Diablo® III

Quit QQing - the AH is no different from D2 trading

- No trading items for items? You can do that in chat - trading items for items is less efficient and far more difficult and complicated than trading items for currency. Next time you go to Walmart, see if they want to take some of your old shirts for some new underwear.

In Diablo 2 I could spend a couple hours in and out of trade channels and trade games. I would have traded my items off and usually acquired what I was looking to buy that day.

In Diablo 3 I can post items over and over for weeks at almost nothing and they never sell. I have not found anything worth over a couple million gold. At this pace I will be stuck in limbo between AH fees, repairs, crafting... and attempting to try different gear for different builds... to get some sort of upgrades. I will be stuck in gold limbo... I won't go broke but I will never gain anything.

If this is what being a casual (down to a few hours a week) player means... why would I ever want to continue playing this game?
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
Something we discuss frequently is how the Auction House has impacted the game and how we can refocus players away from farming the Auction House and onto farming monsters.

Diablo III is about killing monsters and finding evermore powerful enemies and items to kill them with. Trading is just one method by which players can obtain items, and the Auction House is currently the most popular way to do that. We feel that gearing up is perhaps too skewed towards trading right now, and account-bound items are a way of balancing that out with farming.

We don’t really like that, for most players, all of your current gear is very likely to be something you’ve found on the Auction House.

^current Diablo 3 devs admitting that the auction house in an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyQscMKUNuo

^fast forward to 3:20, David Brevik, creator of Diablo 1 and 2, intimating that the dynamics of the auction house need to be revised many months ago.

You may have no problem with the current iteration of the AH, and that's fine, but people who have developed all 3 Diablo games and collectively have decades of video game design experience disagree with you.

I would post more of my own thoughts, but it's like beating a dead horse at this point, so I figured I'd just link what the people who matter think.
Edited by Cryogen#1749 on 2/18/2013 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Or Blizz can do the sensible thing and not take the AH into consideration. They can respect the AH for what it is, which is a free market trading platform. Design the game and let the free market do its own thing.

I Agree. I can also suggest another choice to make up for their being "more items available to buyers"... they could create more diversity in usable items and builds. Allow players to use different builds that require all kinds of different/various affixes.

That way... there may be more items available to the public... but there is much more variety available. Players could collect the sets just for their build... or sets for multiple builds. That is what I miss from D2. Multiple characters of various classes with various builds and gear sets per character and build. I am fine with only having one of each class in D3... but only if we could actually change to varying builds that were worth while.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Glock
- No trading items for items? You can do that in chat - trading items for items is less efficient and far more difficult and complicated than trading items for currency. Next time you go to Walmart, see if they want to take some of your old shirts for some new underwear.

In Diablo 2 I could spend a couple hours in and out of trade channels and trade games. I would have traded my items off and usually acquired what I was looking to buy that day.

In Diablo 3 I can post items over and over for weeks at almost nothing and they never sell. I have not found anything worth over a couple million gold. At this pace I will be stuck in limbo between AH fees, repairs, crafting... and attempting to try different gear for different builds... to get some sort of upgrades. I will be stuck in gold limbo... I won't go broke but I will never gain anything.

If this is what being a casual (down to a few hours a week) player means... why would I ever want to continue playing this game?

Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

I research all of the items I sell on the AH and undercut the lowest (reasonable) price. My stuff usually sells in less than a day. If you're after instant gratification from your sales, that's not always gonna happen - the same could be said for D2. At the end of the day, some things won't sell for what you think they're worth, but what you think it's worth doesn't really matter, now does it?
Reply Quote
I research all of the items I sell on the AH and undercut the lowest (reasonable) price. My stuff usually sells in less than a day. If you're after instant gratification from your sales, that's not always gonna happen - the same could be said for D2. At the end of the day, some things won't sell for what you think they're worth, but what you think it's worth doesn't really matter, now does it?

