Diablo® III

DISCUSSION: Marquis Ruby vs Marquis Emerald.

02/16/2013 08:43 AMPosted by MacacoCaco
Given that you only have 250% cd without the emerald and you are no longer using talli amulet, the marquise emerald is a clear choice.

he only has 200CD without marquis emerald.
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 08:45 AMPosted by yodatoy
Given that you only have 250% cd without the emerald and you are no longer using talli amulet, the marquise emerald is a clear choice.

he only has 200CD without marquis emerald.

200+ 50 native cd
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 08:45 AMPosted by yodatoy
he only has 200CD without marquis emerald

Who is "he"?

I just checked diabloprogress, and there is only one wizard in the top 20 using a marquise ruby. I'm glad I'm not wasting gold just to make a gem I won't use.
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 08:49 AMPosted by jenpeezey
he only has 200CD without marquis emerald

Who is "he"?

I just checked diabloprogress, and there is only one wizard in the top 20 using a marquise ruby. I'm glad I'm not wasting gold just to make a gem I won't use.

b/c they usually have a very high crit chance
Reply Quote
Hello,

The Marq Ruby will always be better if your weapon has +% damage modifier.

Wrong. If i put a Marq ruby into my Archon wand with +43% weapon damage, I lose dps over an emerald. In fact, I would still lose dps if I upgraded my 100 CD gem to a Marq ruby, and I don't even have 40% CC buffed. It depends on other stats, but the +% damage modifier makes the ruby much more competetive.

Also, to those saying ruby is better because of the more consistant damage, when you have 50% crit or so you crit very often. For any kind of windup spec where mobs last more than a few seconds the damage will be pretty consistant with either gem. Really the only issue where the added weapon damage might be considered better, with a lower sheet dps, is low level Archon farming where adding a ruby could let you one shot trash mobs that might otherwise take an extra half second of channeling to kill. However, the limiting factor for Archon is usually elites kill time and the crit damage will normalize over time so that the higher char sheet dps will be better.
Edited by Loroese#1415 on 2/16/2013 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Then can we all agree on this?

Marquis Ruby = Marquis Emerald b/c the dps is negligible?

Before patch, we had 100% of weapons with radiant emerald.

After 1.07 patch now we can have

80% Marquis Emerald, 20% Marquis Ruby.

It comes down to your preference. Now I'm stuck with Marquis Ruby b/c I do not wish to spend 5M to unsocket it. but I don't mind. =)
Reply Quote
Then can we all agree on this?

Marquis Ruby = Marquis Emerald b/c the dps is negligible?

Before patch, we had 100% of weapons with radiant emerald.

After 1.07 patch now we can have

80% Marquis Emerald, 20% Marquis Ruby.

It comes down to your preference. Now I'm stuck with Marquis Ruby b/c I do not wish to spend 5M to unsocket it. but I don't mind. =)

I'll definitely agree to that. We now have options and either works fairly well. Some might get more out of Ruby, some might get more out of Emerald, but you shouldn't be mocked for using either now. Before the patch using anything except an emerald was just a terrible idea. Now if only the topaz were even mildly useful in a weapon...
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Loroese
I'll definitely agree to that. We now have options and either works fairly well. Some might get more out of Ruby, some might get more out of Emerald, but you shouldn't be mocked for using either now. Before the patch using anything except an emerald was just a terrible idea. Now if only the topaz were even mildly useful in a weapon...

hooray! Very good conclusion. We now have two options instead of one. Either choice will be fine.
One is not better than the other.

