Diablo® III

Some D3 mechanics you want improved/fixed...

This is a thread about ALL the ways you want the game improved... lets keep it succict and smart please!

I also want people to come up with new Passives and Runes for existing abilities... I'll start.

And I'll try to update with community responses as I go. Thank you for the help!

New Passives

Barbarians -Sword and Board"... When using a shield allows the user to block 15% more of the time on top of what the shield does. On top of this, when you successfully block, you retaliate for 50% weapon damage (this effect can crit).

New Runes

Barbarian - Berzerk - Choke Up - While Berzerked, your attack speed is increased by an additional 20% (40% Increase overall) This runes would promote speed, healing, and fury generation, while, it may be too fast, it needs to come in 2nd in total damage output to a berzerker using INSANITY. But, with the added speed you get a bonus, but lose some dps.

Barbarian - Berzerk - Bloodlust - While Berzerked, you are healed for an additional 3% of the damage you deal (modified by .20 in Inferno)

Barbarian - Cleave - Onslaught On successful strikes, increases attack damage by 3% stacking 8 times to a maximum of 24% damage for 5 seconds... remember, each strike could or could not net you full damage on the first strike.

Barbarian - Cleave - Batten Down Successive strikes with Cleave will increase armor and resistances by 5% up to a maximum of 25% and will last for 7 seconds.

Old Passive Fixes

Barbarian - Boon of Bul-Kathos - Passive changed to (Reduces cooldown of all "Ancients" moves by .5 seconds upon successful crit)

Old Rune Fixes

Barbarian - Berzerker - Thrive on Chaos removed as this ability is now innate to all berzerker abilities similar to Archon for wizards... opens up a tremendous potential for using all types of berzerker abilities.

Barbarian - Berzerk - Insanity With the new innate Berzerk mechanic, Insanity's damage is reduced to 25% from 100% (similar to Archon) to make up for the extra time that players will be in Berzerk form.

Barbarian -Bash-Punish In desperate need of an icon...

Demon Hunter - Companion - Ferrets - This ability needs an icon to show that the move is active... these guys are very small and hard to see in a fight as well.

Mechanic Fixes

Weapons need to generate fury based on speed... I'll explain... Right now, slow weapons are completely one sided... 2H aren't really even considered as they are terrible fury generators... 1H weapons have great damage, great LS/ LoH potential and generate 50% more fury roughly... throw in "Into the Fray" on barbs, or Arcane power on crit, and you have nothing but love for dual wield type weapons. Slow weapons hit harder... which is great, but it certainly doesn't outweigh the gains from using dual wield...

The answer, allow slow weapons to generate more (resource) on hit than their counterparts based on attack slowness. This would balance the slow and fast weapons market. On top of this, allow for duel wielding of slow weapons for barbs and other classes and simply reduce all stats by 50%... it's pretty simple. For example, a barb with 2 1-handers will get 8 fury per swing from Bash... now, if that same barb is duel weilding 1 handers... they would get 8 fury + a % based on (how slow they are) ... for the sake of example we'll say 12 Fury/ swing... Now, the third example will be... if the barb is wielding one 1-hander and one 2-hander, he gets 8 on his first swing and 8+ (slowness%) on his second. The 2x 2H still gets the 15% increase to speed though... so it works nicely and doesn't discourage their use...

The great thing about this is that it balances 2H and brings them into the realm of good, opens up the 2H market, and also, allows for some neat combinations. So then, the choice becomes not about fury generation, but about what you think is "fun"... Slow weapons will still be slower and do more bone crushing hits. Another great thing is that it bring the shield game back into play... which, will work well with the new "thorns" mechanics coming. While wielding a shield you will still have a slower attack, but you will generate good fury (enough to use moves), while still dipping into your actual DPS a bit in place of beefiness... which I think is the overall point of shields... The top DPS will still be 2x 1H/ 2x 2H/ 1 1H x 1 2H/ 1 x 2H.... Shields will lag behind dps wise, but will provide a huge amount of defense, WHILE still giving good fury (resource) generation.

