Diablo® III

DISCUSSION: Marquis Ruby vs Marquis Emerald.

Hmm is d3up.com broken ?

A Marquise Ruby gives me 7k sheet DPS unbuffed.

I'm at 2.84 aps, 50cc, 239 cd (not including the gem in Chantodo).
Reply Quote
Hmm is d3up.com broken ?

it's working and very accurately.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:48 AMPosted by BDF
You need to calm the fck down. I don't know what your problem is. Dude get a grip.....

RAAAAGE

No, you're just another one of those online keyboard warriors who start something over nothing and then act all cool as if you don't care. Also you probably think sheet dps = consistent archon beam damage at all times, according to what you said earlier. No. Archon beams can crit too, just go mp5 Azmodan solo and you will see the azmodan hp bar doesn't go down uniformly. If you knew that you wouldn't have said what you said in the beginning. If you had 400k dps it doesn't mean you do exactly 400k dps every tick of the beam. Sheet dps takes cc/cd/ias all into account which means every damage you do is most likely different and the way character sheet dps calculated on your toon menu isn't always 100% accurate. That's what I was trying to say. Don't just copy other people's archon build gear and then act like you know everything.
Reply Quote
Hmm is d3up.com broken ?

Guess I'll be 2nd wiz after Yodatoy to try a marquise ruby in my wand.
Reply Quote
Seems to me the Ruby would only work better if you had relatively low dps (<100k?) and high aps (>2.73?). Also the more CC you have, the better the Emerald is going to be, no matter what else you have. Since CM needs high CC to begin with, I don't see why one would choose the Ruby. It certainly doesn't help my Archon build (~10k buffed dps loss w/ 48.5 CC + 286 CD w/o gem).

Note: My CM build doesn't use a OS Chant, so I'm just speculating.
Reply Quote
View profile
main difference tho is that archons stack less ias, and more crit dmg for the most part, most archons also have elementals mods from zuni and tri
this should help boost rubies for archons more than cm wiz builds

thx arkane, i forgot elemental mod from tr ammy as well
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 2/15/2013 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
main difference tho is that archons stack less ias, and more crit dmg for the most part, most archons also have elementals mods from zuni and tri
this should help boost rubies for archons more than cm wiz builds

Ahh, that makes sense, the sheet dps boost I am getting from Marquise Ruby is probably taking into account my Stormcrow with 8% elemental and tal rasha ammy with 6%.
Reply Quote
@Sphinx

I'm not sure what impression you got from my posts, but the first was intended to be very tongue-in-cheek, and the latter was to be interpreted as me 'raging' at your rebuttal...not as a taunt directed towards yourself.

And sheet dps IS all that matters for the archon beam.

It has hidden ticks that scale with attack speed similar to all other channeling spells so it takes into account IAS .

These hidden ticks can and do crit as you've mentioned, thus taking into account crit chance and crit dmg

and of course your wpn dmg dictates how large the base tick value is (not the same as displayed value)

So when you roll all of these factors together, you do exactly get what your sheet value calculates.
Reply Quote
Everyone who's angry direct your rage toward me. Btw you're all baddies!!!

Furthermore I can't wait til you guys do all the work and let me know what gem is best!!! Thanks in advance ;-)
Reply Quote
Everyone who's angry direct your rage toward me. Btw you're all baddies!!!

Furthermore I can't wait til you guys do all the work and let me know what gem is best!!! Thanks in advance ;-)

Well the consensus seems to simulate your gear with both gems on d3up.com to easily know which one is better.

It all depends on your aps, cc, cd and % elemental dmg.

Now, the only question that remains is that if cd gives you more effective dps. Theorically, it should not, but that remains to be confirmed.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Arkhane
Guess I'll be 2nd wiz after Yodatoy to try a marquise ruby in my wand.

yay, welcome on my band wagon. =)
Reply Quote
Lots of people seem to be thinking that %ias and +%Elemental Damage make ruby better than emerald. WRONG :3

Here's the formula for your sheet dps: ((base weapon dmg + offhand dmg + elemental dmg / (1 + %ED) + ruby dmg) * base weapon aps + jewelry dmg affixes) * (1 + cc*cd) * (1 + %ias) * (1 + %ED).

Ruby affects the number in the first brackets, Emerald in the second. %IAS and %ED have nothing to do with effeciency of Ruby over emerald, they stand on their own.

What makes ruby better than Emerald? High base weapon aps (before %ias), low base weapon damage, low cc, high cd. You will also be hugely buffed from ruby if you're playing hardcore and using a shield ;p

Hope this helps!

Edit: got formula a bit wrong - it's so huge :O fixed
Edited by HellKitsune#2562 on 2/15/2013 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hmm is d3up.com broken ?

It's broken because certain items are not synching properly!

Did you even read the top notice there?

"New BoA Items and Marquise Gems not syncing properly
It's come to my attention that the new BoA items (some?) are not syncing properly, and the new Marquise Gems aren't showing up on items either. I've contacted Blizzard regarding these issues and will keep you posted! I also posted a long update on /r/d3up about the site and 1.0.7 updates. If you find any issues with the new gems, please sent me an email with a link to your build!"