so

Look in your stash. if you got more Rubies then go for Marquis Ruby. If you got more Emeralds then go for Marquis Emerald. In game effective DPS will be very negligible. and save yourself some gold. For me it ended up being 65M research.
Reply Quote
but for you, you just RMAH that gold back up so it's all good :D

i think the spending concern only really applies to those that spend a good deal of time to farm/AHmerchant for their golds, not the ones that drop money on insta-gearing
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 2/16/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ruby or emerald, it depends on several factors: your total weapon damage (including those on rings & amulets), your total crit chance and your crit dmg. Ruby offers a + dmg straight up while emerald offers dmg in terms of (crit) %. I believe emerald is the way to go for the high ends.
Reply Quote
02/16/2013 01:15 PMPosted by Alesso
i think the spending concern only really applies to those that spend a good deal of time to farm/AHmerchant for their golds, not the ones that drop money on insta-gearing

exactly, so I will do all the expensive testings for those who enjoy farming for gold. so they know the choices. unfortunately, I don't have much time to farm gold so I have to take the expensive route.

for me Ruby gave me higher sheet dps over Emerald. But according to Arkane's calculation, if you have CD over 288 without Emerald, then go with Ruby. Below, then go with Emerald.
Reply Quote
There isn't any reason to spend much gold to determine the amount of dmg gained from either a ruby or an emerald. Since the effect on dmg of either a ruby or emerald scale linearly you just have to compare two equal gems, weapon without a gem compared to weapon with a either an emerald or a ruby. A little simple division will give you the dmg gain per point for both gems, then you can just multiple that factor by the number on the gem you're considering using. For my DH, rubies become superior to emeralds at the radiant star level, the multiplication factor for an emerald is 100 vs. 130 for a ruby.

If I ever find enough rubies I'll switch from an emerald to a ruby. If something is off with my calculation I'll find out then, since every time I change an item the ratio between the emerald and ruby shifts slightly. For my build at the moment I'd gain 780 dmg if I switched to a radiant star ruby.
Reply Quote
View profile
Read this while I was at work...

it hit the popular topic sometime before I got home...

Sorry if my question was already answered in discussion and im being redundant but it was TLDR.

heres the question--

If I have a Poison Damage weapon with 500 Poison damage and 500 physical damage, does the added damage from Ruby make it 500 Poison and 500+X physical?

If thats true, it means rubies benefit from Elemental Damage items the same way as physical weapons? Thanks if anyone can answer this for me.
Reply Quote
Read this while I was at work...

it hit the popular topic sometime before I got home...

Sorry if my question was already answered in discussion and im being redundant but it was TLDR.

heres the question--

If I have a Poison Damage weapon with 500 Poison damage and 500 physical damage, does the added damage from Ruby make it 500 Poison and 500+X physical?

If thats true, it means rubies benefit from Elemental Damage items the same way as physical weapons? Thanks if anyone can answer this for me.

Yes, the bonus damage is physical damage.
Reply Quote
Why choose one when you can have both at once? ;)
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 09:04 AMPosted by BDF
The lower your weapon's base damage the higher the relative increase a ruby will provide.

Not true. Its mainly affected by AIS. Most faster AIS weapons have lower base damg... Cuz they hit more... faster... But CC and CD definitely affect it too
Reply Quote
Here's a link to my dps/EHP spreadsheet that I use and maintain:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/47182-dps-and-ehp-spreadsheet/

I'm posting it here because I just updated it to include options for rubies in the weapon. Since the popular site seems to be having some issues with calculating dps with each gem, I thought some people might want an easier way to compare emerald to ruby than inserting it in their weapon. The downside is you'll need to manually input your gear stats for each item. However, there's a comparison box at the bottom of the Equipped Items tab that shows what your dps would be with each Marq gem.

Feel free to post in the thread if you have any issues with it.
Reply Quote
i think BLizz with these new gems should've put a compare tool b/w the gems.. so u don't have to be forced to incur the 5mil unsock cost to see the difference..

just the same as it would be nice to have the AH coded too to be able to compare items against your own stat by stat so you can see the difference if you had the item without buying first..

[ r ]
Reply Quote
Essentially, if you have over 2.7 aps as a true cm wiz should have, ruby all day. If you are an archon wiz or meteor/kite build, go for the emerald. And of course if you feel like wasting the slot, go for a topaz.
Reply Quote
Oh, and the %damage on weapons affects the damage added by the ruby, so the 45-50%damage already on your chantodo will make more damage, and sites don't seem to calculate this properly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]