Diablo® III

True Wizard DPS?

When building my barb, I could always depend on those little stats to tell me my true strength. Now that I've been building my wiz up, I've noticed that it simply doesn't work that way with this character.

My most recent change, going from a Tal Rasha's to a Storm Crow, netted me a negative 8000 DPS (according to my stats). However, in the process, I gained an additional 9 APoC. The net result was the ability to continuously spam Meteor with the Molten rune instead of Star Pact and my Wiz has, as a result, become much more formidable. Not to mention the additional damage augmented to my LL from the Storm Crow has all but made up the difference of the 150 int and 6% CoC I lost.

Also, changing from Storm Armor to Energy Armor has given my wiz a bit more sustainability in combat.

Just to test, I took my Wiz out on MP4 where I had previously been slaughtered, and I fared well in Act 3.

So when figuring out what kind of damage Wiz's can do, is there some sort of rule or guide? Or is it pretty much "try it out and see"?
Reply Quote
Usually it's "try out and see"
You can, though, record like 5 minutes of gameplay in one spec and then 5 more minutes in another, to see if there is any major difference.
For CM Wizards, it's standard test your DPS/Sustain/Mitigation on Ghom, because it's a constant DoT.
Reply Quote
Could always time an azmodan kill and divide by his displayed HP at that monster power level.

The longer the test, the more accurate the reading....as long as you don't have to run around.
Reply Quote
It also depends on your build.

For example, a CMWW or meteor build can be very gear intensive. With horrible gear you do horrible dps, but with the right gear you can sustain the build and hit pretty good numbers. For Archon the dps is basically set by your Archon rune. If you have Improved Archon, you do 3.75x your char sheet dps (more if you have cold blooded plus follower with cold weapon). Otherwise you do 3x your char sheet dps (again, more with cold blooded+follower with cold weapon).
Reply Quote
basically for most build utilizing meteor or any form of AP spender, AP management is the key. You may sacrifice sheet DPS for more APoC and do more damage overall. Just need real test to see which suits best.

Like a WD just "lol 40k DPS MP 0 noob" at my new SNS wiz, and then he's silent for the rest of the run after I killed as fast as his 100k DPS WD on MP 4. Wiz DPS is weird.
Reply Quote
If you're using a cm/ww build, you can use the calculator on this page to simulate your effective dps:

http://d3cmww.com/cmww
Reply Quote
Ok, I did my old build (88k dps) vs my new build (80k dps) and it was much more effective with the new build and the Molten rune with meteor.

I was holding down the left mouse key and constantly clicking the right (LL and Meteor respectively) and I absolutely slayed the !@#$ out of Ghom.

If the 18,384,322 on MP4 is correct, it took me a little over a minute (72 seconds) to kill him, which puts me at about 250k real dps.

The older way took me about 100 some seconds, putting me around 175.

Good changeup, I'd like to say.
Reply Quote
Ok, I did my old build (88k dps) vs my new build (80k dps) and it was much more effective with the new build and the Molten rune with meteor.

I was holding down the left mouse key and constantly clicking the right (LL and Meteor respectively) and I absolutely slayed the !@#$ out of Ghom.

If the 18,384,322 on MP4 is correct, it took me a little over a minute (72 seconds) to kill him, which puts me at about 250k real dps.

The older way took me about 100 some seconds, putting me around 175.

Good changeup, I'd like to say.

Awsome! With SNS you can get around 400k dps with only 80k char sheet with an introductory gear set (though introductory doesn't mean 1mil, the set will still cost a bit since you need high APS and crit). I can get around 1 mil effective dps with about 150k char sheet dps using the build.
Reply Quote
Did my first meteor crit for 1M. I feel like a true man.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]