Diablo® III

Version not compatible after 2/13 updates?

So I went to log in to D3 using my Sony Viao running Windows 7 and when I click the icon for my launcher, I get the following message.

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I tried right clicking and running it as administrator and I got this message.

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Diable III\Diablo III Launcher.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I followed that pathway to the Diablo III folder, clicked directly on the Diablo III application and got another error message. A quick check online told me to go to DxDiag and hit "Run 64-bit DxDiag". It had a short green load bar at the bottom left. It ended and I closed the window.

After this the third message changed to the following.

[Bar at top] Unsupported 16-Bit Application [Bar at top]
The program or feature "\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please Contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Unfortunately, while I can tell the third message is different, I cannot remember the wording of the first version of it.

I opened windows update and there are 9 separate updates that installed yesterday, though I do not know if they installed before or after I played in the afternoon.

Any advice? 0_o
Edited by GoGoCharlie#1231 on 2/14/2013 1:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh! I just went and closed the third message and the first version of it popped up.

"Failed to launch "Diable III Launcher.exe"!
Error 216: This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of
Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see
whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program,
and then contact the software publisher.
Reply Quote
Ok, so I did some more searching and found someone with the same problem. A blue told them to delete the "C:\ProgramData\Battle.net" folder. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue for me as the launcher file is still unusable.

I am going to try a re-install. I'll post wether or not it works come morning. My net is VERY slow, so it probably will take a while.
Edited by GoGoCharlie#1231 on 2/14/2013 3:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have this same problem, and did what tech support said of deleting the battle net file. It did not work so i uninstalled and tried to reinstall and now i am receiving the message before the cd will run the installer program. any help would be appriciated
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Baconator80,

Can you post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: dxdiag (In Vista, type dxdiag in the search field)
Hit Enter or OK

Click on the Save All Information button at the bottom, and create a dxdiag text file, and copy and paste it ALL here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]