You wanted it simple Blizzard, and this is simple, and also allows for a great chance to make the weapons market boom, by allowing all types of builds, combinations, and fun! It would be so neat to see someone with 2x 2H Skorns (reduced by 50% stats NOT dps.. obviously bleed effects would also be cut in half.. but, that is the price of dual wielding :P)...

Item Fixes

Allow (energy source) on crit for Barbarians to alleviate the use of "Into the Fray" and allow for more unique builds. Certainly, those who want it, can still use it, but those who want to use the other fun runes, certainly can! Perhaps 7.5 Fury on crit, or perhaps, 15 Fury on crit added to IK set for example...?

I would love to see gems count for (DOUBLE) when placed in 2H weapons... it only makes sense given the new affix rolls that are 2x the normal rolls as well. Yes, it would be 1 large gem cheaper to run with that build, but it might be a neat choice for people as they create more gems and want to keep their dps high without dumping 3 great gems for one that is marginally better... i.e. the 10% increase on green gems per tier.. :(

Monster Affix Fixes

Waller should no longer cause line of site issues... I've noticed that some attacks seem to go through while others do not... in a game based on making (1) set choice compounded with 5 NV stacks that you will lose, making this choice before going into a game in nonsense when you run into this stuff. I should impair MOVEMENT.... NOT ATTACK.

Frozen needs to chill ONLY and not FREEZE... being frozen while arcane beams or fire burn you alive is just stupid... it causes mandatory use of skills and that is a HUGE inhibitor to the fun and vitality of the game... when the orbs burst you will be chilled by % of your run speed... now, the 2 diverging forces that would change the game would be if the orbs will continue to just affect run speed, or, if they affect both run and attack speed. I'm fine with the latter, but take the FREEZE effect out... it's NOT FUN at ALL. Before you say L2P at me, listen to this... I'm not above dodging the balls, but when you are stuck in a spot WITHOUT Berzerk, you have no choice but to take it... but, here is the fun mechanic... let the balls chill you in place for a %, which can stack up to 5 stacks at one time.... so, if you are attacking and running at 100%... each orb that hits you freezes you for 10% slow to attack and run speed. I love the idea! It just sounds fun... I can eat SOME of the chills, but if you get too many you are certainly going to die from either being hit by another spell, or killed from lack of being able to heal yourself through attacks. It then goes from being frustrating to situational, challenging, and fun!
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 3/5/2013 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Except for the fact that cleave is an aoe ability and the other 2 are single target.
Reply Quote
First of all there will always be skills and builds that will not be taken when you are building your character for certain things. If you want high dps then you must take certain skills in order to achieve it. That is how it should be, otherwise you would have Blizz homogenize all skills so each dps skill and defense skill would be identical in every way. Where the only real difference is the flavor of the skill. That would be bad.

Cleave is a good for those that want to build an AoE build to clear trash, but it would be weak against a boss. Or you could use it in a build where you have two good single target attacks, two good AoE's (cleave) and two defensive skills. My ancient crawler build that I had built pre release and thought about trying it out but have not done it yet is based on that formula.

Also bash has a small amount of time it buffs your dps. That is way to small to warrant an icon IMO.

I will let everyone else comment on runes and buffs.
Reply Quote
The Gathering Storm rune for Cleave seems pretty pointless and the name doesn't really fit the effect. Reducing enemies' move speed when you have to stay in melee range to kill them? Lowering their attack speed and calling it something like "Wounding Strike" would make more sense.
On the other hand, they could adjust the effect to fit the name. For example, have the rune change the damage type to lightning and temporarily surround the barb with an electrical "aura" that periodically zaps nearby enemies and intensifies with each successful cleave (stacking up to 3-5 times).

