Diablo® III

Waller is a broken affix

02/18/2013 07:56 AMPosted by Traveler
Sorry dude, spirit walk WILL let you out of a wall that you're trapped in
Really? I didn't know that.
So the teleport of thunderclap is the only thing that can't let you through those damn walls, then :P
Reply Quote

So you guys are fine with something that does nothing but one shots you from time to time... its completely unavoidable and no amount of skill in the world can change the out come. Basically its just a random "you die now" bad luck of a roll of the dice? Ya... that is a "game".

very untrue.. as a ranged char, i love waller.. it's fun.. in doors too...
Reply Quote
Really? This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. I do think the new plauge needs to be toned down just a hair.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you really don't like getting trapped by waller and destroyed by arcane beams/other nasty stuff on floor, just do the following. Don't waste your "oh crap button" on moving faster. Simple as that. Your "oh crap button" is teleport, vault, smoke screen, spirit walk, etc. If you are burning your cooldowns and/or discipline on upping your farming speed, then you run the risk of getting surrounded at the corner and dying. I'm gonna guess that HC players have very little issue with the many ways that waller can ruin your day for this very reason.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Deus
Sorry dude, spirit walk WILL let you out of a wall that you're trapped in
Really? I didn't know that.
So the teleport of thunderclap is the only thing that can't let you through those damn walls, then :P

Spiritwalk won't let you walk through a wall if you aren't trapped in it, but it will break you free from a wall that's on top of you, just like it'll free you from frozen or jailed.. It's a funny mechanic, try it the next time you get trapped by a wall on top of you.

Same as pressing the tp button for other characters. I wonder if that will break a freeze of jail? I'm going to have to try it.
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 08:08 AMPosted by HurlingBlood
Really? This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. I do think the new plauge needs to be toned down just a hair.

I think it's fine as with the molten change, You can see plague and move the hell out of the way before it will ever kill you.

This is it. Improve the AI, I don't think the OP is asking to make this affix easy but to correct the AI.

Improve, what do you mean exactly? As I stated, they are already pretty good at kicking our asses while utilizing whatever affix they get. Do you want them to make it easier? So that they are predictable and stupid, that I don't understand.
Edited by Deadzors#1394 on 2/18/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
My only question is this: why can't my WD throw a firebomb over a wall?
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Delfius
I like waller. I just teleport out and pwn them from the other side. :p

So much THIS ! :DDD
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 05:48 PMPosted by Detnyj
The only issue I have ever had with Waller (and it still happens) is when the wall drop directly on my WD and I can not move at all.

I get that one a lot. Other than being IN the wall, the rest aren't that bad, and even that has ways of working around. I guess on higher mp levels I can see the problem, but for the most part eh.
Edited by Asmodeaus#1489 on 2/18/2013 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 1 and 2 had many monsters that were immune to 1 or more schools of damage. This forced the player to use a varied build/gear/strategy to win. For example, Sorcerers would use a Civerb's Cudgel and Stone Curse to melee tri-immune Advocates in D1.

Diablo 3 has Waller and Shielding instead. Having played a lot of D1 and D2, I think this is an improvement overall.

Something still needs to be done to make individual resistances more interesting on monsters and players, and Blizzard hinted in the recent ask the devs monk dialogue that they are thinking about this.

Personally, I think the bigger problem is Avenger: I never notice it and would like to see it buffed.
Reply Quote
I think waller is a fun affix, but if ranged attacks cannot go through walls, I'd expect the walls to block archane sentry, too.
Reply Quote
Waller was just bad when you got walled into place by 3 walls, and then you got desecrated and plagued to death. That wasn't fun at all. However, the current waller is very simple to deal with - pay attention.
Reply Quote
Waller isn't broken, your build is.

Here are a couple things to try.

1. Get some life steal or something to help you recover some hit points while you wait for a chance to move out of the fire...

2. Use a skill, such as teleport that will help you get out of the fire...
Reply Quote
Are there not enough things that get directly nerfed in favor of glass cannon crybabies?

LETS COUNT THEM UP!

1. In 1.0.3 damage in Act 2 was reduced by 66%. Basically you receive 1 damage for every 3.

2. In 1.0.3 damage in Act 3 and 4 were reduced by 80%. Basically you recieve 1 damage for every 5.

3. Soul Ripper and Herald of Pestilence damage cut in half on top of current damage nerfs.

4. Colossal Golgor damage cut by 75% on top of the current damage nerfs.

5. Half of the enemies that ran away are now scripted to walk into you.

6. Enrage timers on all elites have been removed.

7. Elites no longer self-heal when they aren't in combat.

8. Repairing your gear no longer costs plenty to do.

9. Invulnerable Minions was deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and thus got removed.

10. Shielding was deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and got nerfed into the ground. The first nerf was to duration and cooldown. The second nerf was that it could only be up on one monster at a time.

11. Molten damage was reduced. Plagued damage raised to the damage that the nerfed molten is doing.

12. Reflect damage has been deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and has been the glass cannon's bane since the start. This ability is no longer passive and is removed. It's replaced with an activated effect like how shielding works. Even this will probably be nerfed further...

13. Illusionist has been deemed too powerful on Act 3's keywarden by the glass cannon masses that don't want their farming runs slowed down or made tougher and has been removed.

14. Arcane has been nerfed and no longer stacks in several different areas as the ability is designed to be "more spaced out" now.

15. Nightmarish has been deemed too powerful and got nerfed. You can no longer get chain feared and will have immunity for a specific amount of time to recasts. Duration also lowered.

16. Demonic Tremors spawned with 1 additional affix to elites and rare packs to make up for its' immobility. This was another mechanic that made rerunning act 3 less efficient and had to be nerfed and removed at all costs.

