Diablo® III

Quit QQing - the AH is no different from D2 trading

I see a lot of crying on the forums that the AH has ruined D3, and that people wish things were more like D2.

I just got done reading some troll-ish fool's post about how Blizzard kicked his dog and ruined this game... or something:

-Off the get go, making it way too AH/RMAH reliant. Early launch, time was spent farming gold to use the money house instead of having the excitement of the item hunt itself.

Which was promptly followed by this statement:

-BOA gear/plans. After they mentioned they wouldn't have that in D3. This game was mean to be all about TRADING if not hunting for your own items. Remember that Blizz? You said it yourself.

This illustrates my point and it's time to put this stupid myth to bed.

Think back to the D2 economy... I know it was a long time ago, but hang with me.

We used things like SOJs (Stone of Jordan rings, for the uninitiated) and runes to trade because it was difficult to trade pieces of gear directly. We needed a way to monetize our transactions and make our assets (our items) more fluid. Instead of waiting for someone to want to trade their particular unique for your particular unique, we traded for SOJs and then turned those SOJs into the gear we wanted.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else? Kind of like gold in D3?

The AH just takes what we were already doing and opens it up to a larger pool of prospective buyers. It makes our item assets more fluid and reduces the time I have to spend sitting in chat spamming "WTS Occulus 2 SOJ, PST" and so on. It even has POSITIVE side effects like allowing you to price check a piece of gear (which many nubs have not figured out how to do yet, judging by the volume of PC PLEASZE that I see on trade chat).

So can we just stop, please?
Reply Quote
No, it's just that now the bots & gold sellers are upset too.
Most of us have made peace w/ how terrible this game is, now the gold farmers are chiming in too.

WTF you talking about?
Reply Quote
No, it's just that now the bots & gold sellers are upset too.
Most of us have made peace w/ how terrible this game is, now the gold farmers are chiming in too.

Say what now? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Reply Quote
Zyron, did you accidentaly post your whingy dribble in the wrong thread because what you said doesn't seem to have anything to do with what the OP was saying.
Reply Quote
GL OP. Not many people want to accept this because they see all these uber items going for billions of gold and think they can never get that much. It seems a lot of them somehow think that because you can just click a button and buy it, it's like shopping instead of trading. But they seem to forget that you actually need the gold to "buy" it with and then they remember that they dont have billions of gold.

These are of course the same people who got uber godly gear by, yep you guessed it, "buying" items with sojs or HRs or chipped gems or w/e the currency was at the time
Reply Quote
It's different in that it's much more efficient, so much so that attempting to acquire wealth through playing the game as opposed to playing the AH is quite foolish if you are looking to maximise your wealth gain per hour.

Anyway, that's a problem Blizzard has recognised, hence the introduction of the BoA items. That said, getting people off the AH into a game with little content might not work out too well.
Edited by powpowsick#2212 on 2/18/2013 10:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
D2 became great only because of it's flaws. The economy was flawed and so were the items. It was so bugged.... This is what Diablo should have been but I would have made it differently.
Reply Quote
no different? When was the last time you traded gold in D2 for items
Reply Quote

You miss the point entirely, guy. WHAT you're trading for an item is of little consequence - be it gold, gems, universally agreed upon items of value, etc. Read the original post.
Reply Quote
i am not a big fan of BOA items
but the auction house is nothing like person to person trading, where you can negotiate the price
they should have made the AH set-up more like d2jsp, only have the actual trade like it is now to prevent scammers
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Monoxide27

Gold in D2=SOJ/runes. The currency just goes by a different name.

OP, most of the people on these forums are blithering idiots, unfortunately. They don't understand things like probability, the purpose of the AH/RMAH, itemization etc. They just see something they want and declare the game bad because they can't immediately have it.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Gigabyte
but the auction house is nothing like person to person trading, where you can negotiate the price

So you prefer Craigslist to Ebay - that's fine, but the market dictates the price and always has.
Reply Quote
OP, most of the people on these forums are blithering idiots, unfortunately. They don't understand things like probability, the purpose of the AH/RMAH, itemization etc. They just see something they want and declare the game bad because they can't immediately have it.

Amen, brother.
Reply Quote
We used things like SOJs (Stone of Jordan rings, for the uninitiated) and runes to trade because it was difficult to trade pieces of gear directly. We needed a way to monetize our transactions and make our assets (our items) more fluid. Instead of waiting for someone to want to trade their particular unique for your particular unique, we traded for SOJs and then turned those SOJs into the gear we wanted.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else? Kind of like gold in D3?

No, it doesn't. Because D2 had gold also.

It sounds more like using Rubies or Emeralds as the currency instead of gold. I don't see people using those are currency yet.

02/18/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Deaded
The AH just takes what we were already doing and opens it up to a larger pool of prospective buyers.

Technically, yes. However, in D2, a player could farm for their own gear and actually have that progression last for quite some time while regularly finding useful items. In D3, you rush to the AH because the chances of finding an upgrade are so abysmal. As a new 60, you can run from Act 1 Inf to Act 4 Inf and you'll maybe get 3-5 upgrades. The rest will be vendor/salvage trash. In D2, A1-A5 would net you roughly 1-2 upgrades per act. Then you run it again and you'll still get items that you might have a use for. Meanwhile, in D3, you farm A3 (alkaizer run or some similar runs) and... you're farming for items to AH, not to equip. That's not the D2 farming I knew.
Reply Quote
The rest will be vendor/salvage trash. In D2, A1-A5 would net you roughly 1-2 upgrades per act.

No you wouldnt lol. Not in hell anyways
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]