My EF has been broken since yesterday, my profile and all gear simulation attempts are broken.
Reply Quote
Are D3up really accurate?

because it says i will get 12k unbuffed dps (lol) if i'm using marquise Ruby instead of marquise Emerald, i really want to test it but it will cost a bomb because i dont even have radiant star ruby.
Is it because i have 8% elemental damage from Storm Crow? but i really doubt so it can increase my dps by 12k..

I'll really appreciate if someone can help me with this :)
Edited by Fatamorgana#6950 on 2/15/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

It's broken because certain items are not synching properly!

Did you even read the top notice there?

"New BoA Items and Marquise Gems not syncing properly
It's come to my attention that the new BoA items (some?) are not syncing properly, and the new Marquise Gems aren't showing up on items either. I've contacted Blizzard regarding these issues and will keep you posted! I also posted a long update on /r/d3up about the site and 1.0.7 updates. If you find any issues with the new gems, please sent me an email with a link to your build!"

My EF has been broken since yesterday, my profile and all gear simulation attempts are broken.

although i dont have BoA items, it's working for me, marquise ruby calcs on d3up matched with my toon dps sheet
Reply Quote
Are D3up really accurate?

because it says i will get 12k unbuffed dps (lol) if i'm using marquise Ruby instead of marquise Emerald, i really want to test it but it will cost a bomb because i dont even have radiant star ruby.
Is it because i have 8% elemental damage from Storm Crow? but i really doubt so it can increase my dps by 12k..

I'll really appreciate if someone can help me with this :)

if you dont have any BoA, then the calculations are working properly

02/15/2013 01:02 PMPosted by jenpeezey

simply add one socket to your EF and change your amulet to something that is not BoA
Edited by MacacoCaco#1683 on 2/15/2013 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lots of people seem to be thinking that %ias and +%Elemental Damage make ruby better than emerald. WRONG :3

Here's the formula for your sheet dps: ((base weapon dmg + offhand dmg + elemental dmg / (1 + %ED) + ruby dmg) * base weapon aps + jewelry dmg affixes) * (1 + cc*cd) * (1 + %ias) * (1 + %ED).

Ruby affects the number in the first brackets, Emerald in the second. %IAS and %ED have nothing to do with effeciency of Ruby over emerald, they stand on their own.

What makes ruby better than Emerald? High base weapon aps (before %ias), low base weapon damage, low cc, high cd. You will also be hugely buffed from ruby if you're playing hardcore and using a shield ;p

Hope this helps!

I think you made a mistake (if I reference d3up.com). Your last bracket should not include %ED. It is actually the bonus damage from passive and abilities.

Based on d3up.com, % elemental dmg does come into play:

Bonus Damage = (MH Real Min Damage + MH Real Max Damage + Bonus Min Damage + Bonus Max Damage) * Bonus Ele %

And based on patch notes from 1.0.7, rubies increase the min dm and max dmg of the weapon:

These rubies have also had their bonus damage calculations changed, and will now add damage flatly to both the minimum and maximum values on weapons
For example, if you have a weapon that does 150-200 damage and you socket a Perfect Square Ruby (which adds +30 minimum damage/+30 maximum damage), your weapon will do 180-230 damage
Edited by Arkhane#1173 on 2/15/2013 1:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Checked d3 up. Unless its wrong for both my wiz and my crit damage heavy monk the green marquis increases dps for me over red
Reply Quote
I think you made a mistake (if I reference d3up.com). Your last bracket should not include %ED. It is actually the bonus damage from passive and abilities.

Based on d3up.com, % elemental dmg does come into play:

Bonus Damage = (MH Real Min Damage + MH Real Max Damage + Bonus Min Damage + Bonus Max Damage) * Bonus Ele %

Indeed, bonus damage can be calculated like this, but this doesn't mean my last bracket shouldn't include %ED. You can simply put the (1 + %ED) bracket to the left and you will get the d3up formula. Except in my formula +weapon elemental damage is also present which is not affected by %ED, hence the division by (1 + %ED) to not overcomplicate an already huge formula ;o
Reply Quote

Hope this helps!

Small error I think, the jewelery damage should be added with OH and other sources of min/max damage, before applying the weapon APS, not after. Also, the ruby damage is increased by the bonus damage on weapons, with the max of 50%.

Something like:
(([base weapon dmg + ruby dmg] * (1+BD) + offhand dmg + elemental dmg / (1 + %ED) + jewelry dmg affixes) * base weapon aps ) * (1 + cc*cd) * (1 + %ias) * (1 + %ED).

BD = bonus damage%.

Ruby changes the weapon damage, emerald changes the damage multiplier from crits. I'm not saying that elemental damage makes ruby better than emerald but instead that elemental damage makes ruby better than having no elemental damage. Higher IAS also makes the ruby better than lower IAS, but CC and CD do the same, so in essence higher dps stats makes everything better, and there is a point where adding 100 or 110 CD isn't going to be as good as the 120 or 160 average damage ruby.

As I said above, that will likely happen at very high CD values, which is not something most CMWW wizards have. As Archon, we stack the elemental damage in addition to crit and CD so the dps multipliers get large, which makes ruby more appealing. That still doesn't mean ruby is better than emerald for Archon, but it does work to make the ruby more competetive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]