Im not going any where selling a few items a week making 1-2million a week. Im not in this game solely for a gold grind.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 2/18/2013 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Glock - Stop crafting for 4 weeks and tell me if your gold balance builds up or not.

@Cryogen - The vocal minority manage to yet again divert the developers main attention away from aspects which do need an overhaul!
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Glock

Im not going any where selling a few items a week making 1-2million a week. Im not in this game solely for a gold grind.

I started out with gear that was what I could afford - make smart investments in your gear and resell it when it's time to upgrade. Between that, the gold you make actually playing, and any items you find and sell, you should see constant progression.

I don't know what else to tell you man, what do you want from the game?
Reply Quote
The OP and the people agreeing with him are idiots. Instead of belittling every single person that disagrees with you, open your eyes.

Trading is DIFFERENT FROM SELLING.

I saw some genius copy/paste the definition of trading from a google; if the dumbass took the time to comprehend what he posted, he would be able to notice that the AH IS NOT FOR TRADING. IT IS FOR SELLING.

And please, OP, stop. Gold in D3 is not the same thing as ITEMS in D2. In D2 we were reduced to trading items because gold was worthless. D3 is the exact opposite; gold is everything, and items are worthless to trade.

Sorry, AH is not the same as D2 trading.

Oh, and dumbasses, this is not an anti-AH post. Just an anti-dumbass post.
Reply Quote

Whoopadeedoo, the state of the economy is your fault. Make jobs now.

Sorry ... no time. Too busy crafting ...

When you're BIS in a week, don't whine to us about how you cannot afford upgrades anymore, sir!
Reply Quote
The OP and the people agreeing with him are idiots. Instead of belittling every single person that disagrees with you, open your eyes.

I saw some genius copy/paste the definition of trading from a google; if the dumbass took the time to comprehend what he posted, he would be able to notice that the AH IS NOT FOR TRADING. IT IS FOR SELLING.

And please, OP, stop. Gold in D3 is not the same thing as ITEMS in D2. In D2 we were reduced to trading items because gold was worthless. D3 is the exact opposite; gold is everything, and items are worthless to trade.

You can stamp your feet and protest all you want, but you need to offer more than contrary statements if you want to prove a point. An actual argument would be awesome.
Reply Quote
I started out with gear that was what I could afford - make smart investments in your gear and resell it when it's time to upgrade. Between that, the gold you make actually playing, and any items you find and sell, you should see constant progression.

Currently, I could care less about getting that cool item with Int, CD, CC, and IAS... I could care less about doing a CM wizard build. I just don't find that fun. I want other options for character design... not just more CC, CD, IAS, etc.

I currently play this game from time to time because I like Diablo games. I enjoy the running around killing stuff and seeing what happens. I find that fun. I enjoy that part of the game.

But... the current character design... I don't care for. I don't even check the AH any more.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 2/18/2013 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Currently, I could care less about getting that cool item with Int, CD, CC, and IAS... I could care less about doing a CM wizard build. I just don't find that fun. I want other options for character design... not just more CC, CD, IAS, etc.

I currently play this game from time to time because I like Diablo games. I enjoy the running around killing stuff and seeing what happens.

But I can say... the current character design... I don't care for. I don't even check the AH any more.

So you play for fun and don't care about the AH - that's fine, man. You're worried about character design, which I'm sure a lot of us would agree on... and on the same point, many of us are not satisfied with itemization and all that lot - but that's a completely different topic from the whole AH vs Trading arc.
Reply Quote

Sorry ... no time. Too busy crafting ...

When you're BIS in a week, don't whine to us about how you cannot afford upgrades anymore, sir!

I don't want to sound mean but how do you upgrade "Best In Slot"?
Reply Quote

I don't want to sound mean but how do you upgrade "Best In Slot"?

That's what I mean! How do you?
Reply Quote

I'm that idiot with a UCLA degree in economics.

And I have a Law Degree, with an undergraduate degree in mathematics. If you want to compare epeens, let's go
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]