Diablo® III

DISCUSSION: Marquis Ruby vs Marquis Emerald.

So, I was playing with Phillz (a creative WD player who ripped me in PVP) last night and it came to our attention that possibly Marquis Ruby might be better with overall damage for OS Chanto Will.

Has anyone tested the actual real dps with Marquis Ruby?
For example, I unsocketed my Marquis Emerald by spending 5M, placed Radiant Ruby (don't have Marquis Ruby yet) and ran few MP10 Demonic Essence run in Warriors Rest.

I can't tell you the number but from strictly the pure feeling of the efficiency, Radiant Ruby with new min-max certainly took down the elite as fast or may be faster than having Marquis Emerald.

It can make sense b/c with Ruby wiih new min-max, you are causing the damage through out instead of just occurrence of critical chance and possibly Ruby might be better for faster APS like most of SNS CM wizzes.

Any comment from anyone thought about this or have done a test?
Reply Quote
http://d3up.com/

And no, they are garbage.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 06:02 AMPosted by nitrocan

elaborate?
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 06:05 AMPosted by yodatoy

elaborate?

Just go to that website, put in your character to the calculator and simulate your wand with a marquise ruby instead of an emerald and you'll surely see a damage decrease.
Reply Quote
i love it when people post conclusion with no aim, apparatus, method beforehand.

I would be interested to see the numbers behind the ruby too as it looks like it can really bring your weapon dps up a fair bit, i'm not sure about the marquis but the buff took my hellrack from 900's to over the 1000 mark with great results for the scoundrel. They also seem to be doing much better on my barb although he is a few lvl's shy of 60 yet.
Reply Quote
Well, it wasn't the conclusion from my end. I wanted some feedback from anyone. and from my defense, I said "it feels like" so I already admitted that my test result was not conclusive.

However, I was thinking, how about we do MP10 Ghom test.

You run 5 with Marquis Emerald and avg the time to kill the Ghom. Do exactly the same thing with Marquis Ruby. Then compare the number. Keep every skill the same (anyone wish to invest 5M on me so I can run some test as it gets quiet expensive unsocketing the Marquis gem).

Or any way of coming up with a good test run? We all know that sometimes sheet dps you see vs the actual game dps can be different.

There are three definite scenerios obviously:
1. Marquis Ruby < Marquis Emerald significantly or negligibly
2. Marquis Ruby > Marquis Emerald signficantly or negligibly
3. Marquis Ruby= Marquis Emerald

If number 3, then it gives a lot of flexibility for those already have many radiant gems.
1 or 2, then we can make sure that we don't waste our gold turning radiant gem into marquis and never ever have to unsocket them.

Due to the cost of unsocketing and account bound, I hope we have a definite guideline with these BIS gems.
Edited by yodatoy#1838 on 2/15/2013 6:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Once you get to about 50% CC, 1% of CD is worth about 3.5x 1 point of weapon damage in terms of DPS gain. So I doubt rubies are better for any of us.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/15/2013 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
I tested on ptr - ghom mp10. I lost about 10 seconds changing to ruby. Emerald still best for me.
Reply Quote
High CC + Low-Med CD = Use Emerald
High CC + High CD = Use Ruby
Low CC = Ruby (not sure about this one)
Reply Quote
High CC + Low-Med CD = Use Emerald
High CC + High CD = Use Ruby
Low CC = Ruby (not sure about this one)

what do you consider high cc and high cd? what's the guideline?

I'm at 56cc and 295 CD.

@ veda, are you over 2.74 bps at your current build? it says 63% IAS? so may be Ruby depends on the aps too?
Edited by yodatoy#1838 on 2/15/2013 7:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is my solo build, i run with enchantress to hit 2.74.

I tested at 2.74 and 3.01. Both netted me longer ghom kills.
Edited by Veda#1190 on 2/15/2013 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
according to d3up i lose 1k dps with marquise emerald
Reply Quote
It was kinda cool to see (and I didn't even realize) until I clicked my Chanto OS wand which used to be 1160 dps. Now it reads 1469 dps. I initially panicked but realized I had radiant ruby. with marquis ruby, it will take me another 30 to 1499 which is very respectable number in terms of constant dps and getting CD 55% of the times is just icing on the cake?

I personally think if that's the case, ruby is still something for us to consider over emerald due to constant high dps output?
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:31 AMPosted by yodatoy
what do you consider high cc and high cd? what's the guideline?

It will be different for each person depending on each person's attck speed, crit chance, and base wpn dmg.

But if you have ~2.0 aps, ~50%CC, and have 300% CD without a gem....a ruby would likely be better.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:54 AMPosted by BDF
But if you have ~2.0 aps, ~50%CC, and have 300% CD without a gem....a ruby would likely be better.

K. that makes sense. Ruby that is...
Reply Quote
You need like 500% unsocketed critdamage for ruby to outdps emerald, GL!
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 08:43 AMPosted by Rouge

Really? hmm...argh...I'm trying so hard to use Marquis Ruby. LOL
Reply Quote
reasons y ruby wont work for most cms imo

1. chants doesnt have native crit dmg, ruby appears to be really effective for weapons that have native crit dmg, ie ur calamities, echo furies, even manticores

2. might be wrong on this but because chants is elemental we get less of a dps boost from rubies?
(could really use some knowledge on this one)

3. at our high cc, crit dmg occurs so frequently that ive turned off crit dmg numbers, and a major limiting factor for most cm wizards dps is crit dmg, an exception to this rule might be someone like aph, or kiza etc (the 250k+ dps club) who have lots of crit dmg on ammy, gloves, and rings already
but i doubt it
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 2/15/2013 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:43 AMPosted by MacacoCaco
according to d3up i lose 1k dps with marquise emerald

That's because you're not a CM wizard and not using chantodo's.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 08:43 AMPosted by Rouge

The lower your weapon's base damage the higher the relative increase a ruby will provide.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]