Diablo® III

BOA is not ARPG

Which is a disastrous state given the central role of loot as a reward mechanism in an ARPG.

You think I played GTA just for the story? Loot is central, not pinnacle. I'd like more customization with appearance. Loot diversity should improve with additional content.

Who ever played GTA for the story? Lol! I'd hardly consider that a reward mechanism for it. Central reward mechanisms for that were weapon/vehicle unlocks. (Although the story to VC was really well done - in part because they copied Hollywood blockbusters! Lol!)

Yes, loot is central which is why it deserves so much more development time than it has received. Fixing itemization should have been their first priority after the initial round of bug fixing. This BOA bandaid wouldn't have been necessary if they addressed it timely. The dev time spent implementing these changes will be worthless when they finally get around to fixing itemization. They could have done something else that would offer long term appeal that wouldn't be trashed the moment other fixes went through. Something as simple as designing more random events would have been dev time better spent.
Reply Quote

Who ever played GTA for the story? Lol! I'd hardly consider that a reward mechanism for it. Central reward mechanisms for that were weapon/vehicle unlocks. (Although the story to VC was really well done - in part because they copied Hollywood blockbusters! Lol!)

Yes, loot is central which is why it deserves so much more development time than it has received. Fixing itemization should have been their first priority after the initial round of bug fixing. This BOA bandaid wouldn't have been necessary if they addressed it timely. The dev time spent implementing these changes will be worthless when they finally get around to fixing itemization. They could have done something else that would offer long term appeal that wouldn't be trashed the moment other fixes went through. Something as simple as designing more random events would have been dev time better spent.

Any business would provide free band-aids and sell improvements for $$$. Wouldn't they make excellent incentives for the expansions?

Not really. Offering things customers expect as part of the original package for extra money is the fastest way to drive them away.
Reply Quote
wow alot of you people are stupid. STUPID!

I call BS. I'm also sure that C9, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, and Spiral Knights disagree with you.

Oh wait, the extent of this player's gaming and general knowledge comes from wikipedia copy pasta.

No I havent played every freeking arpg ever made. No my 1st post was copy and pasted my from brain. my gaming and general knowledge comes from wikipedia? is that supposed to be an insult LOL. for 1 wiki is a credible site for knowledge & facts. 2 Ive been gaming since I was 4years old playing mario bros. on the nes, but you probably dont know what nes is NOOB. ^^
Reply Quote
Thanks, Obama.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Begaria
Thanks, Obama.

yeah agree with me or Ill send my drone army to blow you up. remember I won the Nobel peace prize!
Reply Quote
02/18/2013 06:31 PMPosted by familia
You already got the "original package." Remember DII classic? Many of the improvements came from LOD, which made the game great. For a vanilla, DIII isn't half bad. I never expected infinite hours of content, but I've played well over 500 myself. That's exceptional time for any game. Expansions are easier and more efficient at fixing core issues because it's basically a new game.

I hate people that say stupid crap like this. OHH D2 was bad untell DLC came out. for 1 thats a false statement. and 2 you shouldnt even have the need to bring this up.. it just boggles my freeking mind that people justify the games failure because the previous game got better with the dlc. This game should of been BETTER then the current state of the last one. not less
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 04:42 PMPosted by MrPresident
I hate people that say stupid crap like this. OHH D2 was bad untell DLC came out. for 1 thats a false statement. and 2 you shouldnt even have the need to bring this up.. it just boggles my freeking mind that people justify the games failure because the previous game got better with the dlc. This game should of been BETTER then the current state of the last one. not less
He's part correct. Any expectations you have of this game improving should be based around the expansion. Nothing will change in the current iteration, not really anyway.
Reply Quote
just because he is somewhat correct doesnt make it better. Its a fact that D3 was in development by a company that defined whole genres with their franchise. You dont expect anything less from them then top quality. And yes, this is possible. As said, you have to hire professionals.

Seriously do you expect from a car company like Ferrari to deliver something that is just a Volkswagen? It might get you as well from A to B but its not the same experience.

We are talking here about Blizzard after all. And to say this, FOR ITS TIME(!) (people forget that way to often) D2 was awesome. Compared to today, it has a lot of flaws yes, but it was an new kind of experience back then with very little to no competition. The situaiton today is quite different, as a lot more games are out which offer either the same or similar experience.

Just throwing out mediocre content like D3 isnt going to work anymore. Blizzard has an reputation as game maker.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 05:37 PMPosted by steakncheese
He's part correct. Any expectations you have of this game improving should be based around the expansion. Nothing will change in the current iteration, not really anyway.

My point is D3 should of been better at release and theres no excuse for it. Do I expect the game to get better? Not imo. however I do believe it will for other kinds of players.
Reply Quote
ARPGs are generally defined by the fact that they have randomized loot and "rpg" elements like a class system and storyline.