Another rune I'd like to see improved is Pyrogeist for Firebomb. Instead of producing a little fireball-spitting column, it could be cool if it caused the human-shaped plume of fire that forms from the blast to linger and attack enemies for a few seconds before exploding.
Edited by Nexus83#1127 on 2/19/2013 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 11:33 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
That is how it should be, otherwise you would have Blizz homogenize all skills so each dps skill and defense skill would be identical in every way.

All three of these moves are clearly DPS... as is the point... Diablo is offensive heavy. This is how it breaks down....

Frenzy - Small fury generator, speed(to additional frenzy hits) and buff of 20% to damage

Bash - Large fury generator, knockback, and buff to damage of 24%

Cleave... CRAP (should be, Medium fury generator, AoE Attack, Buff of 24% damage) Without the buff, no one is going to use it... it's not worth it... EVER! But, I do love the idea of it.
Reply Quote
The Gathering Storm rune for Cleave seems pretty pointless and the name doesn't really fit the effect. Reducing enemies' move speed when you have to stay in melee range to kill them? Lowering their attack speed and calling it something like "Wounding Strike" would make more sense.

I believe like (HoTA - Devil's Anvil, this is meant as a tanking and "tracking down" move... Runners are always a pain in the !@# in this game)

Hamstring, Cripple, etc would be far better names for slowing, however, Wounding Strike does sound good for lowering attack SPEED.

Thanks, good post!
Reply Quote
DH needs more hatred generating choices...besides hungering arrow and bola shot the other 2 are for the most part non-existent in high mp play. Grenades damage and the unpredictability of how they react at long range make it completely useless in solo play at high mp...Entangling Shot is great in theory but simply doesn't perform.

Smoke screen desperately needs a longer duration.
Reply Quote
Personally I use Cleave - Rupture, and it dishes out far more DPS than Frensy or Bash. Rupture causes people to explode when they die, and demons killed by the explosion also explode instantaneously, so this move can create massive chain-reactions. I can slaughter tough elites by fighting them next to several trash mobs, cleave cleave, boom boom, and the multiple simultaneous explosions just killed the elite for me.

Now on the subject of crap runes, let me begin with the DH's Smoke Screen, and every rune not named Lingering Fog (longer duration). This is especially the case with Breathe Deep, which gives you a whopping 12 hatred per pop. I mean, make it 50 or 100 and maybe someone out there will use it, but 12 is a joke.
Reply Quote
Barbarians need a new passive called "Sword and Board"... When using a shield allows the user to block 15% more of the time on top of what the shield does. On top of this, when you successfully block, you retaliate for 50% weapon damage (this effect can crit).

That 15% would be an insanely high amount considering barbs already have massive mitigation from their main stat and two other purely defensive passives (tough as nails and nerves of steel).
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 12:36 AMPosted by God
That 15% would be an insanely high amount considering barbs already have massive mitigation from their main stat and two other purely defensive passives (tough as nails and nerves of steel).

But, at the end of the day, mitigation is fine and negatively impacts DPS to a point... which is the point I think.

We don't have to argue the small stuff as obviously some number crunching would be necessary, but WHY is there no (Shield) type passive... it boggles the mind. I think that "Sword and Board" would have it's place with the "thorns" overhaul that will be coming in the next several months... (I HOPE)
Reply Quote
Personally I'd love to stack up like a "turtle" and taunt, revenge, crusching advance, and cleave (which could use a new rune that stacks mitigation upon use!?" HUH HUH? On top of this, add in nerves of steel, anti-death passives, and the new thorns mechanic.... etc and you got a fun defense is a good offense build type that will promote shield use... I personally LOVE it...

However, the new thorns buff will have to provide life on hit (OR) the build could focus on life over time, and life after a kill... either way, building for this spec would be sooooo fun!
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 2/20/2013 11:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dol Um Ber Ist
Tal Thul Ort Amn
Ral Tir Tal Sol

I miss this.
Reply Quote
Mantra of not-Conviction: And Overawe while we're at it, is too powerful for even the other Conviction runes to be used.

