Diablo® III

Quit QQing - the AH is no different from D2 trading

you're right prices should be dictated by the market. that's why I hate this BOA nonsense so much. want to have godly crafting, fine but make all items and all mats sellable. Let the free market determine the price
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 02:34 PMPosted by mikeab7925
flipping is a RL problem as well. look at gas prices.

OBAMA.

Someone was going to say it, I figured I'd be first.
Reply Quote
gas prices supply and demand too. limited resource getting more and more limited...guess where prices will be in 25 years

only problem both in game and RL is D-bag companies and D-bag people colluding to set prices regardless of demand or supply but to max profits.
Edited by xJNx#1314 on 2/18/2013 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ QED this is the topic post I was referring to.

I'm all for messaging between parties for items listed (to haggle gold price) but not for bartering.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 02:36 PMPosted by xJNx
you're right prices should be dictated by the market. that's why I hate this BOA nonsense so much. want to have godly crafting, fine but make all items and all mats sellable. Let the free market determine the price

That's a completely different conversation, duder. Not the least of which would be an attempt to control gold inflation. Open a new thread if you want to beef on BOAs.
Reply Quote
LOL LOL LOOOOLLLL

It's completly different from d2.

-No interaction between buyer an seller

-no trading items for items

-no bartering

-no scamming

-Incredible pool of reference for item prices,which means less noobs to buy really cheap from.

-Browsing the AH in d3 is 100x more boring than finding trade games in D2.

-you can't flash your gear and get instant reaction of amazement from other players in this !@#$ing stupid boring AH.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Are you saying that from the very get-go, unless you ignored trading in d2 completely, you had next to zero chance of finding upgrades for yourself..?

Really..? You're that smart, are you?
Reply Quote
LOL LOL LOOOOLLLL

It's completly different from d2.

-No interaction between buyer an seller

-no trading items for items

-no bartering

-no scamming

-Incredible pool of reference for item prices,which means less noobs to buy really cheap from.

-Browsing the AH in d3 is 100x more boring than finding trade games in D2.

-you can't flash your gear and get instant reaction of amazement from other players in this !@#$ing stupid boring AH.

- There is no interaction, that's a fair assessment. I argue that this doesn't matter, but I digress.

- No trading items for items? You can do that in chat - trading items for items is less efficient and far more difficult and complicated than trading items for currency. Next time you go to Walmart, see if they want to take some of your old shirts for some new underwear.

- Scamming still happens when people try to trade in game. Read the forums.

- Noobs will still fail to do an adequate search of the AH and post stuff for far less than it's worth. This is how flippers make a lot of their best scores.

- That's your opinion - I think finding trade games sucks.

- I'm sure your epeen is huge. There's a link to your profile when you make forum posts - people can check it out there. Further, people can inspect you in game to see what you're wearing... you know, when you're playing the game...
Reply Quote
The D2 economy was fairly whimsical to me because it basically became rooted in cheating through the duping of SoJs and eventually runes. Prior to the Rust Storm, you also had Ith weapons and Occy SoJs that achieved a certain value of notoriety and use. Heck, they may still exist, even.

D3 has its own issues with duping, be it via rollbacks or other nefarious methods, but I think we've been fortunate to see not many, if any, glitched up items becoming the norm of an economy. Botting is certainly a taint to the economy, as well, creating constant streams of gold and item generation that no honest player can really hope to match on their own schedules.

Which basically segues into people manipulating the AH to achieve similar gains for less effort. I've ranted in the past on how flippers aren't good for the game and the AH system in its current iteration doesn't encourage sellers to be honest (No up front taxation instead of simply on sale with a dash of secondary account bloating preventatives and timed resale restrictions based on sell value). For the "honest" people, you're basically left selling items worth 6 figures or less unless you get really lucky, and odds are those won't even sell because you've got hundreds of thousands of others players in the same boat trying to claw their way up the gear wall. As such, gear value under a certain point plummets while the other skyrockets.

My only gripes with the BoA items at present are they don't have recipes for all slots (yet) and that the gold requirements don't match an honest player/non-AHer's average gold generation. I'd probably put the ratio around 2-3 hours per one crafting attempt, as acquiring DEs in this span aren't really the issue. Though they'll probably have to turn to the AH for brimstones if they're working on amulets. Basically, these people aren't finding 6+ digit value items regularly, and not for lack of playing. Blizz can say they intended this for to be hardcore players (not the game mode) all they want, but they're not the ones who needed this kind of equipment growth help.
Reply Quote
The AH just takes what we were already doing and opens it up to a larger pool of prospective buyers. It makes our item assets more fluid and reduces the time I have to spend sitting in chat spamming "WTS Occulus 2 SOJ, PST" and so on. It even has POSITIVE side effects like allowing you to price check a piece of gear (which many nubs have not figured out how to do yet, judging by the volume of PC PLEASZE that I see on trade chat).

So can we just stop, please?

The problem is that with the AH the amount of items on the AH relative to the amount of players online buying items is WAY off.

In Diablo 2... the amount of people online could only trade with players that were also online. In Diablo 3 players can just throw everything up on the AH. The amount of items that are available to the buyers that are online is much higher. This is where Blizzard has to step in and change the drop rates to reflect the availability of all these items....

So... items become more rare because all the buyers that are online have access to more of the items that have dropped... than they did in Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 03:00 PMPosted by Glock
This is where Blizzard has to step in and change the drop rates to reflect the availability of all these items....

Are you a member of the "Bliz stealth nerfs legendary drop rates" tinfoil hat club?

I was with you until you got to that point. But to speak to your initial point that supply outweighs demand - I think that's part of why they've limited us all to 10 items on the AH at a time and limited those postings to 1.5 days.

This doesn't mean trading in D3 is fundamentally different than trading in D2, in my opinion. It may shape the economy, but mechanically, it's still similar. Further, I'd still rather have my items exposed to an enormous user base (even if it does mean that the supply of items is very high) in order to get them sold than to have to actively troll through lobbies, chats, forums, and the like to sell my stuff. Either way - we're exchanging goods for a commonly agreed upon item of value in the game.
Edited by Deaded#1753 on 2/18/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 03:02 PMPosted by mikeab7925

What that guy said makes no sense from an economic standpoint. He was nice enough so I won't rail on him.

our economy in RL and in game are tanked because people like you can't find reason in what he stated

Whoopadeedoo, the state of the economy is your fault. Make jobs now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]