BOA surely doesn't make the game "not" ARPG but, it hinders the theme in my opinion, which is farming loot and getting a variety of fun drops. With BOA you can watch the essense drop then go stand in town and craft (after you buy some mats from the AH).

The bottom line is, it doesn't take the game in a better direction, it just adds a grey area that creates posts like this.
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 07:09 AMPosted by MrPresident
BOA is not ARPG.

Neither is AH tycoon.
BoA points people back into the loot-hunting direction.

Loot-hunting is an ARPG
Therefore, loot hunting is a positive part of the game even if it's not an optimal solution.
Reply Quote
ARPG = Action Role Playing Game. BOA = Bound on Account. These two things are completely disconnected from each other. If you had said BOA is making the game anti-social or affecting the economy in what you believe to be a negative way, then you may at least have some credence. Given what you said however, you seem to be lacking some logical backings to your rave and rant.

BOA has its advantages and disadvantages in all the aspects. Being able to give someone else your items is not a prerequisite of ARPG.
Reply Quote
ARPGs can exist without trading, and without looting.

I had mixed feelings about BoA items when they were announced. But everytime I see a butthurt thread from a master Auction House trader, the more convinced I get that this was the right call.

Plus they changed my gameplay experience for the better, at least that I can say.
Reply Quote
The new gear has to be BoA. Players have been complaining and rightfully so about the fact. That it seems like you are forced to use the AH at some time in order to progress through the game. The BoA's are the devs answer to the problem.

Right now I have decided to reroll both my level 60 monk and my level 60 wiz and I put two more dreads. A DH and a WD are the two new dreads. The experiment is quite simple. I will see if I can work with self found gear or crafted gear. Where I will not use the gold AH at all. I will allow my barbarian to farm for gear for all four other dreads as well as himself.
Reply Quote
The BOA items are a huge change and help move this game to the correct direction - being able to upgrade your character via playing the game and not staring at the AH for hours.

Anyone complaining about the BOA gear either loves flipping things, playing auction house 3, or doesn't actually enjoy playing the game. With this change, players are now encouraged to actually PLAY the game instead of playing the AH for days on end to get the "Best gear". The "best" gear being from BOA drops, that you can only farm yourself in game, is one of the best changes this game has gotten.

The best solution would have been to delete the AH entirely, but since Diablo3 released with an AH that will never happen. Please think about what you're complaining about before you hop on the "LOL BOA GEAR IN AN ARPG!" bandwagon, it's an insanely smart idea and fixes one of the MAJOR problems with this game. There is no bad about the BOA crafted gear, it was implemented perfectly. If they just randomly threw in BOA gear with zero thought, I could see an issue, but they implemented this BOA gear in the best way possible to fix one of the biggest problems with the game.
Edited by Shiyo#1763 on 2/25/2013 3:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
The new gear has to be BoA. Players have been complaining and rightfully so about the fact. That it seems like you are forced to use the AH at some time in order to progress through the game. The BoA's are the devs answer to the problem.

Right now I have decided to reroll both my level 60 monk and my level 60 wiz and I put two more dreads. A DH and a WD are the two new dreads. The experiment is quite simple. I will see if I can work with self found gear or crafted gear. Where I will not use the gold AH at all. I will allow my barbarian to farm for gear for all four other dreads as well as himself.

Dumbest support of BoA I've seen yet.

"Oh, OK, I can reasonably farm the game for materials, and 100k gold, and craft a good one probably within 50-100 times OR buy one on the GAH for a couple mil"

"Oh Wait I CAN'T!!! Crafted items are BoA so those that HAVE done that, and had decent ones CAN'T list them!"

"Oh SHUCKS! Whatever will I do?? I know, farm demonic essences that drop like rain, THEN I'll buy Gems and Brimstones or junk Leggies"..........

What does this mean? Amulets, gloves, shoulders and bracers thus far that I have seen, are WORTHLESS. So they do NOT even need to drop in the game, no? I mean, you can't trade them, you WON'T use them, so what's the point???

See where this BoA crap is heading???

Until the day comes when these new BoA's are a guaranteed BiS hit on almost every roll then yes I would agree that what you say is true. The only thing I say it will do is bring down the cost of those items to the point of where they should be. Some of those items are overpriced IMO. This new system will make it where only the BiS gear that drops with near perfect rolls will command the high prices it does. That is the way it should be.

In fact I think that all of the other gear that is not grey or white should be BoE. If if was bind on equip, then you would have a definite gear sink. Now as new gear keeps dropping it will not flood the market. It will be used, then either vendored or salvaged for mats.

Let's say that Blizz never made any BoA gear at all. We would not have the new gear, new essences, etc... We know that in time all of the trifecta gear and dualfecta would go down in cost. The only pieces of gear that would stay at the insanely high prices would be the ones with near perfect or perfect rolls.
Reply Quote
Bull Sh1t. Don't quote the example during 90s. We don't have internet during those days.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]