Diablo® III

Magic weapon/forceweapon/conflag?

Guys, I think somebody wrote that conflag gives another 10% to any attack if you use magic weapon. I kind of doubt this since I'm not using fire based spells/weapons. Can somebody chime in on this? I don't want to waste a passive slot if it doesn't do anything!

Thanks!
Reply Quote
o_o
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 05:28 PMPosted by pabrt
o_o

So you're saying NO I assume...
Reply Quote
Conflag will trigger if you are using a weapon that deals fire damage and a physical attack or a fire attack. A chan's wand is a great way to keep it up for CM as ex blast is physical. Also, if you're using a triumvirate and black dmg weapon (or any other item that adds % fire dmg), any attack that does physical dmg will add fire dmg to the attack and trigger. I hope that's not too convoluted. Also, spectral blades is all physical damage.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Zaksa
Conflag will trigger if you are using a weapon that deals fire damage and a physical attack or a fire attack. A chan's wand is a great way to keep it up for CM as ex blast is physical. Also, if you're using a triumvirate and black dmg weapon (or any other item that adds % fire dmg), any attack that does physical dmg will add fire dmg to the attack and trigger. I hope that's not too convoluted. Also, spectral blades is all physical damage.

This is almost completely wrong. Physical damage is an elemental type so it behaves the same as cold, arcane, lightning, etc. Specifically, physical damage spells do not transfer any elemental types to the damage from sources such as weapon, OH, tal's amulet, etc.

Spectral blades has NO elemental type, which is why it works with SB. If you read the tooltip it just says Deals XXX% damage. Explosive blast says Deals YYY% damage as physical.
Reply Quote
Spectral Blades is the only thing we have that works like that. The DH Multishot rune Suppression Fire does as well.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/17/2013 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
so it's 'only' procs +10% with firebolts, meteor, or specific fire weapons (burning axe), BUT it's like cold blooded where is a 'party buff' as long as others are using fire spells, weapons.

Sorry to be retarded but it's a bit confusing...
Reply Quote
Guys, I think somebody wrote that conflag gives another 10% to any attack if you use magic weapon. I kind of doubt this since I'm not using fire based spells/weapons. Can somebody chime in on this? I don't want to waste a passive slot if it doesn't do anything!

Thanks!

My guess is the person was using sparkflint and thought the fire damage came from MW, but sparkflint deals fire damage. It's not worth using conflag with sparkflint though because it only applies the conflag to the mobs hit by sparkflint, which is a single target skill.
Reply Quote
for conflag proc.

a) firebolts, meteor. mammoth hydra, spectral blades with fire weapon
b) followers can't proc conflag (ie; you or another wiz (with conflag) must apply the fire damage)
c) hellfire proc (self)
d) storm crow proc
e) basic attack with fire weapon.
f) firewalkers
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/20/2013 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 06:12 PMPosted by DethAxe
BUT it's like cold blooded where is a 'party buff' as long as others are using fire spells, weapons.

nope, cold blooded is not a party buff

conflag is, and only requires you to use a fire attack
Reply Quote
so it's 'only' procs +10% with firebolts, meteor, or specific fire weapons (burning axe), BUT it's like cold blooded where is a 'party buff' as long as others are using fire spells, weapons.

Sorry to be retarded but it's a bit confusing...

Like chrisloup said, it only procs on basic weapon attacks with fire weapon. That means using an AP spender, like WW or Arcane Orb, when you're out of AP. Even if you have a fire weapon it doesn't proc off any skills except for spectral blades.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Loroese

This is almost completely wrong. Physical damage is an elemental type so it behaves the same as cold, arcane, lightning, etc. Specifically, physical damage spells do not transfer any elemental types to the damage from sources such as weapon, OH, tal's amulet, etc.

Spectral blades has NO elemental type, which is why it works with SB. If you read the tooltip it just says Deals XXX% damage. Explosive blast says Deals YYY% damage as physical.

Funny, all of my 750 hours of play time shows me otherwise...
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Zaksa

you can prove it otherwise by using a cold weapon and explosive blast and see if you can chill a mob.

you could still proc conflag if your basic attack comes out at any stage. (eg; out of mana to cast ww, basic attack appears and procs conflag).
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Zaksa

750 hours of play time doesn't mean you're right. In fact, I can guarantee you're wrong, because I just tested it myself.

I equipped a fire tal's amulet, staff of herding, and +39 min damage worth of rings. That makes every attack do the same amount of damage. My CR deals 441 damage every hit. My spectral blades hits for 250 or so each hit with healing blades. I activated Conflag passive. The first hit of spectral blades still did 250 damage, the rest did 270 or so, meaning fire damage is applying to spectral blades, which is the only part we agree on. CR still did 441 each blast. If conflag was applying to CR then the second and third blasts would deal more damage.
Reply Quote

750 hours of play time doesn't mean you're right. In fact, I can guarantee you're wrong, because I just tested it myself.

I equipped a fire tal's amulet, staff of herding, and +39 min damage worth of rings. That makes every attack do the same amount of damage. My CR deals 441 damage every hit. My spectral blades hits for 250 or so each hit with healing blades. I activated Conflag passive. The first hit of spectral blades still did 250 damage, the rest did 270 or so, meaning fire damage is applying to spectral blades, which is the only part we agree on. CR still did 441 each blast. If conflag was applying to CR then the second and third blasts would deal more damage.

Still shows me an increase. Dunno what to tell ya.
Reply Quote

You are either having a basic attack proc conflag for you or hellfire ring, or storm crow proc or firewalkers

you want to be sure,. then do a average test over large samples while naked and oNLY fire weapon and only explosive blast after a single wicked wind attack.

since profiles seems busted, I can't see yours to identify whether any of your other gear is contributing to proccing conflag.

regardless, if you think it works for you. then cheers.

---
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/20/2013 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you want to see for yourself, get a tal's amulet or SoJ with fire damage, a ring with +min damage, and a low level weapon without elemental damage like a Staff of Herding. You need enough +min damage to add more min to your weapon than the difference between max and min, so a 3-4 damage weapon is ideal. Then every attack should do the same damage. With that setup, cast a EB - CR and watch all tics do the same damage, even with conflag. There's too much varience in the damage tics with full dps gear so low damage testing is always the best setup.
Reply Quote

Very well thought out arguments over here.
Edited by nitrocan#1478 on 2/17/2013 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
wow, sorry I asked :p

So, if I have a fire damage tals and a cold SoJ, using S/B which is proc'd? Just to complicate things further...

I _think_ some confusion is that %elem damage DOES bump overall DPS, it just doesn't change the damage TYPE of what you're using. That's why I asked about Sparkflint (firely familiar) -- some guy was saying it actually changes damage TYPE and that's not correct at all...

No sweat guys, I think I'll do some testing and check it myself, but I think the above is accurate
Reply Quote
sparkflint's projectile is fire type
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]