Diablo® III

Lots of FPS dips and stutters on GTX 680

I've been experiencing a lot of FPS dips and stuttering/frame skipping lately, even when out of combat. I run the game with everything maxed, fullscreen and vertical sync enabled. My specs are more than enough to run most games maxed (except of course Metro 2033... Damned poor optimization in that title).

i7-3770K (OC'd to 4.5GHz)
ASUS P8Z77-v DELUXE motherboard
ASUS GTX680 Direct-CUii TOP (stable, stress-tested OC of +52MHz on the GPU clock and +212MHz on the memory clock)
16GB Corsair Vengeance

Even with this computer build, I get frame skips of around half a second (lose ~30 frames or so) before the game recovers. This happens every 5-10 seconds.

I've went into the BIOS and reset the OC to stock, as well as used Precision-X and reverted the GPU OC to stock. Same issues.

Then I tried to disable in-game vsync and force it via the NVIDIA control panel. Same issue.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply Quote
Have almost the exact identical setup except the GTX680 is a gigabyte model (on 310.90 and stock speeds) and I only have 8GB GSKILL ram. I have absolutely no fps or stuttering issues at all. Are you using standard HDD or an SSD? I'm using an Intel 520 cherryville 240GB SSD.
Edited by Grenth#1130 on 2/13/2013 6:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Not the best card ever, but huge performance degradation with this recent patch. The game is so choppy with everything off even, I can hardly play.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Just re installed Diablo 3 I also have a GTX 680 and the game hangs right when your attacking and is kinda of jittery throughout, definitely not smooth. I remember playing the game last year and had no issue with the same hardware.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/13/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Grenth
Have almost the exact identical setup except the GTX680 is a gigabyte model (on 310.90 and stock speeds) and I only have 8GB GSKILL ram. I have absolutely no fps or stuttering issues at all. Are you using standard HDD or an SSD? I'm using an Intel 520 cherryville 240GB SSD.

A HDD is not a bottleneck.
Reply Quote
I tried to move diablo 3 from my toshiba 2tb 7200 rpm hdd to my 60gb corsair force 3 ssd, still lag. 2500k @ 4.5g, 16g 1866 ram, 2gb 7850 1125/5500 (13.2 beta5 driver latest from amd). This is very noticeable at act 3 bridge crossing...
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 11:34 PMPosted by Matsom

A HDD is not a bottleneck.

I never claimed it was a bottleneck. I was just trying to help find what may be causing his issues.
I'm not having any issues, so I'm just trying to see if he had any hardware differences to help narrow it down. I did have asset loading frame drops and skipping issues until I swapped from hdd to ssd. Not saying that will solve it for everyone, but you have to start troubleshooting somewhere.
Reply Quote
Yea I've got the same problem and our builds are quite similar power wise, I do have the game installed on my SSD's that are set at raid 0, and still nothing. My Specs:

CPU - i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5ghz
Cooler - Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-M Pro
Power Supply - Raidmax 730w
Graphics Card - Asus GTX680 4GB
Ram - 16GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600mhz
HDD - 1.5GB Seagate 7200rpm
SSD - 2x 120GB Gskill Phoenix III
Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc DVDRW
Fan Controller - NZXT Sentry 2
Fans - 1x 230mm Cooler Master, 9x Thermaltake 120mm
OS - Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
Reply Quote
i have same video card, and same issues, well diablo 3 seems have poor optimization, other games just shine
Reply Quote
Damn no fixes in this thread either. Having the same problem the OP is talking about, with almost identical gear (different motherboard).

Nothing I try seems to fix the problem. The lack of blue responses is an indication this is too small an issue or that its something I need to live with?

Pity because I was getting back into the game with 3 friends + looking forward to the expansion.
Reply Quote
View profile
Damn no fixes in this thread either. Having the same problem the OP is talking about, with almost identical gear (different motherboard).

Nothing I try seems to fix the problem. The lack of blue responses is an indication this is too small an issue or that its something I need to live with?

Pity because I was getting back into the game with 3 friends + looking forward to the expansion.

think its possible its a NVIDIA issue? not a Blizzard issue.
just throwing it out there. you may want to try several graphics options and different driver sets before throwing the blues under the bus.
Reply Quote

think its possible its a NVIDIA issue? not a Blizzard issue.
just throwing it out there. you may want to try several graphics options and different driver sets before throwing the blues under the bus.

I have tried every driver from 308 to the beta 349. I'm currently using the 302.18 driver as there is no visible difference between them and all drivers below 320 are discouraged in use by Diablo 3 at startup as they are recognized as outdated.

Next the Nvidia control panel; I have tweaked with pretty much all the settings and taken the advise of TheHugeGuy from another thread relating to this issue. Windowed fullscreen, vsync in diablo 3 off but adaptive in the control panel, 1 pre-rendered frame - etc. I did find differences in the various settings (as some gave me an even worse experience than others did), but none of them solved the problem.

I will call with the shop who provided my hardware tomorrow after my work to see if they can find any faultyness in my hardware, as that is the only way I can explain the symptoms right now. I was still hoping for a knowledgable response here regarding the software or settings though.

P.S. I also did a clean installation and used the repair tool of the game twice.
Reply Quote
Replaced my video card with a new one.
- no change, still a choppy game

Replaced my RAM with new RAM (corsair 16gb) because it was showing errors.

Replaced my HDD with a new one.

Installed Diablo 3 on my SDD.

!@#$ed around with settings even more, to the point of checking all max frames in game.
When set to 65, the choppyness is significantly less.

But what am I supposed to do about this? Getting kind of sick and tired of it.

Some specs for people who might want to help:

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
PSU: 700 Watt Cooler Master
CPU: Intel i7-3820 @3.60GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600
VC: nVidia GTX-680 2GB
SSD Crucial m4 128GB
HDD 1000 GB Sata III
Reply Quote
View profile
Some specs for people who might want to help:

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
PSU: 700 Watt Cooler Master
CPU: Intel i7-3820 @3.60GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600
VC: nVidia GTX-680 2GB
SSD Crucial m4 128GB
HDD 1000 GB Sata III

should run fine with those specs. ive got less then that and it runs without problems.

post your DXDiag and D3Prefs so we can look at more of the settings and drivers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]