Diablo® III

Issue with PC restart

Hello,

I got this problem for 2 weeks now. Every day, once per day, my PC restarts without any warning while playing D3 (no lag, no freeze, PC is just shooted down). I haven't got this problem in any other games, which have higher system requirements than D3. I play D3 for 6 months now and I have never had before experience with this issue. I am ok after this "restart duty" for whole later gaming time (hours). Next day is there the same problem. I play just HC, so it's getting really annoying. Almost lost my 38 para barb for 3 times. I am glad that my friends saved me. Thank you for any help/advice.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
mOrS,

PCs won't shut down and restart without a reason. The game doesn't have the ability to restart your computer either, though it can stress components, heating them up. If they get too hot and the factory cooling has been diminished by dust buildup, they could reach the threshold where they'll either shut down or reduce performance.

I'd first check the temperatures to see if overheating is happening.

Download and run HWMonitor from: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.21-setup.exe

Now start the game and let it run several minutes. Then exit or alt-tab out and see what the highest temperature is that was reached for both the cpu and gpu.

Another possibility is that you're actually getting a Windows Blue Screen error which if Windows is set up accordingly, will restart the computer after it occurs.

Try turning off the "automatic restart" option on your computer. This way, the computer will display an error message instead of rebooting each time the error occurs.

Windows XP:

Click on the "Start" button
Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Click on the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" box
Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" option
Click "OK"

Windows Vista/7:

Click on the "Start" button
Right Click on "Computer" and choose "Properties"
Click on the Advanced tab
Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
Click OK in the System Properties window.
Reply Quote
Thank you a lot for your response.

I followed your tips. I downloaded HWmonitor and played for 40 mins with unchecked automatical restart. Computer didn't restart, but lags started for the last 5 mins of my run.

Here are temperatures after my game:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=312bou8&s=6

Please, are these numbers normal? If not, what do you recommend me please? New PC is out of my student budget:D

It's rly weird, that this issue started after 7 moths of great and smooth gameplay.

Thank you
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
mOrS,

Those temperatures all look fine, but since you didn't experience the symptom you first described, it may or may not mean anything. Lag is a new symptom it would seem. Unfortunately, it can be caused for a variety of reasons so it's sort of hard to troubleshoot unless it's persistent.
Reply Quote
Ok, thank you again.

Have a nice day
Reply Quote
Hello,

so the problem persist. I have played for 3 hours today and after 1,5 hour my PC rebooted again when fought elite pack even with unchecked automatical restart. PC temperatures were same as yesterday.

I know that you must hate this site, but please check this topic from today. I don't know if there can be some possible association.

[removed]

Thank you

/e: Downloading now lates NVIDIA driver. I had 295, newest is 310. I don't know if this can cause my problems.
Edited by Omrakos on 2/14/2013 12:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
mOrS,

If your computer is rebooting randomly. I would replace the power supply. Sounds like you mike have a bad rail.

things that cause your computer to reboot.
1.) Heat - usually cpu fan not working
2.) Memory Failure
3.) Power Supply
4.) Virus
5.) Your finger
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]