17. In 1.0.3 in addition to all the damage nerfs, ALL normal melee attacks of all monsters had been additionally cut in half...stacking on top of the previous damage nerfs.

18. Mortar has been redesigned to "increase the minimum range of its' deadzone". Also there is a graphic on the ground that shows where mortar shots will land.

19. Jailer has been nerfed to the same extent that nightmarish has been in the way it was redesigned.

20. Diablo's Shadow Clones had their damage reduced significantly.

And those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

From the website...
Waller:
Monsters with the waller affix create walls that can trap you or block your path to the monster summoning them. Summoned walls will vanish after a few seconds – if you can afford to wait.

Walls are supposed to trap you and block paths to the monster summoning them. This is basically like crying about extra health because it takes longer to kill them. But you guys don't cry about extra health because DPS isn't hard...
Edited by Zinqf#1619 on 2/18/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Are there not enough things that get directly nerfed in favor of glass cannon crybabies?

LETS COUNT THEM UP!

1. In 1.0.3 damage in Act 2 was reduced by 66%. Basically you receive 1 damage for every 3.

2. In 1.0.3 damage in Act 3 and 4 were reduced by 80%. Basically you recieve 1 damage for every 5.

3. Soul Ripper and Herald of Pestilence damage cut in half on top of current damage nerfs.

4. Colossal Golgor damage cut by 75% on top of the current damage nerfs.

5. Half of the enemies that ran away are now scripted to walk into you.

6. Enrage timers on all elites have been removed.

7. Elites no longer self-heal when they aren't in combat.

8. Repairing your gear no longer costs plenty to do.

9. Invulnerable Minions was deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and thus got removed.

10. Shielding was deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and got nerfed into the ground. The first nerf was to duration and cooldown. The second nerf was that it could only be up on one monster at a time.

11. Molten damage was reduced. Plagued damage raised to the damage that the nerfed molten is doing.

12. Reflect damage has been deemed far too difficult for a glass cannon and has been the glass cannon's bane since the start. This ability is no longer passive and is removed. It's replaced with an activated effect like how shielding works. Even this will probably be nerfed further...

13. Illusionist has been deemed too powerful on Act 3's keywarden by the glass cannon masses that don't want their farming runs slowed down or made tougher and has been removed.

14. Arcane has been nerfed and no longer stacks in several different areas as the ability is designed to be "more spaced out" now.

15. Nightmarish has been deemed too powerful and got nerfed. You can no longer get chain feared and will have immunity for a specific amount of time to recasts. Duration also lowered.

16. Demonic Tremors spawned with 1 additional affix to elites and rare packs to make up for its' immobility. This was another mechanic that made rerunning act 3 less efficient and had to be nerfed and removed at all costs.

17. In 1.0.3 in addition to all the damage nerfs, ALL normal melee attacks of all monsters had been additionally cut in half...stacking on top of the previous damage nerfs.

18. Mortar has been redesigned to "increase the minimum range of its' deadzone". Also there is a graphic on the ground that shows where mortar shots will land.

19. Jailer has been nerfed to the same extent that nightmarish has been in the way it was redesigned.

20. Diablo's Shadow Clones had their damage reduced significantly.

And those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

From the website...
Waller:
Monsters with the waller affix create walls that can trap you or block your path to the monster summoning them. Summoned walls will vanish after a few seconds – if you can afford to wait.

Walls are supposed to trap you and block paths to the monster summoning them. This is basically like crying about extra health because it takes longer to kill them. But you guys don't cry about extra health because DPS isn't hard...

QFT
Reply Quote
Waller sucks, it's my most hated affix as a DH but I live with it and accept it for what it is. For those that say simply go to a larger area, often times that's not an option.

For all the DH that complain about walls, be more careful and strategic.

For all you other classes complaining about other affixes in the past that got nerfed and now mock DH for complaining about wallers, I call you hypocrites.

For those that complained about all the nerfs, I call you elitist snobs.

For those that never complain, I call you fanboys.

And for those that don't complain but provide intelligent constructive criticism, I wish there were more of you.

Hope that covers everyone :)
Edited by Thanos#1268 on 2/18/2013 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP forgot to mention how the mobs psychically pop waller when u are about to spend a mega resource spender, and nullify it.

Another misanthropic design from the team that brought you the death of diablo.

IDENTIFY ALL!
Reply Quote
Waller isn't broken, your build is.

Here are a couple things to try.

1. Get some life steal or something to help you recover some hit points while you wait for a chance to move out of the fire...

2. Use a skill, such as teleport that will help you get out of the fire...

When playing a DH (as it would seem you stopped playing yours ages ago):

1. The walls typically stop DH projectiles from hitting the baddies, thus no life steal or discipline regen.

2. DH classes don't have a teleport like ability last I checked.

Thanks for showing up though.
Edited by Thanos#1268 on 2/18/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/17/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Zoid
I was wondering which affix would be the next "broken and badly designed" one after they nerfed RD.

Hate to tell you this, but most of the affixes are either really bland or poorly designed. They nerfed molten because it did too much damage and could spread too far (for example, if you got blood clan occultists or anything with the fast affix) and then they turned around and made plagued worse than pre nerf molten.

Arcane is probably the only interesting and decently designed affix, and I'm not saying that because I like it. Waller is dumb if you're anywhere besides a big open area (sometimes it will completely screw you, sometimes the mobs will just wall themselves into a box and sit there). Shielding is just annoying, it's not interesting or challenging in any way.
Reply Quote
I have a problem with wallers more than the prenerf RD. The ones that use only a single wall annoy the hell out of me since I sometimes get stuck in it and it doesn't benefit the elites or me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]