most skills in D3 because of cooldown restrictions. Congrats on reading comprehension...

Repeating yourself doesn't make your statement make any more sense than it did last time.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:35 PMPosted by steveman0
Repeating yourself doesn't make your statement make any more sense than it did last time.

It seems like you just won't undersstand. It's hard to talk with people that just won't understand :(((, but i will put it as simple as possible:

Diablo 3 has more builds than Diablo 2.

I hope that's easy enough!
Reply Quote

HP - Everything else.

So much for diversity.

Yeah you have it right, I remember having to restart a few lvl 85+ because of lag causing me to add a few points to energy. Which nobody ever needed to do... Ever. Those were the days.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Dwelve

It seems like you just won't undersstand. It's hard to talk with people that just won't understand :(((, but i will put it as simple as possible:

Look at my link above to the Mat/Pat build compilation the inc gamer community has... And make that statement again. I Dare you. You are wrong. WAYYYY wrong.
Reply Quote

Believing such a silly statement is proof that you haven't played D2 and are in no position to argue on the matter. What I don't understand is how anyone can have to gall to make such a statement out of complete ignorance on the subject.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 2/17/2013 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Dwelve

LMAO. No, it does not. A build needs to be viable in endgame to be count as an actual build. D3 has very very few.
Edited by kweagle#1932 on 2/17/2013 1:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'd like to hear what you have to say!
Reply Quote
Dwelve
View profile

Cooldowns, skills being purposely designed to outdo others, generators vs spenders. In D2, you could find +skills gear, use lower res wand on switch or other potential charges to increase a builds performance. In D3, you can't stack say magic missile to make it compete with Blizzard where in D2, you could stack Arctic Blast to compete with Hurricane.

Also, try to play a fire wizard in Diablo 3, you can't even use a fire skill until level 21.
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 2/17/2013 1:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dwelve
View profile

Cooldowns, skills being purposely designed to outdo others, generators vs spenders. In D2, you could find +skills gear, use lower res wand on switch or other potential charges to increase a builds performance. In D3, you can't stack say magic missile to make it compete with Blizzard where in D2, you could stack Arctic Blast to compete with Hurricane.

Also, try to play a fire wizard in Diablo 3, you can't even use a fire skill until level 21.

Precisely. I'd like to see anyone build a character using only long cooldown abilities or skipping the resource generators. There are so many restrictions on skill design/balance that many build options are eliminated right out of the gate. D2's flexibility enabled virtually any active skill to be viable given the proper investment.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 01:47 PMPosted by kweagle

LMAO. No, it does not. A build needs to be viable in endgame to be count as an actual build. D3 has very very few.

In that case D2 only has one build: Hammerdin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]