Diablo® III

DISCUSSION: Marquis Ruby vs Marquis Emerald.

well, it's going to cost some money but I will test this out in game tonight. Still looking for 5M research grant from anyone. LOL
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 09:22 AMPosted by yodatoy
well, it's going to cost some money but I will test this out in game tonight. Still looking for 5M research grant from anyone. LOL

Just use a sheet dps calculator online...
Reply Quote
Someone from PTR made those breakpoint charts, and I looked at the one for one-handers/source sorted by attack speed and % crit damage, and it did not say marquise ruby was better. I also checked d3up.com.

I broke my d3up.com, however; the Blizzard api for it isn't working properly (I already stuck a marquise emerald in my weapon and resynched my d3up.com profile, but it's still broken).
Reply Quote
Mathematically speaking, neigher ruby nor emerald should impact the effective dps multiplier for CMWW if all other things are kept the same. That means that whichever gives the higher char sheet dps should be used. For most CMWW that means emerald since we grab CD last so most have low to moderate CD values. On a side note, with the odd behavior of CM with WW, it's also possible we get some inflation from CD for the same reason, which means that even with the same char sheet dps emeralds might still be better for CMWW.

For Archon it depends a lot on your gear. With 36.5% crit buffed, if I had 200 more crit damage on gear, ruby would be better for me, with 43% bonus weapon damage on my wand.. Currently emerald is better for me by about 4k dps. I feel Archon has a better chance of having ruby more useful because of the use of zuni boots and items with that similar elemental affix raises the effectiveness of weapon damage. Also, high bonus damage to weapons helps.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 08:50 AMPosted by yodatoy
You need like 500% unsocketed critdamage for ruby to outdps emerald, GL!

Really? hmm...argh...I'm trying so hard to use Marquis Ruby. LOL

with marquise emerald

http://i.imgur.com/HdllUaF.png

with marquise ruby
http://i.imgur.com/2KS2TcL.png

practically the same, but the ruby is a solid option for pvp
Reply Quote
@ Loroese Thanks!
But I'm just going to be stubborn and I will the ONLY sns/cm wiz with M. Ruby in the socket. Heh.
@macacocaco, you have over 1200 dps chantodo wand with OS????
Edited by yodatoy#1838 on 2/15/2013 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
@ Loroese Thanks!
But I'm just going to be stubborn and I will the ONLY sns/cm wiz with M. Ruby in the socket. Heh.

my first thought upon reading this is how many pub games would someone have to join before u get called a noob for socketing a ruby :)
Reply Quote
@ Loroese Thanks!
@macacocaco, you have over 1200 dps chantodo wand with OS????

that's your profile btw
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 10:09 AMPosted by SteelPhantom
my first thought upon reading this is how many pub games would someone have to join before u get called a noob for socketing a ruby :)

let me be the first one.
Reply Quote
Can't we test these things with radiant stars?
Reply Quote
Ya you can.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 10:49 AMPosted by JellzRoc
Can't we test these things with radiant stars?

naw, we can't

radiant emerald to marquise: 100 % to 110% ( stat increased by 10% )

radiant ruby to marquise: 130 to 160 ( stat increased by 23% )
Reply Quote
Damn it doesn't scale. Muthaf0cker
Reply Quote
Although emerald is probably slightly better for most cases especially if you have lots of cc but let's not forget that sheet dps is sheet dps and it doesn't translate 100% accurately into actual damage output.
Reply Quote
I am currently using a ias wand. I tired using the website d3up and enter a stats with socket wills and comparing both gem.

i find tt the %dmg will cause different result and i actually will gain from a ruby instead. My current CD is about 311 so i guess above 300 might have some different result from a ruby and emerald.

Also to note ruby will reduce the initial burst dmg better as compare to emerald?
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Sphinx
Although emerald is probably slightly better for most cases especially if you have lots of cc but let's not forget that sheet dps is sheet dps and it doesn't translate 100% accurately into actual damage output.

What are you? Some kind of witch doctor or something?

This is the wizard forum, where archon is tied to sheet dps and (much to loorose's lament) CD !@#$s around with multipliers.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:37 AMPosted by BDF

This is the wizard forum, where archon is tied to sheet dps and (much to loorose's lament) CD !@#$s around with multipliers.

You need to calm the fck down. I don't know what your problem is. Dude get a grip.....
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:37 AMPosted by BDF

I actually haven't seen CD mess with my multipliers, though I have only tested it a couple times. The sad part is I don't know if I should be happy with that result or not...
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Sphinx
but let's not forget that sheet dps is sheet dps and it doesn't translate 100% accurately into actual damage output.

specially if you totally rely on critical hits (i.e. emerald)
Edited by MacacoCaco#1683 on 2/15/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
You need to calm the fck down. I don't know what your problem is. Dude get a grip.....

RAAAAGE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]