Way of the Hundred Fists - Maybe not the runes itself, but somehow add some kind of aoe to this skill so it's useable.

Blinding Flash - Everything but Faith in the Light

Breath of Heaven - Infused with Light - Could be useful if it lasted longer, but as it stands, nobody's not using Blazing Wrath

Sweeping Wind - Nothing bad, but could I have Master of Wind and Cyclone together?

Mystic Ally - all of them. At least Earth Ally is a one-mob tank
Reply Quote
Oh, Passives too?

Resolve - Useless when you consider that ranged mobs aren't affected, and I'm not sure if spell effects like Molten are affected

Sixth Sense - Pretty useless with The Guardian's path

Guiding Light - Thanks. As bad as they already are, a passive only usable in multi-player...

One With Everything - It's hard to comment on the incredibly stupid ideas Blizzard has mentioned about fixing this.
Reply Quote
For Demon Hunter:

Smokescreen; Breath Deep. This would've been Iffy useable back when smokescreen was 2 seconds. Now its flat out useless. I'd like to see something like a 35% damage reflect rune replace it, or, buff it to give back say 50 hatred immediately on use.

Likewise, All the Shadow Power runes that aren't gloom are... pretty lackluster. Fixing that is a whole can of worms that I'd rather not touch, seeing as the easy answer is to just nerf Gloom, and nobody wants that.

Marked for Death; Grim Reaper. This could be a really interesting rune... If it had a proc coefficient. So lets just say for the sake of argument, that it gets one of say... 0.125, same as Shuriken Cloud. Nothing earth shattering, but adds some depth to the ability.

Fan of Knives; this isn't really a rune thing, but maybe a 5 second recast instead of 10. Might make it an interesting skill. That would probably mess up the Retaliate rune, but I'm sure there's something that could be done about that.

I'm sure I could think of more, but I'm tired, so yeah.
Reply Quote
Dol Um Ber Ist
Tal Thul Ort Amn
Ral Tir Tal Sol

I can still read the runewords out to this day :P
Reply Quote
Dol Um Ber Ist
Tal Thul Ort Amn
Ral Tir Tal Sol

I can still read the runewords out to this day :P

Allowing players to ADD sockets for runes would be neat, or just sockets in general... I'm noticing with higher MP, the only true upgrades one gets are from crit/ Attack Speed and AR/Vit for survival (however, 30k health seems to be enough for even mp7)... so the game is TOO crit heavy.
Reply Quote
I just want to see an item overhaul... so that whatever the stat is that everyone wants is kinda all over the place... the idea, like D2 being that a person can use just about anything in the game to be better, while certain items fit better than others... I don't want to HAVE to get a Manticore... I don't want to HAVE to get a Witching Hour, these items are so limiting... stop making BiS anything and just make BiS for a certain build... so, the choices become staggering and varied.
Reply Quote
For Wizard:

Buff the damage and radius of RoF - Sleet Storm

Make Teleport work.

Add or change a rune in Slow Time that allows everyone to have some resource regen if they're standing in it. Or if that's too OP, just make it AP regen for the Wiz that casted it. Or, have a rune that makes the bubble travel with you, or maybe be able to cast two bubbles in separate places for 1/2 the duration of one bubble?

Magic weapon could use either a buff to it's % damage increase, or have it do some other effects.

I wish the Wizard had a healing spell. It seems kinda silly that a character that's supposed to have all these mystical powers and whatnot can't even heal himself. Galvanizing Ward just doesn't cut the cheese, and the lifesteal on Magic Weapon is a joke.
Edited by Bukizzle#1560 on 2/21/2013 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Bukizzle
Galvanizing Ward just doesn't cut the cheese, and the lifesteal on Magic Weapon is a joke.

I certainly agree that at the very least make the lifesteal something like 5%... which we all know will be (5x 20%)= Crap... :( UNLESS you have high dmg, which, like Bloodlust for barbarians, if a must when you start doing 400k a wack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]